PDA

View Full Version : What's "hiker trash" mean and why is it positive?

1Pint
06-19-2006, 19:16
Please forgive my ignorance, but.... What does "hiker trash" mean? It sounds pejorative, yet I keep seeing people refer to themselves as hiker trash.

Blue Jay
06-19-2006, 19:26
Please forgive my ignorance, but.... What does "hiker trash" mean? It sounds pejorative, yet I keep seeing people refer to themselves as hiker trash.

You should not use words like "pejorative" if you want answers from us trash. We have to then go and find a dictionary. Even if we had a huge vocabulary prior to becoming trash, since we never use words that are not related to food, our speech becomes atrophied. We love being trash because we have the honor of not having jobs, we smell bad, are very hairy, and do EXACTLY what we want (as long as we hurt no one). In short we are the exact opposite of the slaves in the money world and thus trash. Not much use to Amerika.

1Pint
06-19-2006, 19:57
Awesome, so you're saying I can ditch the vocab lessons I'd been taking in prep for the trail? But what will I do with the money I'd set aside? And the extra time?

bfitz
06-19-2006, 20:08
A quote...

...Of the brave souls who were up there with me, none were bounding around the summit like they'd just had a nice stroll in the park. None, that is, except the three crusty hikers who showed up just after I took the pictures you see above. They were twenty-something, self-described "hiker trash" who'd been traversing the Pacific Crest Trail (a trail that runs continuously from Canada to Mexico) for several months, and were plenty acclimated to this kind of activity. They loudly debated whether or not they should cook something (they decided against it, figuring it would take hours for their water to boil). They were gregarious and rowdy and energetic, everything I wished I was but wasn't. I was jealous enough to share my sad state with them.

Read it here...
http://www.bryanbeller.com/literature/lifeofbryan/bryan43pt3.html

tiamalle
06-19-2006, 20:33
You should not use words like "pejorative" if you want answers from us trash. We have to then go and find a dictionary. Even if we had a huge vocabulary prior to becoming trash, since we never use words that are not related to food, our speech becomes atrophied. We love being trash because we have the honor of not having jobs, we smell bad, are very hairy, and do EXACTLY what we want (as long as we hurt no one). In short we are the exact opposite of the slaves in the money world and thus trash. Not much use to Amerika.Blue Jay I give you an A for
this good info you provided to this hiker friend.

DGrav
06-19-2006, 21:01
A quote...

Read it here...
http://www.bryanbeller.com/literature/lifeofbryan/bryan43pt3.html
A reference to Bryan Beller! I saw him with Z and Beer For Dolphins numerous times in Philly and <st1:city><st1 ="">:place>Asbury Park</st1>:place></st1:city>. The medley Z did at the Pone Stony is still the best live performance I have ever seen. Never would have expected him to be mentioned on here. But then again it is a small world.

greentick
06-19-2006, 21:22
You should not use words like "pejorative" if you want answers from us trash. We have to then go and find a dictionary. Even if we had a huge vocabulary prior to becoming trash, since we never use words that are not related to food, our speech becomes atrophied. We love being trash because we have the honor of not having jobs, we smell bad, are very hairy, and do EXACTLY what we want (as long as we hurt no one). In short we are the exact opposite of the slaves in the money world and thus trash. Not much use to Amerika.

BJ,

I mean no offense. But why would you say you are of no use? Everybody is useful for something. Only in AMERICA (I haven't referenced a dictionary but I am sure that's how it is spelled) can you not have a job, smell bad, be very hairy, do exactly what you want (without hurting anyone) and not be persecuted for your choices. This I believe. Hike on, trash and be proud.

Tha Wookie
06-19-2006, 21:32
BJ,

I mean no offense. But why would you say you are of no use? Everybody is useful for something. Only in AMERICA (I haven't referenced a dictionary but I am sure that's how it is spelled) can you not have a job, smell bad, be very hairy, do exactly what you want (without hurting anyone) and not be persecuted for your choices. This I believe. Hike on, trash and be proud.

Only in America? That's a joke.

Everytime get back from international travel I am reminded how UNfree our country is compared to the other countries I've visited. This is one uptight and judging place.

But dang it, we do have the best trail system in the world, and God bless those lonely fools who can't get enough of it.

There is hope!

hikerjohnd
06-19-2006, 21:38
You should not use words like "pejorative" if you want answers from us trash. We have to then go and find a dictionary. Even if we had a huge vocabulary prior to becoming trash, since we never use words that are not related to food, our speech becomes atrophied.

So "pejorative" is out but "atrophied" is ok? Any words found on the SAT are generally to be avoided, unless one is a gear head hiker trash.:D:D:D

ed bell
06-19-2006, 21:44
But dang it, we do have the best trail system in the world, and God bless those lonely fools who can't get enough of it. I've always believed that "hiker trash" applies to anyone who just can't get enough of backpacking in all it's smelly, backwards, misunderstood, livin' out of the mainstream glory. The "not having a job part" I don't have that down yet, and I doubt it will come to me anytime soon. My wife and I still desire to keep a permanent residence.:sun

Lone Wolf
06-19-2006, 22:25
It's a term of endearment. I coined it in the 80's. Something to be proud of. A lifestyle.

bfitz
06-19-2006, 22:26
America...land of the free, home of the brave, camping ground of hiker trash! Let freedom reign!!!

ed bell
06-19-2006, 22:32
It's a term of endearment. I coined it in the 80's. Something to be proud of. A lifestyle.Can't get a better answer than that: straight from the wolf's mouth.:cool:

greentick
06-19-2006, 23:07

Everytime get back from international travel I am reminded how UNfree our country is compared to the other countries I've visited. This is one uptight and judging place.

But dang it, we do have the best trail system in the world, and God bless those lonely fools who can't get enough of it.

There is hope!

Wookie, I think you and I have travelled in different circles, internationally speaking. I think the US, including all of its shortcomings, is pretty much the best place to live in the world. I don't base my opinion on anything but my experiences. I am sure your opinions are based on your experiences. I am sure there are many things we wholeheartedly agree on (the trail system thing) and probably more that we don't.

Ed, I am with you on the permanent rez thing. Still working on the alaskan log cabin thing, but chances are slim.

Regards to both of ya.

bfitz
06-19-2006, 23:24
Wookie likes it here, too, he's just a little uptight and judgemental...:rolleyes:

Wonder
06-19-2006, 23:50
It's a term of endearment. I coined it in the 80's. Something to be proud of. A lifestyle.

Awwwww..... and L.Wolf called me trash this year.......I AM special!
Love ya, man!!!!!!!

Nokia
06-20-2006, 01:02
I think putting a definition to hiker trash is like asking "Why do you hike the AT?" Neither can really be explained. Not all hiker trash thru-hike and not all thru-hikers are hiker trash. You know hiker trash when you see them. Same as you know why you hike. It can't be explained. It's a feeling, a state of being. Words could describe it, but you only know for certain if you feel it yourself.

Amigi'sLastStand
06-20-2006, 04:30
Hiker trash --

Do you bath weekly?

Do you admire indoor plumbing?

Can you set up a 5 min tent in three minutes in the rain without a flash light?

Do you get excited when you see fire?

Is shaving an option you havent thought of in awhile?

Do you think of body odor as your own personal cologne?

Do you prefer to sleep on the floor on a 3/4in pad instead of in a bed? Or...

Do you have a hammock hanging in your bedroom? (neo)

Can you fit your life in 5500 cu ins?

Is walking 5 miles a short distance to you?

Have you felt a presence in the woods you cant explain but know is there?

Are you immune to mosquitoe bites?

And on and on....

If you can answer most of these as YES then you are hiker trash.

And to the line about freedom in AMERICA....

I dont know what countries you've been too, I've been to 89 on six continents total now including every country in S. America, the middle east, and Europe, half of Africa, Australia and New Zealand, Japan, S Korea, Vietnam, Russia and most of the former USSR. I aint never, ever seen a country with more freedom than we have that includes Canada. If you like it so much somewhere else, get out. Johnny Depp will meet you at the airport in Paris.

Blue Jay
06-20-2006, 07:20
BJ,

I'm not sure you will be able to get this but in Amerika if you are not a producer or a consumer (food does not count), you are nothing and thus trash. I am useful to myself and not AmeriKa. By the way, if you hike the AT you will meet plenty of people from other countries who are not persecuted in thos countries for being hiker trash.

Ender
06-20-2006, 09:18
So "pejorative" is out but "atrophied" is ok? Any words found on the SAT are generally to be avoided, unless one is a gear head hiker trash.:D:D:D

I'd say atrophied is still OK to use... I use it constantly to describe my muscles if I stay in town for too long, or my stomach if I've been out of town for too long...

wilderness bob
06-20-2006, 09:32
1Pint asks, "Please forgive my ignorance, but.... What does "hiker trash" mean? It sounds pejorative, yet I keep seeing people refer to themselves as hiker trash.

example and answer, Me.

Preacher Dude
06-20-2006, 09:33

There is hope!
I also take exception to your statement running down this country. I have lived in Morroco and Taiwan and travelled extensively in Europe and in my opinion there is absolutely no other place to live other than the US of A.....and 2nd place ain't even close. You are very naive to think that prejudice only exists in this country.... obviously you have not been to some of the places in the world that I have. I served this country in the NAVY and have friends who have given their lives to preserve this way of life and the freedoms that you obviously take for granted.....so forgive me but I take it very personal when someone expresses the sentiments that you have. This country is not perfect and never will be nor will any other place on this earth. If you have experienced prejudice for being "hiker trash" just chalk it up to certain indivduals who don't understand and don't create some sort of ideology and generalizations about this country being "judgmental". All of us who have been around awhile have experienced prejudice...try being in the Navy in Norfolk, VA and seeing signs on the lawns of some of the townfolks that say, "Dogs and sailors keep off the grass" ... so quit your whinning about some folks not liking you.... and just be thankful that you are fortunate enough to live here and can enjoy a lifestyle that most others in the world would love to have. I have travelled this great nation of ours from "sea to shining sea" and there is no greater bunch of folks on the face of this earth than right here in the good ole USA..... and I find that "hiker trash" are the very best of the lot.

Footslogger
06-20-2006, 09:43
I once heard that the difference between a Hiker and Hiker Trash is somewhat akin to the difference between Yankees and Damn Yankees.

Yankees come and visit you down south and then head home. The Damn Yankess never really leave.

Hiker Trash applies to those of us who visit the trail and never really leave.

'Slogger

1Pint
06-20-2006, 10:11
Hiker trash -- Do you bath weekly? And on and on.... If you can answer most of these as YES then you are hiker trash.

And to the line about freedom in AMERICA....

I dont know what countries you've been too, I've been to 89 on six continents total now including every country in S. America, the middle east, and Europe, half of Africa, Australia and New Zealand, Japan, S Korea, Vietnam, Russia and most of the former USSR. I aint never, ever seen a country with more freedom than we have that includes Canada. If you like it so much somewhere else, get out. Johnny Depp will meet you at the airport in Paris.

Thanks for the clarification on the term. Now I'm positive I haven't earned the title yet, but one day on the trail I hope that it'll come to me.

As to the political responses.... I haven't traveled as extensively as Amigi or many of the rest of you, I'm sure. I've only visited a tiny fraction of our world's countries while living on 4 of our continents. I get sad everytime I hear the start of this "Love It or Leave It" vs "We're Cool, But We're Not A Pizza and A Six Pack."

To have a true exchange of ideas on this huge topic requires us to first define freedom and persecution. Then we have to figure out whether we are talking about treatment of the majority of the people in the country or how the minority within that country is treated. Next we need to decide whether we care to talk about how noncitizens within that country are treated. My point is, there are just too many layers and too many correct answers for us to casually sling one-liners at each other. So, I guess I'm saying that I'd love to debate this around a campfire in parts 1 - 10 as we hike along. Anything less would be tough to do well. Peace.

SGT Rock
06-20-2006, 10:17
An even better idea, don't bring it to the campfire either:D

Life is too short to get worked up about that sort of thing at the campfire ;)

Just Jeff
06-20-2006, 11:25
My take on the "Love it or leave it" mess:

- It's not "My country, right or wrong." It's more like "My country - and when it's not right, let's fix it."

- If you're not working to fix it, then leave or shut up - no sniveling.

Wookie is definitely more "left" than most folks - probably even than most folks here on WB! - but IMO he's working to help our country by taking an active role in the community, educating people on how to protect and enjoy our environment and public lands, etc. As any patriot should, he points out America's shortcomings when necessary. I completely disagree with most of what he says on those topics, but I respect that he's working within the system and assuming the social responsibility that more Americans should. We need people of all political persuasions to balance out our nation...that's what the country is supposed to be about.

My problem is with this Amerika garbage. Of the functioning governments on the planet, the US is easily one of the least oppressive. This epithet is blatantly unpatriotic just for the sake of being disrespectful, and therefore not helpful. Point out the problems and fix them - or leave. Free speech carries the obligation to use it responsibly.

Mags
06-20-2006, 11:34

-

Wow Jeff! A fair, balanced and conciltory political post. What's it doing on the Internet? :D Of course, I agree so that make it easier. ;) Nothing wrong with criticism...but harder to do something about it! Be it government or trails, easier to complain about something than do it. See this in the outdoor group I am active with, see this with poliics, see this with the people who kvetch in general. Kvetching is not a conservative or liberal things..I think it is human nature.

Getting back to hiker trash...

I always felt "Hiker trash" is in the same category as "ski bum" or "river rat". A person who makes hiking a lifestyle as much as a hobby. And just like a ski bum or a river rat, hiker trash are not atheletes. We may become athletic because of what we do..but that is happen stance. I see many atheletes who happen to be in the outdoors...hiker trash happens to be outdoor people who get athletic.

SGT Rock
06-20-2006, 11:36
Hiker trash --

Do you bath weekly?

Do you admire indoor plumbing?

Can you set up a 5 min tent in three minutes in the rain without a flash light?

Do you get excited when you see fire?

Is shaving an option you havent thought of in awhile?

Do you think of body odor as your own personal cologne?

Do you prefer to sleep on the floor on a 3/4in pad instead of in a bed? Or...

Do you have a hammock hanging in your bedroom? (neo)

Can you fit your life in 5500 cu ins?

Is walking 5 miles a short distance to you?

Have you felt a presence in the woods you cant explain but know is there?

Are you immune to mosquitoe bites?

And on and on....

If you can answer most of these as YES then you are hiker trash.

Is this like playing "You might be a redneck if..."

Like: You might be hiker trash if there is bandana hanging from your towel rack at home.

SGT Rock
06-20-2006, 11:41

- It's not "My country, right or wrong." It's more like "My country - and when it's not right, let's fix it."

- If you're not working to fix it, then leave or shut up - no sniveling.

Wookie is definitely more "left" than most folks - probably even than most folks here on WB! - but IMO he's working to help our country by taking an active role in the community, educating people on how to protect and enjoy our environment and public lands, etc. As any patriot should, he points out America's shortcomings when necessary. I completely disagree with most of what he says on those topics, but I respect that he's working within the system and assuming the social responsibility that more Americans should. We need people of all political persuasions to balance out our nation...that's what the country is supposed to be about.

Got to agree. Wookie and I often see the opposite ends of things, but Wookie has enough class to see the other side too without getting too caught up in the phrase spouting like some on either side of any debate seem to around here. The thing is even Wookie and I can agree on many things too.

Wookie is my kind of people. If you ain't met him, you should. We need more people like him in this country.

the goat
06-20-2006, 11:49

There is hope!

i don't think that: fear of what others may think of you makes one "UNfree", rather, it makes one insecure. further, if one molds their lifestyle based on this fear, it makes one weak, and definitely not hiker trash!

Heater
06-20-2006, 12:03
Is this like playing "You might be a redneck if..."

Like: You might be hiker trash if there is bandana hanging from your towel rack at home.

You have a bandana on your towel rack, don't ya? C'mon, Fess up.

warren doyle
06-20-2006, 12:11
In my opinion, hiker trash is a label.
I don't consider myself 'hiker trash' because I 'don't do junk'.

SGT Rock
06-20-2006, 12:23
You have a bandana on your towel rack, don't ya? C'mon, Fess up.

Well my wife takes it down and puts it in the laundry.

Ok, how about this: You know you are hiker trash when you have a hiker food box in your kitchen.

or

You know you are hiker trash when the guy at the outfitters asks your advice on gear.

or even better...

When you give advice to the guy at the outfitters you take the gear you recommend out of the trash can and show it to him.

Blue Jay
06-20-2006, 12:27
My problem is with this Amerika garbage. Of the functioning governments on the planet, the US is easily one of the least oppressive. This epithet is blatantly unpatriotic just for the sake of being disrespectful, and therefore not helpful. Point out the problems and fix them - or leave. Free speech carries the obligation to use it responsibly.

We are "accidently" killing women and children on an almost daily basis. Granted they are not Amerikans, so in your little world that makes it alright. How do you suggest I get us to stop?

SGT Rock
06-20-2006, 12:30
Join the Army and go stop it. Probably the only way you can directly influence it.

Anyway, this thread is not supposed to be about the Iraq war. You want to turn it into that go to the off topics politics form.

Heater
06-20-2006, 12:48
Well my wife takes it down and puts it in the laundry.

Ok, how about this: You know you are hiker trash when you have a hiker food box in your kitchen.

or

You know you are hiker trash when the guy at the outfitters asks your advice on gear.

or even better...

When you give advice to the guy at the outfitters you take the gear you recommend out of the trash can and show it to him.

OK, ok... If you have one of these,

...you might be Hiker trash!

Just Jeff
06-20-2006, 13:00
...so in your little world that makes it alright.

Pretty presumptuous to think you know what goes on in my little world. Don't speak for me, and don't tell me my values.

I'm with Rock - if y'all want to continue this in the other forum, I'm game. No more posts from me about this in here, though.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
06-20-2006, 13:09
Thanks for taking the political discuss to the non-AT forum.

You might be hiker trash if you have ever slept in a hammock or tent in your own backyard or on your deck.

You might be stove-addicted hiker trash if you grin everytime you see a Pepsi can, cat food can or a Hieny can.

Burn
06-20-2006, 13:20
you might be hiker trash if, while strolling the neighboorhood park, you looked for stealth camping opportunities and told yer buds where it was.

Heater
06-20-2006, 13:35
you might be hiker trash if, while strolling the neighboorhood park, you looked for stealth camping opportunities and told yer buds where it was.

...and if you have ever explained...

"No officer, I'm not camping here, I'm just testing my equipment."

:D

Tin Man
06-20-2006, 13:39
Dang! I am still stuck in the corporate world, even been called a corporate camper, but I aspire to be hiker trash - that must count for something. Or are White Blazers automatically granted "hiker trash" status? :-? Is there a patch? :cool:

Preacher Dude
06-20-2006, 14:10
OK, ok... If you have one of these,

...you might be Hiker trash!
WOW!!!!!! and just where can I get one of those gigantic rolls of duct tape?

Wonder
06-20-2006, 14:17
YOu might be hiker trash if you concider that Raman Noodles their own food group...........not just soup anymore!!!

Preacher Dude
06-20-2006, 14:34
You might be "hiker trash" if you always keep a fully loaded pack in your vehicle ....just in case that spontaneous urge hits to go to the woods.
or
you might be hiker trash if you keep your pack in the van, take out both rows of back seats and set up the mattress pad.....just in case the house gets too stuffy and you need a quick fix of a tent-like set up.
or
Keep your tent set up in the backyard (or better still "the front yard") for the same reason as above.

Heater
06-20-2006, 14:47
Keep your tent set up in the backyard (or better still "the front yard") for the same reason as above.

That's me! :o (backyard)
Not my good tent, though. ;)

Two Speed
06-20-2006, 14:55
...and if you have ever explained...

"No officer, I'm not camping here, I'm just testing my equipment."

:DLiving in a condo I haven't had to deal with Officer Friendly while on a "backyard camping excursion" but have had a few neighbors ask me what the heck I think I'm doing. They seem to have acclimated to my occasional departures from "normal" behaviour and all they do now is wander over with an extra beer and ask me how things are going.

Jeez, I've got some great neighbors!

the goat
06-20-2006, 15:00
you might be hiker trash if you keep your pack in the van, take out both rows of back seats and set up the mattress pad.....just in case the house gets too stuffy and you need a quick fix of a tent-like set up.

ha, ha- that's bonzo!

glenda
06-20-2006, 15:02
I received the title "hiker trash" because I was willing to drink out of a coke bottle retrieved from a dumpster, drank out of first by "Pirate", and then offered to me. What can I say...I was really thirsty and proud to be so named!

Sparrow

bfitz
06-20-2006, 15:54
I'm not sure you will be able to get this but in Amerika if you are not a producer or a consumer (food does not count), you are nothing and thus trash. I am useful to myself and not AmeriKa. By the way, if you hike the AT you will meet plenty of people from other countries who are not persecuted in thos countries for being hiker trash.You niether produce nor consume?

Preacher Dude
06-20-2006, 16:12
ha, ha- that's bonzo!
It's also me........
Speaking of Bonzo and Rio though....anybody know where they are on the trail?....should be getting close to Damascus if he went back out when he said he was ...based on his last trail journal post that I read.

bfitz
06-20-2006, 16:12
Being hiker trash means I have the priveledge of living in "my own little world", and I am king here and always right about about everything. It is a great place to live or to visit. I am a permanent resident. We listen to a lot of heavy metal, on holidays especially...we have Ozzy day, and Metallica day, Green Day, and, what you "normal folk" call christmas, Ronnie James Dio's birthday....No one here is ever persecuted, although the unworthy are purified and indurated in the mosh pit.....

Preacher Dude
06-20-2006, 16:24
You might be "hiker trash" if you attempt to put duct tape on your little child's "boo-boo" instead of a "Barney Band-Aid".
or
You might be "hiker trash" if you are certain that somewhere in the Bible it says ....."and on the eighth day, God created duct tape"

bfitz
06-20-2006, 16:34
[QUOTE=Preacher Dude]You might be "hiker trash" if you attempt to put duct tape on your little child's "boo-boo" instead of a "Barney Band-Aid".[QUOTE]
:D good one...

Ender
06-20-2006, 17:05
You might be "hiker trash" if you attempt to put duct tape on your little child's "boo-boo" instead of a "Barney Band-Aid".

Well, I hope parents do that anyway... Barney is evil!!! :eek: :eek:

:p

Skidsteer
06-20-2006, 17:51
You might be "hiker trash" if you always keep a fully loaded pack in your vehicle ....just in case that spontaneous urge hits to go to the woods.

Man, you're readin' my mail on that one.:o

I never thought I qualified as 'hiker trash'. Guess I'll have to give it some more thought.

general
06-20-2006, 18:02
I don't consider myself 'hiker trash' because I 'don't do junk'.

not to worry warren, you'll never be considered hiker trash by anyone else either.

Marta
06-20-2006, 19:14
You might be hiker trash if you have ever slept in a hammock or tent in your own backyard or on your deck.

Uh, oh. I hope none of my neighbors are on Whiteblaze. I don't think they can actually see the hammock--it's on the screened porch.

max patch
06-20-2006, 19:39

Good comment.

Gray Blazer
06-20-2006, 21:07
:rolleyes: <TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"><TBODY><TR height="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on" width="100%"><TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off"></TD></TR><TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on">
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"><TBODY><TR height="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on" width="100%"><TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off">When I grow up, I want to be hiker trash!</TD></TR><TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on">

Gray Blazer
06-20-2006, 21:08
<TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"><TBODY><TR height="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on" width="100%"><TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off">something wrong with computer....must.....</TD></TR><TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on">

dreamhiker
06-20-2006, 21:36
[quote=Preacher Dude]You might be "hiker trash" if you always keep a fully loaded pack in your vehicle ....just in case that spontaneous urge hits to go to the woods.

Sounds like me I keep two packs a day pack and backpacking pack plus trekking poles,boots,trail maps and power bars in my trunk at all times. I'm looking forward to a spontaneous urge to hit the woods. Or if the wife tosses me out of the house if she keeps finding hiking books and maps all over the house LOL
DreamHiker

Tin Man
06-20-2006, 21:40
Sounds like me I keep two packs a day pack and backpacking pack plus trekking poles,boots,trail maps and power bars in my trunk at all times. I'm looking forward to a spontaneous urge to hit the woods. Or if the wife tosses me out of the house if she keeps finding hiking books and maps all over the house LOL
DreamHiker

Hmmm. Looks like I need to go to hiker trash school for remedial training - I don't carry food and I have to waste time to stop and buy some!

Tha Wookie
06-20-2006, 22:42
Wookie, I think you and I have travelled in different circles, internationally speaking. I think the US, including all of its shortcomings, is pretty much the best place to live in the world. I don't base my opinion on anything but my experiences. I am sure your opinions are based on your experiences. I am sure there are many things we wholeheartedly agree on (the trail system thing) and probably more that we don't.

Ed, I am with you on the permanent rez thing. Still working on the alaskan log cabin thing, but chances are slim.

Regards to both of ya.

thanks for the cool headed response. Considering most (but not all) of the other countries I've visited are in the tropics, I'd agree that we do have different subjective experiences.

Of course, a couple in this thread played the patriot card and tried to make it sound I don't love America or that I'd might enjoy better another place.

When in fact, all I was repsonding to was the statement you made that read "Only in America..." can be be jobless, hairy, etc. Let me ask you -Did you ever visit France?

Much Respect,

nate

the goat
06-20-2006, 22:56
Let me ask you -Did you ever visit France?

wookie, i know this question ain't for me, but i have been to france & have friends living there, (and also french friends living here). the unemployment rate among people our age is hovering around 25%.....i don't know a/b you, but i'd rather choose to be jobless.

anyways, i realize now the point you were trying to make, but you did lose me when you talked a/b how "UNfree" america is compared to other places. this is probably what people take exception with, considering that comparitively, we are more free than any other nation that's ever existed on this earth.....including, and especially present-day france.

i just returned from an extended euro-trip last month (italy mostly). love to visit it, but would never want to be there permanently.

Tha Wookie
06-20-2006, 23:41
wookie, i know this question ain't for me, but i have been to france & have friends living there, (and also french friends living here). the unemployment rate among people our age is hovering around 25%.....i don't know a/b you, but i'd rather choose to be jobless.

anyways, i realize now the point you were trying to make, but you did lose me when you talked a/b how "UNfree" america is compared to other places. this is probably what people take exception with, considering that comparitively, we are more free than any other nation that's ever existed on this earth.....including, and especially present-day france.

i just returned from an extended euro-trip last month (italy mostly). love to visit it, but would never want to be there permanently.

I agree, I only want to live permanently in the US or its territories. If I was born Brazilian or Norwegian, I might have a different perspective -but I wasn't, and this is what I know and love. But I bet people born in those places have different definitions of what "freedom" is. Kind of ironic, when you think about it -a flag of Freedom over a country built on genocide and slavery. Freedom for whom?

Did you know that until the 70's it was federally illegal for Native Americans to hold a sweatlodge, and they were tracked by the FBI for doing so? just this year, the government finally admited to listening to our phone converstations? There are over 50 "eye in the sky" cameras in Athens GA that constantly watch and record everything that moves on the sidewalks, alleys, courtyards, and storefronts?

We're not free. That's like saying we're weightless. We might have a relatively higher degree of freedom than Iraq or Kosovo, but when you boil it down past the freedom to mutliply and shop, we're not really the saints we like to see in the mirror sometimes. I'm not down on what America is, just what America is sold to be. And the fact that America's image has to be contantly sold and re-sold should tell us something -that the way we live isn't really free. Yes, we have lost a number of good men to live this way, but we have killed a good many more. When the nationalism fades away from memory, we see that we aren't the only ones living and dying for freedom all over the world.

bfitz
06-21-2006, 01:39
You can be free! All you have to do is produce nothing and consume nothing.

Nightwalker
06-21-2006, 07:20
Well, maybe un-stuff the sleeping bag...

Nightwalker
06-21-2006, 07:27
By the way, if you hike the AT you will meet plenty of people from other countries who are not persecuted in thos countries for being hiker trash.
BTW, I'm not persecuted in this country for being HT, but a number of other hikers do see me as purty weird. Especially the "one-year-wonder" types. :)

Nightwalker
06-21-2006, 07:30
Or when the outfitter thanks you for helping a customer on a question that he has no clue on. (Magnetic declination, in this case.)

1Pint
06-21-2006, 07:59
BTW, I'm not persecuted in this country for being HT, but a number of other hikers do see me as purty weird. Especially the "one-year-wonder" types. :)

What's a one-year-wonder? Someone who does the AT and then never hikes again?

Rain Man
06-21-2006, 09:40
I agree, I only want to live permanently in the US or its territories. If I was born Brazilian or Norwegian, I might have a different perspective -but I wasn't, and this is what I know and love. ...

We're not free. That's like saying we're weightless. ... When the nationalism fades away from memory, we see that we aren't the only ones living and dying for freedom all over the world.

Wow, Wookie, what a powerful post!

Rain:sunMan

hammock engineer
06-21-2006, 09:43
Hmmm. Looks like I need to go to hiker trash school for remedial training - I don't carry food and I have to waste time to stop and buy some!

I might have to upgrade mine to. I only have shoes, gaitors, trekking poles, pack for those last minute day hikes. I would also have to waste time packing the hammock and getting food for an overnight.

leeki pole
06-21-2006, 10:29
[quote=Tha Wookie] If I was born Brazilian

.....then you'd be Wookienaldo and a awesome soccer player:D

all the best to you, Nate...Keith

Mags
06-21-2006, 11:57

Hey..what part of Italy? Finally went there September and visited some off the beaten path places where tourists don't go.(in Ciociaria) Was not long enough of a trip! Next time, hope to go to the really deep south and look up another branch of the family.

Back to our poltical discussion. :-)

the goat
06-21-2006, 12:32
Hey..what part of Italy? Finally went there September and visited some off the beaten path places where tourists don't go.(in Ciociaria) Was not long enough of a trip! Next time, hope to go to the really deep south and look up another branch of the family.

Back to our poltical discussion. :-)

yeah, no matter how long you stay, it never seems long enough. this was my second trip. (my first was a while ago, and covered much of the country.)
this trip was rome, venice (had to see it once, missed it on my first trip), parma, florence (my favorite), and back to rome for a while. didn't really get to many off the beated path places this time...that is the best while traveling italy.
the deep south is beautiful, you'll love it. sicilia is very enjoyable, if you get the chance.... siricusa is also one of my favorites.

Nightwalker
06-21-2006, 12:34
What's a one-year-wonder? Someone who does the AT and then never hikes again?Or beforehand, either.

I'm having to deal with the fact that my brain damage from those @#$%&^ strokes has caused personality changes that makes me stand out, even amongst my "peers." (Thanks for that, Swooft.)

Crap like that is why I live out there as much as I can, at least when there's money in the budget.

It makes me really grateful for guys like Sly, Baltimore Jack, Lone Wolf, RainMan and others. They can't help but tell that I'm "odd", but they treat me just like everyone else. That's class.

I think that I have another three definitions for this thread: (1) Someone who isn't really comfortable unless they're "out there.", on some trail or another. (2) Someone who hikes 12 months a year, because they can't stand to do otherwise. (3) Someone who talks about hiking when they're not hiking, even to those who plainly think that it's demented to want to be out there so much.

I'm covered in chiggers, insect bites, ivy rashes, and I'm just tired. I can't wait for the stoopid blood tests to come back (Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever or Lyme Disease are suspected) so I can go out again.

Seeker
06-21-2006, 14:09
You might be "hiker trash" if you are certain that somewhere in the Bible it says ....."and on the eighth day, God created duct tape"

you mean it might not be? that can't be right... it's gotta be in there somewhere... up near the front, after that part where he gave adam a hiking partner... but before they violated the LNT policy...

Frolicking Dinosaurs
06-21-2006, 14:37
You boys have it all wrong - the duct tape was created before everything else. What do you think is holding this world together?

Amigi'sLastStand
06-21-2006, 14:38
you mean it might not be? that can't be right... it's gotta be in there somewhere... up near the front, after that part where he gave adam a hiking partner... but before they violated the LNT policy...

This is one of the funniest posts I've read here. It told me 5 mins to be able to type again. Then again I needed to calm down after Osloando got done.
There's no need to thank anyone for providing you the freedom you enjoy. None at all. While I rarely agree with the current admin, I dont need America "sold" to me. I fought for it, I lost friends for it, and I taste it everday, both the bitter and the sweet. No chinese police here to monitor your responses, so it cant be that bad. Oh yeah, in France, they dont need a warrant to listen to your phone calls. There wouldnt even be a debate about it. Here, there is and justice will have her day.
God bless.

Nightwalker
02-28-2009, 19:07
I always felt "Hiker trash" is in the same category as "ski bum" or "river rat". A person who makes hiking a lifestyle as much as a hobby. And just like a ski bum or a river rat, hiker trash are not athletes. We may become athletic because of what we do..but that is happen stance. I see many atheletes who happen to be in the outdoors...hiker trash happens to be outdoor people who get athletic.The first guy that I've ever seen define it in a way that I could buy into.

I don't consider myself 'hiker trash'.No problem.

Man, you're readin' my mail on that one.:o

I never thought I qualified as 'hiker trash'. Guess I'll have to give it some more thought.I always thought you were in the club. :)

[B]Sounds like me I keep two packs a day pack and backpacking pack plus trekking poles,boots,trail maps and power bars in my trunk at all times. I'm looking forward to a spontaneous urge to hit the woods. Or if the wife tosses me out of the house if she keeps finding hiking books and maps all over the house LOL
DreamHikerIt's easier than carrying it in all the time.

Bare Bear
03-01-2009, 19:22
I am not 'pejoritive'. I am Irish-German born in the USA. I was called hiker trash a few times, mostly when it was my turn to get the round of beer. I miss Duncannon.

greepigfoot
03-04-2009, 00:59
based on my journeys overseas (former peace corp volunteer), I can say that SOME aspects are better in america (freedom of speech for instance) while SOME aspects of other countries are better (if you break your leg you dont go broke in Italy for example). There some pros to living in america (as well as some cons) and there are some pros to living in western europe / australia / new zealand/ whatever. Oh by the way I have a fully loaded pack (including freeze dried food) in my trunk.

SGT Rock
03-04-2009, 09:37
I like Mags definition best.

kayak karl
11-12-2010, 13:10
How do you know if you are hiker trash?

Luddite
11-12-2010, 13:15
Somebody needs to put it on Urban Dictionary.

sbhikes
11-12-2010, 14:27
I have a really good picture of hiker trash on my blog. I think you just have to see what hiker trash looks like to understand.
http://farewelltospring.blogspot.com/2010/10/hiker-trash.html

Grampie
11-12-2010, 15:09
Being a thru-hiker and being called "Hiker Trash" by other hikers shows a sort of respect.
Our 2001 banner that we carry at Trail Days awards the name "Hiker Trash" to all those who hiked in 2001. Most have signed on to being called this.

Pony
11-12-2010, 15:58
How do you know if you are hiker trash?

If you're loitering in front of a conveneince store eating a pint of Ben & Jerry's, most likely after destroying the dollar menu at McD's, wearing rain gear on a perfectly sunny day because everything you own is being washed.

p.s. Or you've acquired a taste for PBR.

mweinstone
11-12-2010, 18:37
trash that hikes
trash that likes trash
trash in a pack
trashed hikers
trash in human form
trashlike
trashworthy
trashingly smashing trash
smashed trash
smashed trashed trash
trash smashed with smashed tras trashing

only a partial listing of what is hiker trash.

sbhikes
11-12-2010, 21:51
wearing rain gear on a perfectly sunny day because everything you own is being washed.

That's a pretty classic one.

neighbor dave
11-12-2010, 22:53
:-? i hike
:-? i aint trash
:-? i think it's a stupid saying

Sly
11-12-2010, 23:48
:-? i hike
:-? i aint trash
:-? i think it's a stupid saying

Yes sir... :o:p:D

mweinstone
11-21-2010, 11:45
wearing a raincoat while in laundrymat aint trash. its just hiker. big diff. trash washes the raincoat sneaking in and out of the bathroom to switch clothes to dryer and again to get dressed. stays in bathroom like an hour totaly naked after judgeing the laundry to be empty, like early morning in glassglow on the james river. leaves cleaner than regular hiker, due to two long hiker showers in the sink while doing clothes.then brags about it. then drinks on it. then does it again. you know,...moochers might think to just handwash a little something to wear in the bath sink. nope. trash never "steels"

mweinstone
11-21-2010, 11:52
in an emergency, say someone gets weird or needs the bathroom,....the exit stratagy protocol is to use all available toiletpapper as a dress or manskirt replaceing it imediatly from nearest store. for toilet paper exstraction clothing ideas go to any of many sites on the topic.