PDA

View Full Version : a tarp and a nest

gumball
06-18-2006, 17:26
I have a question--I recently purchased an 8' x 10' tarp and the go-lite lair 1nest, thinking that it would be a decent, lightweight alternative to hammocking (sometimes I am comfortable hammocking, sometimes not-so-much)...I just wanted an alternative.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone uses these two in combination and, if so, do you use another configuration besides an A-frame set up with the tarp? If so, what? Might it have been a better idea to get the go-lite lair tarp to go with this? I was thinking that the larger tarp would give me a few more options for just a few more oz., but now (hindsight is great) I am concerned about water flying into either end in an A-frame set-up.

I am new to tarps, so please excuse my ignorance. I've been reading as much as I can about them and have practiced setting it up on and off all weekend.

thanks. gum.

Skidsteer
06-18-2006, 18:19
How many tie-outs are on your tarp? The number and placement will sort of dictate how many configurations are available to you. Of course you can get around this somewhat by using tarp clamps and such.

Just Jeff
06-18-2006, 18:22
You can use the 8x10 with a hammock. Not sure how well a Lair would work on a hammock. That might be one reason to keep the tarp.

Google it - there are a few tarp pages with all kinds of congurations and instructions. I think Sgt Rock has several on his, IIRC.

Skidsteer
06-18-2006, 18:31
Here's a tarp link you might find useful:

http://www.equipped.com/tarp-shelters.pdfn

Frolicking Dinosaurs
06-18-2006, 18:43
The link Skids provided - http://www.equipped.com/tarp-shelters.pdf - is an excellent resource. Skids, I couldn't get your link to work, but I was familiar with the site?????

Footslogger
06-18-2006, 19:06
[quote=gumball]Anyway, I was wondering if anyone uses these two in combination
======================================
Well ...sort of.

I have a GoLite Cave I and an OR Bug Bivy. Reason I like that combination is that on a really clear night I can use the Bug Bivy all by itself and fall asleep under the stars.

'Slogger

Doctari
06-18-2006, 19:07
Yea, I couldn't get the link to work, went to http://www.equipped.com/ then looked for shelters. The link is right, just can't get to it except from the home page.
Good info on tarps. Thanks for the post.

Doctari.

Skidsteer
06-18-2006, 19:16
The link Skids provided - http://www.equipped.com/tarp-shelters.pdf - is an excellent resource. Skids, I couldn't get your link to work, but I was familiar with the site?????

Yeah, I should have emphasized that it is a PDF file and s-l-o-w to download even by high-speed standards. The times in the past I have downloaded this file it seemed like nothing was happening for like ten minutes and then Voila! There it was. I am on dial-up at the moment and unwilling to check it myself. :eek:

If one of you can find a clearer path to it, please feel free to do so and know that you have my thanks.

gumball
06-18-2006, 21:34
How many tie-outs are on your tarp? The number and placement will sort of dictate how many configurations are available to you. Of course you can get around this somewhat by using tarp clamps and such.

There are tie outs at each corner and three between each corner on the 10' side, for a total of 10--there are also three more...one each between the two corners on the 8' side, and then one right in the middle of the tarp.

general
06-19-2006, 18:47
i use an 8x10 with a nest2. i've never had a water problem setting it up in an A frame. then nest is a little lower in the back so pitch the tarp to match and drape your pack cover around the front hiking pole to block any misting rain.

gumball
06-19-2006, 21:13
i use an 8x10 with a nest2. i've never had a water problem setting it up in an A frame. then nest is a little lower in the back so pitch the tarp to match and drape your pack cover around the front hiking pole to block any misting rain.

That's good to hear, and a heat idea. I appreciate all the responses, thanks as always. Gum.

gumball
06-19-2006, 21:37
I guess I should contribute so I can edit my posts...that was supposed to say "neat", not "heat" idea....

:) Gum

MedicineMan
06-19-2006, 23:07
it was the 2 person model....its not a bad set up except the obvious (you're still on the ground)...i didnt like crawling into it, other than that it was OK...

vaporjourney
06-26-2006, 13:29
1: how do the Golite Lair/Cave series compare to normal tarps? It looks like there is only one way to pitch these tarps, but I could be looking at the pics wrong. I'm new to the idea of tarping.

2: how does a Golite Nest compare to a normal mosquito net? a mosquito net is a lot cheaper, and it just seems like you'd have to make it stay tucked under a ground sheet. There could be a lot more inconvience involved.

I still havent decided if I want to start using a Hammock or not, and probably wont decide between a normal tarp, or one of the Golite specialties, but these questions still remain. The main thing turning me off from tarps with sleeping bags is the buy annoyance factor. I know nets are the way around this and want to choose the right one.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
06-26-2006, 15:16
I'll leave the design questions to those who own the tarp / bug tents. The bug tent is made from no-u-see-um netting which has smaller holes than a standard mosquito netting. If you go this route, you want no-u-see-um netting.

general
06-26-2006, 17:42
1: how do the Golite Lair/Cave series compare to normal tarps? It looks like there is only one way to pitch these tarps, but I could be looking at the pics wrong. I'm new to the idea of tarping.

2: how does a Golite Nest compare to a normal mosquito net? a mosquito net is a lot cheaper, and it just seems like you'd have to make it stay tucked under a ground sheet. There could be a lot more inconvience involved.

I still havent decided if I want to start using a Hammock or not, and probably wont decide between a normal tarp, or one of the Golite specialties, but these questions still remain. The main thing turning me off from tarps with sleeping bags is the buy annoyance factor. I know nets are the way around this and want to choose the right one.

the lair is limited as far as pitch goes. a basic 8x10 opens up many more possibilities, espicially in site selection, and will save you some money. if you ever wanted to use a hammock, a 8x10 would serve you well for that as well. a sil/nylon tarp would save you some weight over the lair2 and the cave2. with the cave and lair the possibilities are in the tent. with a rectangle tarp the possibilities are in your brain.

general
06-26-2006, 17:45
2: how does a Golite Nest compare to a normal mosquito net? a mosquito net is a lot cheaper, and it just seems like you'd have to make it stay tucked under a ground sheet. There could be a lot more inconvience

the nest has a sil/nylon bathtub floor. most mosquito nets don't.

vaporjourney
07-30-2006, 01:33
another question: how does a tarp/nest combination compare to a tarptent in terms of condensation? The main drawback with tarptents seems to be that they can get way too hot in the summer, and that mainly, many people have condensation issues even with all vents open. Also...can you pitch a tarp so that not much wind gets thru in the winter to stay warm? With tarptents I worry that in the winter you'd like to eliminate nearly all venitlation, but have to leave vents open along the floor so that you don't collect condensation.

general
07-30-2006, 11:32
another question: how does a tarp/nest combination compare to a tarptent in terms of condensation? The main drawback with tarptents seems to be that they can get way too hot in the summer, and that mainly, many people have condensation issues even with all vents open. Also...can you pitch a tarp so that not much wind gets thru in the winter to stay warm? With tarptents I worry that in the winter you'd like to eliminate nearly all venitlation, but have to leave vents open along the floor so that you don't collect condensation.

the nest/tarp set up has no condensation. absolutely none. i've gotten damp camping in heavy clouds/fog. in the winter you can pitch your tarp in a cave like setup to block wind and use your other gear to block the entrance to the tarp, not using the nest. if it were going to be really cold, like 0-10 degrees, i'd want to be in that tarptent, but have spent many comfortable nights using a tarp at those temps as well.

Just Jeff
07-30-2006, 12:28
I've had heavy condensation under my tarp a few times, but not often. It's much better ventilated than a tent or tarptent, and even many ground tarp setups since it's so high off the ground.

The Nest is completely independent of the tarp for comparing condensation to a tarptent. I've had rolling fog make the outside damp but I don't think it got past the DWR.

In both of those cases, ventilation made very little difference for getting rid of the condensation b/c it was so humid, so I don't think that being in a tarp/nest or a tarptent would have made any difference.

Bottom line - it's hard to beat a tarp for ventilation/condensation. In the winter that might not be a positive thing, but setting up broadside to the wind, as close to the ground as possible, and behind a windbreak can help.

gumball
07-30-2006, 15:00
I tried out the nest/tarp on a recent trip and really enjoyed it--no condensation problem at all. The difference between it and a tarptent, I would guess (I don't own a tarptent) is the variety of ways I can fix the tarp--ie, if its going to be hot, I can lift the entire side of the tarp and be snug from bugs in my nest. Nice cool breeze, good ventilation. I was quite pleased.

vaporjourney
07-30-2006, 23:45
how much room do you have in the nest? are you really confined in there, with no room to sit up and read, change clothing, etc? i had come so close to ordering a Rainbow tarptent, but now I may like the flexibility that tarps can offer.

Also..are there any other bivy/nest alternatives out there? If the nest is small, I'd like a way to rig some no-see-um netting from the tarp and have lots of bug free space to utilize under a roomy 8 x 10 tarp.

Just Jeff
07-31-2006, 02:30
Doh!! I thought you were talking about a JRB Nest rather than the GoLite Nest...should have read from the original post to refresh my memory. Ignore my comment about condensation being completely independent - seems like the GoLite Nest would reduce ventilation somewhat, so it wouldn't definitely be connected. Never used the GoLite Nest so I couldn't say from experience.

gumball
07-31-2006, 04:55
The apex of the nest at the front's a little taller than that in the back. I can barely sit up and change clothes (I am a shorter woman)--but I don't feel cramped in there by any means. I have room to bring some of my things in and can put my pack at the foot end (although I generally keep it out under the tarp. I have the nest for one person, but my husband and I slept in it together to try it out and we were snug, but slept fine side-by-side.

This is an alternative sleeping arrangement to my hammock, so I definitely have more room in the nest and am a little more comfortable in it than in the hammock--however, the down side is having to find a spot on the ground without roots and rocks, which I never have to worry about with the hammock.

We'll see--I'm still experimenting. I haven't had the nest/tarp combo out in a rain storm yet. The next has a nice bathtub floor, but I am inexperienced with this type of set up, so my first rainstorm in it may be my last! :)