PDA

View Full Version : Books on going south?

Frick Frack
06-19-2006, 10:09
Are there any useful books (planning, advice, memoirs, guides, etc.) specifically for hiking the AT north to south?

Barrel Roll
06-19-2006, 10:59
Are there any useful books (planning, advice, memoirs, guides, etc.) specifically for hiking the AT north to south?

Not that I know of - the AT Companion and Wingfoot are both designed to go NOBO, and if you use them you have to go backwards. At least Wingfoot has the mileage going both ways next to his entries which is nice.

I mostly found that reading the trailjournals of people who had hiked SOBO and reading threads on Whiteblaze about a SOBO hike the most helpful for my hike. There's a SOBO journals thread on here. I followed a couple people's 2004 SOBO hikes vicariously to see what they were going through, I don't remember which ones, but one of the good ones was Tinkerbell's:

http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=2322

And of course ask some q's here if you have 'em : ).

Frick Frack
06-19-2006, 17:57
Thanks Barrel Roll. I have read all books from A-Z on going north but was intrested in someones travels going south. I have the AT Companion and Wingfoot and use them for my section hikes (I have gone from Springer to Damascus so far) I just enjoy reading others travel experiences. I'll keep my eye on trailjournals/threads...thanks! Hummmm....note to self....write book on hiking home to the south!

Rain Man
06-19-2006, 18:14
Hiking the Appalachian Trail, Volumes One and Two both have some SOBO accounts. You can find these used books at alibris.com, I think it is.

This all points out that the ATC's insistence on publishing guides SOBO is doubly doubious, however.

Rain:sunMan