PDA

View Full Version : Campsites between Walnut Mountain Shelter and Deer Park Mountain Sh

Jebediah
06-19-2006, 16:12
This is a ten-mile stretch between mile 257 and 267 (from Springer). From the Companion and other sources, it looks barren of camping sites. I'll spare you all the details of my plan, but I really need to camp somewhere within this 10 mile stretch if possible. If you know of a good (or even fair) campsite in this stretch, please let me know.

SouthMark
06-19-2006, 17:16
There is a decent campsite on the north side of Bluf Mtn. just below (about .1 mile) the crest. There is a spring just down the trail about 50 yards. You will see the blue blazed trail to it on your left if you are headed north. Camped there three weeks ago.

Jebediah
06-20-2006, 11:14
Absolutely fantastic. JUST what I needed. Thanks!

joec
06-29-2006, 15:02
Also a great site at catpen gap. A Meadow with great view on the east side of trail. I was trying to make it there on my last hike and gave up at Walnut Mtn shelter. Saw it the next morning as we moved north.

Rain Man
06-29-2006, 20:18
The ATC topo map shows a tent camp icon at Garenflo Gap too, with Big Rock Spring (water) about half a mile before (NOBO). It looks like a stream that the AT crosses twice, in fact.

I agree that Catpen Gap has some great views, though not 360 degrees.

Kale Gap was a really nice lunch break spot for us. It'd also be a nice (but dry) campsite. Lots of pine needles. It's only about a mile north of Walnut Mtn Shelter, though.

If I'm recalling the right place, Little Bottom Branch Gap is another, I believe, but again, dry except for a stream down the east side of the mountain about a quarter mile.

My wife and I thought seriously about camping along the way last November, but finally made it after dark to Deer Park Mtn Shelter. But I remember eyeballing potential camp sites along the way and there were several.

Rain:sunMan

The Alethiometrists
07-07-2006, 14:04
Is the shelter at Walnut Mountain still standing? If so, it makes a nice half-way point between Max Patch and Deer Park Mtn. Walnut Mountain Shelter saved me from a tremendous thunderstorm back around 1990 - I'd hate to see it go.

SouthMark
07-07-2006, 14:32
It was still there the in May.