PDA

View Full Version : Theft of Re-supply

boarstone
06-18-2006, 17:20
Hi folks: It seems that we have theives up here on the "100 mile wilderness". A resupply I dropped for a large party consisting of 4 pails was philphered. You can't imagine the hardship and endangerment this has put on the hikers envolved! I am appalled! This is the first this has happened in years. This is making my job that much harder and I may have to stop this practice or change places of the drop. Advice/suggestions please.:mad:

Vi+
06-18-2006, 17:36
Boarstone,

I suppose the shock you feel is a reaction to the unexpected nature of thievery there.

I have seen caches hanging from trees and been amazed at the amount of trust involved.

I feel uncomfortable leaving a pair of dirty wet socks out to dry. They’re too important to risk losing.

I don’t know how you communicate where your clients can locate their cache. If I did this for a living, I think I’d find some bear and human proof construction, if such a thing is allowed within resupply range, and put a changeable combination lock on it.

Skidsteer
06-18-2006, 18:11
Some kind of steel cache box that you can cable around a tree with a heavy-duty lock. Then use Vi+'s idea about the changeable combo lock for the box lid. Master Lock model # 175 is a good one.

The combo is 4 digits long and easy to set.

hikerjohnd
06-18-2006, 19:23
Some kind of steel cache box that you can cable around a tree with a heavy-duty lock.

I like this idea - but wonder what the low impact folks would have to say. If you go the strongbox route, is it possible to partially bury or conceal the box?

Skidsteer
06-18-2006, 19:34
Originally Posted by Skidsteer
Some kind of steel cache box that you can cable around a tree with a heavy-duty lock

I like this idea - but wonder what the low impact folks would have to say.

No worries. We'll simply install 'rubber crutch tips' in each corner of the cache box. :D

Lone Wolf
06-18-2006, 20:07
Just stop the "practice". Food drops were never needed before, no reason to have them now. The "wilderness" ain't tough.

generoll
06-18-2006, 20:20
Listen to Skid.

max patch
06-18-2006, 20:26
No need to cache or resupply in the 100 mile wilderness.

Lone Wolf
06-18-2006, 20:28
Bolt cutters will take care of any locks. Re-supply in Monson and get on with.

boarstone
06-18-2006, 21:03
I like this idea - but wonder what the low impact folks would have to say. If you go the strongbox route, is it possible to partially bury or conceal the box?
I started this to continue with what had been done in the past. I just wanted to help those that wanted to do the "100 mile" and maybe could use a little help to do so. It seems to have been over this weekend. Who? Hiker/passerby/hooligans, who knows...between Thursday pm and Sat pm. I have left caches before this one with no problem, just days before. I will sleep on this and try to do the least impact to carry out the "help". I will finish out this season and revamp my thoughts on this before next season Have a few ideas of my own...Maine style..thanks guys. Heard from one of the affected persons significant other, seems they made it to their distination okay, much to my relief.

Skidsteer
06-18-2006, 21:06
Bolt cutters will take care of any locks.

The re-supply is in the middle of the 100 mile? I missed that part.

boarstone
06-18-2006, 21:16
The re-supply is in the middle of the 100 mile? I missed that part.
Yes it is....location, location, location....

neo
06-18-2006, 21:18
i hate thieves:cool: neo

Peaches
06-18-2006, 21:42
Locks keep honest folk out. We can't start treating the AT like everything else. It has a long history of trail kinsmenship and good tidings, believe in the "karma" of the trail. Thre will be justice.

boarstone
06-18-2006, 21:55
Locks keep honest folk out. We can't start treating the AT like everything else. It has a long history of trail kinsmenship and good tidings, believe in the "karma" of the trail. Thre will be justice.
Your are so right...I just hope this incident was because one or more thought it was easier to "take" than to "receive". I only hope it wasn't a hiker(s) related.... it was a lot of resupply...no "one" hiker could of carried it all...if it is of non-hiker origin then I know what I must do...

Rain Man
06-18-2006, 22:29
Are you sure it was pilfered? As in, might they have thought it was for any hikers? As I read hiking books, I've read of lots of hikers finding food at shelters and helping themselves to it. I assumed custom was, if it was left behind, abandoned, then it was for anyone who came along.

On the other hand, if it was properly labelled and dated, then that's another matter.

Rain:sunMan

TJ aka Teej
06-19-2006, 07:31
I may have to stop this practice or change places of the drop.

They must've been in plain sight? Hide 'em, and provide a simple treasure map (or directions) to your hikers. You could always re-use the same few hiding spots. Nobody's ever messed with one of my buckets, but then I'm the only one who knew where they were. Good luck, Boarstone!

TJ aka Teej
06-19-2006, 07:35
Food drops were never needed before, no reason to have them now.

Earl Shaffer and Myron Avery didn't need any. They just stopped at the Sporting Camps and ate sit-down dinners.

Lone Wolf
06-19-2006, 07:38
And every weekend during the hiking season now there seems to be a huge "hiker feed" somewhere. The AT is SOOO easy to hike these days.

TOW
06-19-2006, 08:33
Your are so right...I just hope this incident was because one or more thought it was easier to "take" than to "receive". I only hope it wasn't a hiker(s) related.... it was a lot of resupply...no "one" hiker could of carried it all...if it is of non-hiker origin then I know what I must do...i'm asking myself, did you leave notes or something of that nature in the shelters for the intended parties, or notes just stating the fact that it was there and waiting? if it's hikers, it maybe easy enough to find out who did it....

boarstone
06-19-2006, 09:39
They must've been in plain sight? Hide 'em, and provide a simple treasure map (or directions) to your hikers. You could always re-use the same few hiding spots. Nobody's ever messed with one of my buckets, but then I'm the only one who knew where they were. Good luck, Boarstone!
TJ: Oh yes! definately labeled! Had the hikers first names and last initial on the outside sealed in a lamenate label and notes on the inside. I think I will "hide" them as you suggest. In plain site under the bridge I guess is not so good, yet during the week drops I have no problem, just this drop over the weekend which makes me think someone (non-hiker) messed with the buckets not realizing the hardship it would put on the hikers expecting to recharge.

gr8fulyankee
06-19-2006, 09:58
TJ: Oh yes! definately labeled! Had the hikers first names and last initial on the outside sealed in a lamenate label and notes on the inside. I think I will "hide" them as you suggest. In plain site under the bridge I guess is not so good, yet during the week drops I have no problem, just this drop over the weekend which makes me think someone (non-hiker) messed with the buckets not realizing the hardship it would put on the hikers expecting to recharge.

Might I suggest leaving the buckets again in the same spot, but this time dose the food with a fair amount of ex-lax and inform the other parties involved to get their supplies from another hidden spot that you prearrange with them.

JoeHiker
06-19-2006, 18:27
Bolt cutters will take care of any locks. Re-supply in Monson and get on with.

A good U-shaped Bike lock or those very thick chain locks you can buy in bike shops will foil any bolt cutters that anybody is going to have in the 100 mile wilderness

boarstone
06-19-2006, 19:40
Nice ideas, but I think I'll just drop the re-supply closer to crossing day and WAIT. At least for now. I am in the process of finding a new spot nearby. Lord knows there is enough woods with a logging road running thru it...the bridge works great because animals( of the woods) can't access the buckets(just the visiting kind).

bfitz
06-19-2006, 20:21
And every weekend during the hiking season now there seems to be a huge "hiker feed" somewhere. The AT is SOOO easy to hike these days.
Is it supposed to be more difficult? If so....why even cut trail at all...?

Lone Wolf
06-19-2006, 22:12
Is it supposed to be more difficult? If so....why even cut trail at all...?
Hiking the AT these days is real easy.

bfitz
06-19-2006, 22:16
Lucky for me...:p

weary
06-19-2006, 23:30
I've left food caches in the 100 miles and elsewhere several times and never have had a problem. I always, however, stash my stuff out of sight behind a fallen log, big boulder, or spruce-fir thicket.

If stuff is left within sight of a logging road, any number of people who have nothing to do with hiking, may be the culprits. Much of the logging in Maine is done by "green card" loggers from Canada. Fishermen and tourists roam the roads at will.

I've never had a cache disturbed by animals. I use plastic buckets with covers taped with duct tape and the whole thing covered with a heavy garbage bag.

Most any solid lock would help if you stash away from the roads. I've never seen a hiker carrying bolt cutters.

Weary

QHShowoman
06-20-2006, 09:10
I think it sucks that someone messed with your well-meaning resupply, but I would really just rethink the necessity of the practice, if I were you.

First of all, the 100-mile wilderness is supposed to be one of the more challenging sections of the trail because you actually need to plan ahead and be more self-reliant than the other sections require. Isn't providing a re-supply kind of depriving the hikers of that experience? Secondly, can you imagine what the trail would look like if everyone left little white buckets -- or even worse, those disposable white styrofoam coolers -- everywhere in plain sight?

boarstone
06-20-2006, 18:44
It's not out of necessity, some folks just want to hike this section with an easy stride and head and not worry about having enough food to carry thru. That's what I offer. As far as "depriving hikers of it's experience", stop the stop off at White House Landing while your at it.... no more burgers, comfey beds and showers...same thing...they charge and heavily, are stationary and moody. I don't leave little white buckets all thru the woods. Hikers are encouraged to leave their trash in them as their supply is picked up, hence I pick up their trash and carry it out with the bucket(s) rather than have them dump it somewhere behind all those trees and stumps.

Lone Wolf
06-20-2006, 19:40
Still no services are needed in the so-called wilderness. It ain't tough. Carry your food.

MOWGLI
06-20-2006, 21:13

Lone Wolf obviously remembers the good old days when the trail was uphill - both ways. ;)

Frolicking Dinosaurs
06-20-2006, 21:26
Taking the drops away from the road will likely keep them safe.

Wolf and QHShowoman bring up some valid points - something is lost from the experience / challenge of the 100 mile woods if drops are used. But then again, HYOH - perhaps some don't care for this sort of challenge?

mweinstone
06-20-2006, 21:55
real men go to the store themselves.

DawnTreader
06-20-2006, 22:22
Jeez..
people want the service, obviously,
someone wants to provide the service
If you want a challange, resupply in monson
If you still want a challange, ressuply through this kind vendor in the 100 miles...whatever you f*c*in' want..
personally, I'll resupply in Monson

Kerosene
06-20-2006, 22:24
Just HYOH...

QHShowoman
06-21-2006, 11:29
Hikers are encouraged to leave their trash in them as their supply is picked up, hence I pick up their trash and carry it out with the bucket(s) rather than have them dump it somewhere behind all those trees and stumps.

That's just sad. I will never understand the type of folks who hike because they supposedly love the outdoors, yet think nothing of throwing their trash on the ground.