PDA

View Full Version : Post Hike Lethargy

soad
06-18-2006, 14:37
I just got back form a 3-day hiking trip in N. Carolina. We did a series of day hikes and stayed at a hotel at night. My problem is...I can do the hikes just fine (full of energy, not too tired) but when I get back to the hotel, I just crash, I'm very lethargic and have to take a LONG nap. The next day I'm back on the trail no problem. Does this happen to anyone else??

I live on the flatlands, so I can't do training hikes, I do a lot of running and weight lifting (not a true substitute for hiking but it's the best I can do).

Any ideas on what I can do to keep awake after the hikes? Different training, diet changes??? I'm sure if I could put together a few weeks and do a long hike I would get used to it but work will not let me.

Thanks!:)

BDT
06-18-2006, 15:42
Interesting I also live in the flatlands. I have a pretty good training schedule,I run 5-10 mi. 6 days a week and at least 1,000 ft of elevatin gain a day. What I do at the end of a hiking day is to walk for about 10 minutes an hour after I stop so I dont have too bad of a crash. Thats something you can do. An hour or so after your done hiking just take a casual stroll for 10-15 minutes and stetch. Hope that helps! I dont know what else to tell you.