PDA

View Full Version : Walasi-Yi

Aubrey
03-12-2003, 14:14
Anyone know if the hostel is operational this year? Any details?

Blue Jay
03-12-2003, 15:59
:banana
Several hikers from the trailjournals site have written that they've been there so I would assume that it is.

Ox97GaMe
03-30-2003, 20:45
I was up there today. The hostel is open.

slider
04-01-2003, 12:43
The Hostel is open and doing a great job... however..for the family and friends ..just a few steps from Walasi is the Blood Mt. Cabins..wonderful place to meet family..and stay in the comfort of cabins...

Jack Tarlin
04-07-2003, 14:12
Just passed thru there a few days ago; hostel is up and running; they also have a big cabin for rent if the hostel is full.

Winton and his staff were WONDERFUL with the folks I was with; I saw Winton spend half an hour helping this older guy cut almost 50 (!!!) pounds from his pack. (And no, the "older guy" with the 84 pound pack was NOT me!)

Very happy to see that the new owners/management here are doing so well; this is the first Trail business that most folks encounter as they head North, and it's a terrific one.

Lugnut
04-08-2003, 00:25
It will be great if Winton lives up to the reputation of Jeff and Dorthy. That would be an accomplishment but if Jack capitalizes WONDERFUL then it may happen!:banana

thestin
04-27-2003, 14:02
Did Jeff and Dorothy Hansen retire, or move onto other projects? I dealt with them many times and found them to be wonderful people. I remember a couple of years ago that their lease had come up for renewal and there was a campaign to keep them as lease holders.

Any info would be appreciated! Thanks...

Lone Wolf
04-27-2003, 20:28
They live in Blairsville, Ga. and I hear Dorothy opened up a book store.

Red Hat
03-30-2004, 11:29
I stayed at the hostel here along with 8 others on Tuesday March 16th. Most of the people I had been hiking with either stayed here or hiked another mile or so to camp (if money was an issue). For me the bunk was worth the $15. I showered, microwaved dinner, and enjoyed the fellowship of my hiking friends. Several others washed clothes. This is not a Blueberry Patch, so if you only have cash for one bed a week, wait. But if you have the money, it's a great place to rest. I found it was a good place to get to know the folks I had been hiking with on and off for the past few days.

firefly
03-30-2004, 12:24
I am glad to see some good reviews of Winton's place. I live in Atlanta. I buy all my specialty gear at Neels Gap. Winton's selection is great..his prices are right AND his advice about gear is excellent. Because so many hikers pass thru his shop Winton knows when a new peice of gear has performance issues and he will advise you of this before you spend your money. A good example of this the new MSR Missing Link Tent. It is a very spacious..lightweight tent. It sets up with treking poles BUT you have to have the taller poles to make the tent pitch tightly. Most people own the shorter poles. The taller poles cost apprx $100 and they are heavier. This makes the tent too expensive and/or too heavy for some people. Being told this info up front allows you to make the best gear choice for you. This type of customer service really makes a difference if you are on a long hike.

Crash! Bang!
09-06-2005, 23:54
excellent outfitter. so-so hostel. when youve been out in the cold for 3 or 4 days, its paradise.

Walessp
01-19-2006, 14:36
Can you "slack pack" into Walesi-Yi? That is, are there beds with mattresses and sheets (or should I bring my sleeping bag and thermarest?)

Sky Rider

(walessp)

Footslogger
01-19-2006, 14:41
[quote=Walessp]Can you "slack pack" into Walesi-Yi? That is, are there beds with mattresses and sheets (or should I bring my sleeping bag and thermarest?)
=====================================
No sheets ...just bunks with matresses and a place to shower. Better bring your sleeping bag (and a pack towel if you want to clean up). Simple accomodations but like was said in an earlier post ...it's paradise after a few days in in the cold/wet weather.

Tell Winton 'Slogger said HEY !!

general
01-19-2006, 14:44
Can you "slack pack" into Walesi-Yi? That is, are there beds with mattresses and sheets (or should I bring my sleeping bag and thermarest?)

Sky Rider

(walessp)

there are mattress on the bunks, not sure about sheets and such, i know you get a towel when you check in.

give em a call (706) 745-6095

Nightwalker
01-19-2006, 15:15
I was up there today. The hostel is open.
The hostel is always open. Five bucks off if you don't use heat. ATC membership gets a 10%cash/7%plastic discount in the outfitter.

Winton and Cornbread are seriously great folks to deal with up there.

Nightwalker
01-19-2006, 15:18
(and a pack towel if you want to clean up).
They provide towels.

mweinstone
01-19-2006, 18:44
who knows wayne? he ran the store for dorathy and jeff.he walked barefoot allways.does any one remember?

The Solemates
01-19-2006, 19:10
was there last weekend before the ruck. road up with chief to pick up stumpknocker. winton is an awesome guy doing a great job.

River Runner
04-27-2006, 00:33
Cool outfitter with a lot of variety in gear, but I was disappointed in the cabin we stayed in. The bunks had very low head room and the kitchen was not well supplied for cooking or dishwashing (no dishwashing liquid). A kind hiker coordinated a domino's pizza order. Otherwise food choices for dinner are pretty limited (some frozen items such as pot pies, some staple items, fruit, hot dogs, and typical backpacking food), and there are no nearby restaurants. I'd call it a great place to shop and gear up, but so-so to stay overnight.

vaporjourney
03-12-2007, 10:05
Is this a fun area to spend the night? Space for people to congregate out of the bad weather and exchange stories/histories? Good people around I assume? Trying to decide if I want to stay here overnight. I guess this will probably depend on the weather and/or my health. If it's a beautiful day, I may just resupply, shower, and keep on hiking.

galaleemc
03-12-2007, 12:40
Yes! Beautiful place and area

Frosty
03-12-2007, 14:03
I was disappointed in the cabin we stayed in. The bunks had very low head room and ....

... food choices for dinner are pretty limited (some frozen items such as pot pies, some staple items, fruit, hot dogs, and typical backpacking food), and there are no nearby restaurants.I think the Sheraton is going to put in a hotel/restaurant complex next year in Addis Gap.

floyd242
03-12-2007, 15:05
It's nice, but I would save an overnight for Cloud9.

vaporjourney
03-12-2007, 15:39
It's nice, but I would save an overnight for Cloud9.

why not do both?

max patch
03-12-2007, 15:51
I think the Sheraton is going to put in a hotel/restaurant complex next year in Addis Gap.

Day hiking out of Addis hasn't been the same since LaPradds closed.

max patch
03-12-2007, 15:53
why not do both?

Why stay at Walasi-Yi when you can stay on top of Blood and see arguably the best sunset/sunrise on the trail in GA?

Jack Tarlin
03-12-2007, 17:42
Good post, Frosty!

I can't believe some people are complaining about the level of accomodations at Neel's Gap.

Um, news to some folks......Neel's Gap is in the middle of nowhere. If you want a real motel, full cable, a choice of restaurants, and a mint on your pillow before someone tucks you in, you can always pay for a shuttle to a real town.

And then you can go home.

And good riddance. I personally am GLAD some of the acomodations on the Trail are still pretty spartan.

It helps encourage the whiners and higher maintenance folks to quit, which all in all, is not a bad thing at all.

Tha Wookie
03-12-2007, 18:14
Why stay at Walasi-Yi when you can stay on top of Blood and see arguably the best sunset/sunrise on the trail in GA?

great point!

Love those guys though.... an AT institution! We should help support it enough to stay that way. I go out of my way when in the neighborhood to see old Winton and drop a couple bones on a book, shirt, or mmmm.... ice cream!

Jack Tarlin
03-12-2007, 18:17
Where the hell you been, Wook?

Welcome back and have a great Spring!!

See you in Georgia in 2 weeks maybe.

Dances with Mice
03-12-2007, 19:06
It's not like you're forced to stay at Walasi-Yi. There are other options available. Skunk Mountain, oops I meant Blood Mountain, shelter is on the way and there's a nice camping spot with water just a half mile or so north of Neels Gap.

Blood Mtn Cabins (http://www.bloodmountain.com/)are just up the hill a bit. They're more comfortable and if you can convince three other hikers to split a cabin then the price is about the same.

Or have the Walasi staff call Keith Bailey (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=7033&catid=searchresults&searchid=7066) at Goose Creek Cabins (http://www.goosecreekcabins.com/hikers.htm). They won't mind, he's on their speed dial. If you get the answering machine you might as well have a seat because Keith speaks reeealllll slllllowww.... He'll drive up and pick you up and return you to Neels the next day. For extra small fees GCC will also do your laundry and shuttle you into Blairsville ("Buh-LAY-yers-VEE-yill") to shop and eat at the AYCE Cookie Jar (http://blairsville.com/food/viewdetails.asp?f=&restaurant=The+Cookie+Jar) restaurant.

Ronin
03-12-2007, 20:45
And good riddance. I personally am GLAD some of the acomodations on the Trail are still pretty spartan.

It helps encourage the whiners and higher maintenance folks to quit, which all in all, is not a bad thing at all.

Right on Jack!

Bilko
03-12-2007, 21:25
Winton, put on a demonstration/presentation at Amicalola S.P. last weekend. You can tell that he has a passion for what he does. You can tell that he does what he does because he loves doint it. His presentation was on shoes, boots and socks. He told the story about the first year that those ugly plastic shoes hit the trail. He saw the trend and ordered as many as he could get his hands on. He sold them all. You can blame Winton for all those Crocs on the market.

SunnyWalker
07-24-2007, 00:45
I stayed at Walasi-yi ctr two different nights this last week on the AT. One, when I came to Neels Gap at the end of a day. And then at weeks end when I had reached Unicore and hitched back there as it was a good place to hole up and wait for my ride. Winton and all let me hang around and they were real nice. They helped my find a good pair of boots while I was there early. The hostel includes: bunks with mattress, towel, shower (bring your own soap). You may pay extra to wash laundry in a typical washer and dryer. It is a pittance-as to what they charge for laundry. There is a "kitchen" with sink, running water, microwave and telephone. There is a common area and campng spots nearby. I appreciated their hospitality and did some chores while I waited to express my thanks. It is $15.00 or thereabouts. -SunnyWalker

SunnyWalker
07-24-2007, 00:48
Oh, forgot one thing-I don't see how one could re-supply at Walasi-yi. The food IS there for it-Freeze dried Mtn Hse., candy and energy bars and an assortment of chewy things. The freezer contains frozen items to cook in the microwave. So I don't think this would work as I did not see any cheese and mack. -SunnyWalker

buckowens
07-24-2007, 09:19
When we were there in June they had a pretty good selection of Ramen, Mac and Cheese and a few other noodle dishes. It is to the left as soon as you go through the door in a small alcove with the energy bars. I did a 4 day re-supply there with no problem. The food was expensive, but I expected that.

SawnieRobertson
07-24-2007, 20:25
Keeping on hiking if the weather is favorable is rewarding. There are some terrific sites to wake up at once you get through with the switchbacks. There is even water.--Kinnickinic

SunnyWalker
07-25-2007, 16:49
Ooooops! Sorry Buckowens, I did look good enough I guess. Also, I said "mack and cheese" as a joke. But I guess you got my drift. Again, I really appreciated Walasi-yi and their hospitality. They were great. I hope everyone stops there. -SunnyWalker

buckowens
07-25-2007, 17:08
Ooooops! Sorry Buckowens, I did look good enough I guess. Also, I said "mack and cheese" as a joke. But I guess you got my drift. Again, I really appreciated Walasi-yi and their hospitality. They were great. I hope everyone stops there. -SunnyWalker

Hi SunnyWalker,

Don't feel bad for missing it, it is in a little alcove that could easily be missed. Roo and I hung out there for quite a few hours... We were so starved for food and normal stuff that we covered every inch of the store :D .

I agree that the staff there is very friendly and accommodating!

Tha Wookie
07-25-2007, 20:03
Hey all,

In case you are wondering, the place is still going strong and might be better than ever. Winton did have some big shoes to fill, and he's doing a WONDERFUL job! Not to mention, he's getting a lot more shoes, too! Today when I stopped in I added a pair of my tattered Montrails to his 2000 miler museum collection. What a great idea.

There is something about the feel of the place that is even more homey and comfortable than I ever remembered. He and Cola are kicking butt up there. I wish I could stop in every day and shoot the breeze. He showed me some new gadgets today, like some new stove styles and a solar-powered LED that he just got in from an inventor. They have so much stuff you would NEVER find at REI-type place.

And guess what..... I don't know if I'm supposed to let the cat out of the bag, but I bet he won't mind the free advertising:

They soon will have an ON-LINE store so we can get these rare finds, and support one of the FEW mom-and-pop style backpacker stores left in the country. AND, at the same time, we can support a business that preserves this historic building on the AT as a hiking store, and not some gas station or private house. So keep you eyes peeled. I got a behind-the-scenes peek today. I'll post a new thread about it when it's up.

Sorry, Winton, if you didn't want me to tell yet. I have poor self control. Ans thanks for all the hospitality.

Skidsteer
07-25-2007, 20:16
They kinda, sorta had an on-line store (http://www.mountaincrossings.com/home.html)in the works.

I'm happy to see they are expanding on it.

Footslogger
07-25-2007, 20:42
Aside from from what Winton has done to the place I am sort of partial to Walasi-Yi at Mountain Crossings because he has an 8 x 10 of my summit picture from 2003 on the wall near check out counter up in the front of the store.

Thanks Winton ...

'Slogger

Tha Wookie
07-25-2007, 21:05
They kinda, sorta had an on-line store (http://www.mountaincrossings.com/home.html)in the works.

I'm happy to see they are expanding on it.

No, it's like really really in the works.

seen it with my own two eyes. Can't wait. Just in time for christmas.

SunnyWalker
08-05-2007, 21:19
An on-line store would be real neat. I would love to see their book collection they have for sale on-line. I tried to write down as many titles as I could while I was there. My favorite thing was to buy a good drink and either sit to in front and watch all the motocycles drive up (HOGS Oh YEAH!!!), or sit over at the overlook at the picnic tables. Walysiyi Ctr. is real neat. -SunnyWalker

SunnyWalker
07-19-2008, 22:54
I did not mention this but when i went through Walysi yi last summer I bought a pair of boots there. the fellows talked to me, counseled and looked at my needs and everything. The result was a pair of boots that I have liked better than any others. To call them boots is a misnomer actually because they do not come up over the ankle. I like them better than my Salomon boots and I never thought I would find something better than Salomon. The brand name is: "Keen". If I ever need boots again i will try to return.

Grayhair
01-19-2012, 17:44
I am not trying to be the dookie in the punch bowlhere. This is a historic institution which has provided a vital service to thru-hikers for numerous years. But I have issues with the staff at the Walasi-YiCenter. In particular; the aggressive salestactics and backpack critique when one enters the premises. Just because I drop my pack on the floor doesnot give license to disemboweling my equipment and offering up unsolicitedadvice about what I need and don’t need. Maybe the management at Walasi-Yi should tone down their approach and letthe hiker make the first move. Just athought and a kindly suggestion.

Slo-go'en
01-19-2012, 17:50
But I have issues with the staff at the Walasi-YiCenter. In particular; the aggressive salestactics and backpack critique when one enters the premises. Just because I drop my pack on the floor doesnot give license to disemboweling my equipment and offering up unsolicitedadvice about what I need and don’t need

Humm, I've been there several times now and never found the staff to be overly aggerssive. Of course, I never brought my pack into the store and dumped it on thier overly crowded and limited floor space. Also, the times I have been there the staff had been busy enough giving advice to people who had asked for it. Maybe you showed up on a slow day?

Don H
01-19-2012, 21:45
I enjoyed my visit at Mt. Crossing. Bought some candy bars and had a free hamburger outside courtesy of the local church. They did ask if I would like to go over my gear with someone but I just said no thanks and that was the end of it.

Heald
01-19-2012, 23:00
[QUOTE=Chaplain;668595]I did not mention this but when i went through Walysi yi last summer

Good grief it's the winter of 2012 now.

stumpknocker
01-20-2012, 06:30
Good grief it's the winter of 2012 now.

Dang Heald....you are still alive! :)

ezdoesit
01-20-2012, 21:54
stumpknocker, Tha Wookie, Footslogger
Hello you old hoots haven't posted in along time and glad to see some old timers-:)

Heald
01-20-2012, 23:36
Dang Heald....you are still alive! :)

I thought I was dead, then I just realized I was in DC.

Hoofit
01-21-2012, 08:20
Stayed there during heavy snow in the spring of 2010 - being more of a camper than a hiker, I came through with a ton of cotton gear -well, 'Miss Janet' sure straightened me out and I left twenty pounds lighter and smarter.
Great place, home of the 'shakedown'.

WILLIAM HAYES
01-22-2012, 16:20
winton is a good guy and so are the staff the hostel is open

Lone Wolf
10-29-2013, 06:46
i heard yesterday that mtn. Xings has new owners

Seatbelt
10-29-2013, 08:07

Where did Pirate go? I'll miss him when go thru there next spring. Is Lumpy still there?

Lone Wolf
10-29-2013, 08:55
Where did Pirate go? I'll miss him when go thru there next spring. Is Lumpy still there?

pirate lives just down the mtn. and lumpy is on the road

Train Wreck
10-29-2013, 09:05

Do you have any details?

Lone Wolf
10-29-2013, 20:53
Do you have any details?

yeah........

hikerboy57
10-29-2013, 20:55
yeah........
good .

Rasty
10-29-2013, 21:12
Do you have any details?

yeah........

good .

Asked and Answered

Last Call
10-29-2013, 21:16
Duly noted.

Train Wreck
10-29-2013, 22:07
Originally Posted by Train Wreck http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/images/Eloquent/buttonsgreen/viewpost-right.png (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=1811479#post1811479)
Do you have any details?

yeah........

Care to elaborate?? :rolleyes:

atmilkman
10-29-2013, 22:12
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-EuCn5nA0UgY/USVIJFSGHeI/AAAAAAAABsw/uBCp9gJOH9w/s640/AK263880E7_411F_43C9_82FC_6853E77D6BEA.jpg (http://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&docid=AizNXot6eIg9gM&tbnid=Wz-y0v0-m6COcM:&ved=0CAUQjRw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fmelancholyrivers.blogspot.com%2F2 013%2F02%2Fblood-out-of-stone.html&ei=72pwUoGoPJK4kQfvtYCoCA&bvm=bv.55617003,d.cWc&psig=AFQjCNHebdcLkftEt2b0GKojNryRFBHg4A&ust=1383185504196615)

aficion
10-29-2013, 22:46
Duly noted.

Its just balkin'.

Train Wreck
10-29-2013, 23:08

..................:rolleyes:

Lone Wolf
10-30-2013, 07:33
i shuttled some section hikers the other day who were from no. georgia. they told me they'd been to neel gap recently and winton had sold the business to some folks. no secret, no mystery, no big deal

HikerMom58
10-30-2013, 07:38

..................:rolleyes:

I'm betting in more ways than just one.... :rolleyes:

I wish you could meet Gypsy, TW. Now, that girl is some kind of wonderful! :>) Trail Days 2014... ;)

Lone Wolf
10-30-2013, 07:43
drama queen

Rasty
10-30-2013, 08:10
drama queen

Don't call yourself that

HikerMom58
10-30-2013, 08:53
Don't call yourself that

It seems he calls himself something much worse.. looking him up in the dictionary. :p

SawnieRobertson
10-30-2013, 12:28
Has anyone asked Winton about this?

RockDoc
10-30-2013, 13:13
Well you had a better time there than I did. The first thing I discovered was that the local longhairs who run the place had cleaned out the hiker box, and took everything for themselves. It was empty (first week of April)!
The Lodge was full so I enquired about the Blood Mtn cabins. Winston told me that it was a horrible place to stay "don't stay there!" and he scrambled up a room in a cabin a few miles down the hill to the west. We stayed there, but had some trouble with the funky shuttle folks, in their rickety truck. Later I met lots of people who said the Blood Mtn cabins were a delightful place to stay, so I felt betrayed by Winston.

Sorry, but I do not have a good impression of this place. My impression was: Low life meets greedy, IMO. Yuck.

it's a terrific one.

ChinMusic
10-30-2013, 13:34
Jack has gotten more wordy over the 10 years........

HikerMom58
10-30-2013, 13:37
Here's the Facebook page...

https://www.facebook.com/MountainCrossings

Who is Lumpy?

Lone Wolf
10-30-2013, 13:57
Who is Lumpy?
a guy i know

Teacher & Snacktime
10-30-2013, 14:09
Seriously disappointed....I wanted to meet Winton Porter and get my copy of his book signed when we did the Springer stretch....now there's no need to go buy a copy. :(

daddytwosticks
10-30-2013, 15:47
Here's the Facebook page...

https://www.facebook.com/MountainCrossings

Who is Lumpy? Wally Cleaver's friend. :)

Chris10
10-30-2013, 17:12
While I don't doubt everyone's experience is different, my son and I stayed at MC this past June, and things went well. Is the place the Hilton, no, but after hiking from Springer, we were thankful for the bunk and shower, and had one of the best frozen hamburgers ever, not to mention Pirate's sloppy joes that night. My teenage son was fascinated by Pirate, especially after he read Winton's book. And Lumpy, he shuttled us over to the next gap so that we could hike back to MC. A great ride with lots of great stories/information provided. I hope they are able to stay on.

googlywoogly
10-30-2013, 17:41
I asked if it was under new ownership on their Facebook page and my question was unceremoniously deleted.

aficion
10-30-2013, 17:58
Wally Cleaver's friend. :)

Lumpy,....a smidgen more likeable than Eddie Haskell. Wallie had some bogus friends. The Beave too.

Last Call
10-30-2013, 19:37
Why would the local long-hairs clean out the hiker box? After all, they have access to a whole store full of gear at employee prices???

Teacher & Snacktime
10-30-2013, 19:40
Why would the local long-hairs clean out the hiker box? After all, they have access to a whole store full of gear at employee prices???

I think that's the point.

SipseyFreak
10-30-2013, 20:36
Stayed in the hostel in June ... it was a bit scruffy after all of the NoBos had been through, but as has been said, a seriously good respite from the trail. Pirate cooked pancakes for breakfast. Winton and his folks cleaned, painted, and sanded floors this summer and the place looks really good. I was up there in September just to chat with him. Winton is a seriously good fellow who knows his stuff and will help hikers and tourist with whatever they need. Winton's memoir, Just Passing Through, is worth the read and is as entertaining as Bryson's book. If you want to get a sense of the AT culture, read the book. Buy his book at Mountain Crossings and get him to autograph it for you (I paid full price for my book and I'm not kin to Winton--my comments are unsolicited). There is a lot of history in Walasi-Yi and Winton and his people are carrying on the tradition.

Lone Wolf
10-30-2013, 20:39
nobody will compare to Jeff and Dorothy

SipseyFreak
10-30-2013, 20:39
mountaincrossings posted a picture of Lumpy on their Instagram account today (10/30) ... good to see him again

Train Wreck
10-30-2013, 23:29
nobody will compare to Jeff and Dorothy

If they were the hosts during the 1992 season, I'm not that crazy about Dorothy. When we hiked the Springer to Unicoi Gap section back in 1992, I had a small argument with the woman taking care of the store when we got to Walasi-Yi. For some reason, she didn't want to let me & the hubby take showers there - even though we were willing to pay for them. Something about water problems and the showers being "for thru-hikers only" (I had mentioned that we were section hikers earlier).
It made no sense to me at all, seeing that we had hiked exactly the same amount of miles up to that point as any NOBO thru-hiker :confused: AND there were thru-hikers happily availing themselves of the facilities at the same time.

She finally did let us have the showers. They were great!!! Then, all nice and dry and clean, we started hiking again. Five minutes later, the skies opened up and we walked in a downpour the rest of the day until we got to Low Gap shelter. More chilly, wet, and miserable than ever!

The AT is no respecter of persons ;)

Seatbelt
10-31-2013, 08:18
Stayed in the hostel in June ... it was a bit scruffy after all of the NoBos had been through, but as has been said, a seriously good respite from the trail. Pirate cooked pancakes for breakfast. Winton and his folks cleaned, painted, and sanded floors this summer and the place looks really good. I was up there in September just to chat with him. Winton is a seriously good fellow who knows his stuff and will help hikers and tourist with whatever they need. Winton's memoir, Just Passing Through, is worth the read and is as entertaining as Bryson's book. If you want to get a sense of the AT culture, read the book. Buy his book at Mountain Crossings and get him to autograph it for you (I paid full price for my book and I'm not kin to Winton--my comments are unsolicited). There is a lot of history in Walasi-Yi and Winton and his people are carrying on the tradition.

This reflects my experiences there as well. All good--Pirate, Lumpy, Cool Breeze, Winton (and others) were all very helpful and accommodating. And the book is a good read as well. Better than Brysons in my opinion.

Old Hiker
10-31-2013, 08:28
Haven't read the book. Need to, I guess.

My experiences with Winton:

1. My Scout Troop came in from a Springer section hike a few years back. Our cars were up the road at the State park. We were telling the kids and other adults to stay put, we'd hike up and be back shortly. Winton (didn't know who he was at the time) asked what was going on. We told him and he reached into his pocket, pulled his car keys out and tossed them to us. Beauty. No questions, discussion or whatever.

2. My Thru attempt: came into the store and was looking at gloves. Got some great advice on what to get, what to use, etc. No pushing towards anything, just the staff and Winton's honest attempt to help.

hikingshoes
10-31-2013, 09:52
excellent outfitter. so-so hostel. when youve been out in the cold for 3 or 4 days, its paradise.
Boy do I agree with this:)

mfleming
10-31-2013, 15:38
i shuttled some section hikers the other day who were from no. georgia. they told me they'd been to neel gap recently and winton had sold the business to some folks. no secret, no mystery, no big deal

Wolf's just trolling y'all

Lone Wolf
10-31-2013, 15:42
Wolf's just trolling y'all

no he's not

mfleming
10-31-2013, 15:47
no he's not

:) :) :) :) :)

Praha4
10-31-2013, 17:32
I've always loved the place and people who work there always very nice to deal with. Have used them for shuttle rides in the past, and stayed at the hostel in spring 2010. No complaints at all. But after reading "Just Passin' Thru", I was curious if any hard feelings came about from some of the people mentioned in the book, just based on some of the personal details discussed in the book.... and after the book came out, one person in particular mentioned in that book... who used to work there... seemed to depart

Last Call
10-31-2013, 17:42
Walasi-Yi is one of only 2 places on the Trail where the Trail passes thru a building, the other is some zoo up North, Pennsylvania I think....

Teacher & Snacktime
10-31-2013, 19:03
Walasi-Yi is one of only 2 places on the Trail where the Trail passes thru a building, the other is some zoo up North, Pennsylvania I think....

Bear Mountain Zoo, New York

The Ace
11-03-2013, 00:22
I stopped by Mountain Crossings today after Friday’s bad weather aborted my hike down from Dick’s Creek Gap and asked the person behind the counter if Winton had sold the place. With pleading eyes he looked over at a female employee and she said, “It’s okay, you can tell.” He pointed behind him toward the living quarters and said that George and Logan, the couple that had been managing the store, had bought it two weeks ago and taken over the lease of the building from Winton. He said that Winton has visions of a sailboat in his future. He plans to make some sort of good-bye announcement in a week or so.

The owners’ plans are to continue the business as is. No word on who will do the shakedowns, though. Everything looked normal, and store traffic was heavy as usual for this time of year. Outside, the same old psychotic cat walked along the stonewall alternately greeting some visitors’ outstretched hands with a rub, and others with a bite, whatever struck its warped fancy. About sixty feet up in one of the trees that grow in the ravine south of the outside patio sat a black bear, oblivious or uncaring to the camera carrying gawkers and waiting patiently for darkness to fall in order to begin his nightly scavenger hunt for the carelessly tossed candy wrapper, or sticky-lined Styrofoam cup. The sun broke though the gray clouds and set the entire mountainside ablaze with the seasonally late arriving reds, oranges, yellows, purples, and golds. For a moment Yonah peeked out above the ridgeline to the South, its toothy grin once again greeting the hikers climbing out of Neel’s Gap and laughing at them all the way to Unicoi.

Suddenly my mind was flooded with the memory of sitting here on the patio more than a quarter a century ago with my seven-old daughter, proud of the little trooper for making her first trek up Blood Mountain. I wondered if her own now seven year-old child would also stand here a half a century from now and remember generations gone and then ponder if her own grandchildren will one-day stand here also. A tug on my arm brings me back to reality. I look down into the face of my wife, still as fresh as the spring day that I married her forty years ago, and into her eyes, bluer than any sea that the restless Winton will ever sail. And, she gently says, “There is hot coffee waiting for us on the square in Dahlonega.” We turn to walk across the smoothly worn stone and down the ancient steps, the disappointment of the aborted hike replaced with the joy of generations gone and to come.

The days are growing shorter. Before long the mountains will be filled with the sound of the bare, ice-covered limbs rattling against each other like dry dead bones. But, for now it’s Autumn, the world is ablaze in color, and life is really, really good.

aficion
11-03-2013, 00:39
So it is. Thanks Ace for sharing the good stuff.

Train Wreck
11-03-2013, 01:05
I heard from a very unreliable source that they are going to put in a Starbucks and fill their sales floor with North Face clothing.

aficion
11-03-2013, 01:16
I heard from a very unreliable source that they are going to put in a Starbucks and fill their sales floor with North Face clothing.

I'll have what she's having.

Train Wreck
11-03-2013, 01:27

I'm not good at sharing. It said so on my kindergarden report card.

Teacher & Snacktime
11-03-2013, 01:30

If it's a mocha latte, me too! Can you imagine how wonderful that would be after 4 days from Springer to MC? Especially for the earlybirds?

Lone Wolf
11-03-2013, 06:49
The owners’ plans are to continue the business as is. No word on who will do the shakedowns, though.
that place makes a ton of cash off them so-called "shakedowns"

Rasty
11-03-2013, 08:01

Eddie Bauer franchise

HikerMom58
11-03-2013, 08:42
I stopped by Mountain Crossings today after Friday’s bad weather aborted my hike down from Dick’s Creek Gap and asked the person behind the counter if Winton had sold the place. With pleading eyes he looked over at a female employee and she said, “It’s okay, you can tell.” He pointed behind him toward the living quarters and said that George and Logan, the couple that had been managing the store, had bought it two weeks ago and taken over the lease of the building from Winton. He said that Winton has visions of a sailboat in his future. He plans to make some sort of good-bye announcement in a week or so.

The owners’ plans are to continue the business as is. No word on who will do the shakedowns, though. Everything looked normal, and store traffic was heavy as usual for this time of year. Outside, the same old psychotic cat walked along the stonewall alternately greeting some visitors’ outstretched hands with a rub, and others with a bite, whatever struck its warped fancy. About sixty feet up in one of the trees that grow in the ravine south of the outside patio sat a black bear, oblivious or uncaring to the camera carrying gawkers and waiting patiently for darkness to fall in order to begin his nightly scavenger hunt for the carelessly tossed candy wrapper, or sticky-lined Styrofoam cup. The sun broke though the gray clouds and set the entire mountainside ablaze with the seasonally late arriving reds, oranges, yellows, purples, and golds. For a moment Yonah peeked out above the ridgeline to the South, its toothy grin once again greeting the hikers climbing out of Neel’s Gap and laughing at them all the way to Unicoi.

Suddenly my mind was flooded with the memory of sitting here on the patio more than a quarter a century ago with my seven-old daughter, proud of the little trooper for making her first trek up Blood Mountain. I wondered if her own now seven year-old child would also stand here a half a century from now and remember generations gone and then ponder if her own grandchildren will one-day stand here also. A tug on my arm brings me back to reality. I look down into the face of my wife, still as fresh as the spring day that I married her forty years ago, and into her eyes, bluer than any sea that the restless Winton will ever sail. And, she gently says, “There is hot coffee waiting for us on the square in Dahlonega.” We turn to walk across the smoothly worn stone and down the ancient steps, the disappointment of the aborted hike replaced with the joy of generations gone and to come.

The days are growing shorter. Before long the mountains will be filled with the sound of the bare, ice-covered limbs rattling against each other like dry dead bones. But, for now it’s Autumn, the world is ablaze in color, and life is really, really good.

That is beautiful! Thanks for sharing, The Ace. :>) Thanks for the reliable info too.

lush242000
11-03-2013, 10:08
It's a business. They need to pay the bills. I have always had good experiences when I passed through. Be it hiking or riding my motorcycle.

Sent from somewhere.

mfleming
11-03-2013, 10:49

Just say no

max patch
11-03-2013, 13:04
Anyone know when the "shakedowns" started. I thru'd back when Jeff and Dorothy ran the place and nobody offered me a shakedown. I was the only hiker in the store at the time so they certainly would have had the time.

Last Call
11-03-2013, 13:14
Glad to hear it's not changing....Thanks Ace for the nice report....

Chris10
11-03-2013, 13:35
When passing through in June, I asked them to take a look at our packs-zero pressure, great experience and advice!

Train Wreck
11-03-2013, 21:46
Eddie Bauer franchise

I heard they were going to install a ski lift to the top of Blood Mountain!

Rasty
11-03-2013, 21:49

Is that the only way you can get to the top? :rolleyes:

Train Wreck
11-03-2013, 22:00
Is that the only way you can get to the top? :rolleyes:

How else will you reach the kiddie rides and shooting galleries?

atmilkman
11-03-2013, 22:09

I think they should go with one of these. 2472224723

Train Wreck
11-03-2013, 22:26
I think they should go with one of these. 2472224723

I think they should skip the tram and just use the cannon to get people to the top. It's much faster!

Train Wreck
11-03-2013, 22:27
And I do believe that is an Eddie Bauer jacket.

atmilkman
11-03-2013, 22:30
And I do believe that is an Eddie Bauer jacket.

Eddie Bauer is a North Face wannabe.

Seatbelt
11-04-2013, 08:53
I stopped in here yesterday on my way home from son #2 wedding in Cumming. The place seems pretty mike like I remember it from Oct 2010. The hostel is different inside. Nate told me that Pirate stops in once in a while and that the official transfer of the business happened last Thursday. They intend to keep things like they were. Had beautiful weather!! The cat was pretty nice.:)

Trebor66
11-04-2013, 14:12
Why did Pirate leave? He was so well known there I don't think the new owners wouldn't want him there. What's he doing now?

bfayer
11-05-2013, 09:47
Eddie Bauer is a North Face wannabe.

Interesting observation considering EB invented the quilted down jacket decades before TNF started selling their wannabe clothes to yuppies in San Francisco. :)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

atmilkman
11-05-2013, 23:32
Interesting observation considering EB invented the quilted down jacket decades before TNF started selling their wannabe clothes to yuppies in San Francisco. :)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
TNF is an EB wannabe.

Gray Blazer
11-06-2013, 23:46

i thought that was the idea of a shakedown.

HikerMom58
11-10-2013, 23:00
Winton's farewell on Facebook... https://www.facebook.com/MountainCrossings