PDA

View Full Version : A question about a cat...

Kerby
06-18-2006, 22:38
I know several people have done a through hike with a dog, but what about a cat?

Has aney one eather completed a throuhike with a cat, or know of someone who has?

thanks

Ridge
06-18-2006, 22:55
Yes, I remember others talking about a guy who brought his cat. While hiking the cat would stay in the top of his pack sleeping. At night at the shelters the cat would stay up and take care of any mice roaming around. I don't know any more than this, like I said I may have found out about him during my thru hike, but really I could have heard it anytime.

hikerjohnd
06-18-2006, 23:00
Yes, I remember others talking about a guy who brought his cat. While hiking the cat would stay in the top of his pack sleeping. At night at the shelters the cat would stay up and take care of any mice roaming around. I don't know any more than this, like I said I may have found out about him during my thru hike, but really I could have heard it anytime.

I think I have heard of this guy too... And maybe there is a picture somewhere with the cat (a white cat if I remember correctly) perched atop the pack.

As to cats taking care of the mice - last year there was a cat living at a shelter just south of Damascus. It was pretty cool - friendly and all, but at about 2 AM (and then every hour or so after) it started chasing mice and generally made a huge racket in the shelter. The two of us in there thought maybe there was a bear attacking the first time the cat sprang into action!

Ridge
06-18-2006, 23:13
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=11541&original=1&c=

The "Geek" and his cat "Ziggy", here at WB. See picture above.

MedicineMan
06-19-2006, 01:48
that is a cool photo of the cat.

TJ aka Teej
06-19-2006, 07:15
Several years ago I shuttled 'Puffin' up to Baxter, and at the last minute she surprised me with the fact she was taking her two cats along. She let them off their leashes a few 100 yards into the 100 Mile and they both took off for parts unknown.

ANHINGA
06-19-2006, 09:16
I knew a guy whose cat rode comfortably in his car and went hiking with him, moving through the underbrush as he walked. He'd trained the cat from the time it was a kitten to come to the sound of his jingling car keys, so if it strayed too far out of sight, he jingle the keys and the cat would appear. He wasn't walking the whole trail though.
On the other hand, I used to live about three miles from the AT in NC and suspect that I lost one of my cats to a great horned owl. It might have been some other predator, but the owls had been active in the area the night he disappeared and they are surely capable.
Also, think how the cat claw versus lightweight nylon fabric interaction might affect tents, sleeping bags, rain gear, etc. Now imagine it isn't your gear but a fellow hikers....I'd leave the cat with friends if I were you.

Jack Tarlin
06-19-2006, 11:26
I have met two hikers that hiked large portions of the A.T. with a cat. In both cases, exceptional people as well as exceptional cats.

That being said, I'm one of the biggest cat-lovers in the world, but I personally think taking your cat on the Trail is recipe for disaster. The chances are excellent your pet will get lost, killed, or eaten.

Pets are best left at home. This absolutely applies to kitties, as well as to around 99% of dogs.

Doctari
06-19-2006, 11:43
I think it was 2003: Hot Dawg hiked with stubby cat. When I hiked with them, the plan was to get to Harpers ferry, then do some canoe camping for a month or so.

Stubby cat rode on Hot Dawg's pack, came when called, well, as often as a cat will and usually with the attitude of "yea, what do you want now? I was busy!" But, she did her best to take care of Hot Dawg. Stubby had to check you out BEFORE you could talk to Dawg.

Last saw them in Erwin @ Uncle Johnnies.

The previous trip, 01 I think, a hiker lost both of her cats before the smokies, I think only one was eventually found.

Note: Stubby was well trained, actually liked to go camping, was not a house cat per se. She was used to the woods, and loved the shelters. My cats would TOTALLY FREAK OUT if I took them hiking, even a day hike, near home.

Doctari.

peakbagger
06-19-2006, 12:12
I suspect that a Maine Coon Cat would do well on the trail as long as they werent confused with a Bob Cat. These cats are big and tend to act more like dogs than cats (they typically follow their owners around). They also tend to be very good at hunting.

Kerby
06-19-2006, 13:43
Thank you, you have all given me allot to think about.

Pennsylvania Rose
06-22-2006, 14:27
If I remember right - it's been 16 years - Geek's cat, Ziggy, was a barn kitten that adopted him while he was canoeing down the Mississippi. The next leg of Geek's journey was the AT, and he kept Ziggy with him.

Krewzer
06-22-2006, 21:37
If I remember right - it's been 16 years - Geek's cat, Ziggy, was a barn kitten that adopted him while he was canoeing down the Mississippi. The next leg of Geek's journey was the AT, and he kept Ziggy with him.

...Yea! I heard Model T tell the story of Geek and Ziggy at Trail Days this year. Claimed to be the first cat to hike the AT. I don't recall enough of the details to do it justice, but it's a great fun story if anyone can tell all of it.