PDA

View Full Version : Dilemma

Stonewall
06-19-2006, 19:46
First of all I would like to say hello to everyone I just recently stumbled on this site in search for more information for the AT so far it has been great, hats off to the creator and everyone who has contributed.<O:p<O:p

So here is my dilemma,<O:p
<O:p</O:p

I am graduating from PA with an Associate Degree in Fine Arts in December. I was planning on working for a semester then, taking a Semester course in the Rockies at NOLS <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comhttp://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/ /><st1:City w:st=Bucks County Community College</st1:City>, <st1:State w:st=" /><st1:PlaceName w:st="on">National</st1:PlaceName> <st1:PlaceName w:st="on">Outdoor</st1:PlaceName> <st1:PlaceName w:st="on">Leadership</st1:PlaceName> <st1:PlaceType w:st="on">School </st1:PlaceType>which would give me 16 credits toward my major in fall of 2007. Then spring of 2008 go out to Northland college in WI for a Bachelors in Outdoor Education. <O:p

My dilemma lies here since I started to read and get more info in the thru hike this seems more and more appetizing. But when will I fit it in and come up with the money for it. NOLS it’s self is going to cost about 10k which loans will pay for that and same w/ Northland College. I would rather do a thru hike vs. a sectional I don’t know lol.

BTW anyone have a rough estimate how much a thru trip roughly cost?
A though I was just thinking of, which is going to be a bit extreme but could be possible I finish up in school in December. Start AT in Feb of 2007 give myself and estimated time of 7 months to be on the safe side that will put me back here in Aug 2007 then go out to the NOLS In Sept 07 for 3 Months, get back in Dec then for then off to get my BA in Outdoor Edu. In Jan of 08.

So do I sound crazy, anyone think this is a possible plan?<O:p</O:p

Lol I also want to plan a trip to <st1:PlaceType w:st="on">Mt.</st1:PlaceType> <st1:PlaceName w:st="on">Rainer</st1:PlaceName> too but I figured I would fit that in once I get settled at <ST1:p<st1:PlaceName w:st="on">Northland</st1:PlaceName> <st1:PlaceType w:st="on">College</st1:PlaceType>

cannonball
06-19-2006, 20:13
option 2 seems doable. Now see threads titled 'what is hiker trash"?:eek:

Stonewall
06-19-2006, 20:16
haha, After posting this post I saw the Thread and had a good old laugh.
It's deffinatly going to be me.:banana

map man
06-19-2006, 21:54
Since you are thinking about doing a thru-hike of the AT and also participating in NOLS, you might be interested in a trail journal I've been following this year over at trailjournals.com written by "Red Dane." She has done NOLS, has done a lot of hiking, and is currently thru-hiking the AT. Her journal is a pretty good one, and informative about the AT.

Lone Wolf
06-19-2006, 22:01
Skip NOLS. It's WAY overrated. 10K? Just walk the AT. Best education you can get. Trust me.

Ridge
06-19-2006, 22:31
I'm with LWolf. For 10k you could do a "Triple Crown" the AT, CDT, and PCT. I wish I'd done that before college.

fishinfred
06-19-2006, 23:04
Sounds to me like you solved the delemma yourself in the first post .
Finish up school in Dec Start Hiking in Feb ! A youngster like yourself should have no problem Gettin R Done in time for the fall Classes .
GO FOR IT! Good luck !
:banana
Fishinfred

Wonder
06-19-2006, 23:55
PA????? Meet us at Monks 16th and Spruce{?} Between 5:30-6 on Tuesday....yes the 20th.........GO PHILLY HIKERS!!!!!!!!!

Wonder
06-19-2006, 23:56
U am sorry for the crazy space the above post took up........ I HAVE NO IDEA HOW IT HAPPENED

Stonewall
06-20-2006, 00:25
I would love to meet up with you guys unfortunatualy I work 8 am to 8 pm mon-thurs.... got to pay the bills somehow :(

Stonewall
06-20-2006, 09:47
Skip NOLS. It's WAY overrated. 10K? Just walk the AT. Best education you can get. Trust me.

I would agree with you but the fact that I get 16 credits toward my major for hiking, climbing, kayaking, and sking for 3 months you can't beat it. versus sitting in a class for 3 months and only getting 12-14 credits for the same amount of money.

Lone Wolf
06-20-2006, 09:49
Yup. 16 credits are a lot.