PDA

View Full Version : any way to link the PCT and CDT

dreamhiker
06-20-2006, 09:58
hello,
Is there any way to link the PCT and CDT at both ends and is it possible to complete such a hike? Where would be a good starting place where you would be hiking with the good weather as much as possible?
I have seen one trail that would link the north end not sure of the name it starts on the Wa coast and runs of to GNP just south of the canadian border.
DreamHiker

Mags
06-20-2006, 10:52
hello,
Is there any way to link the PCT and CDT at both ends and is it possible to complete such a hike? Where would be a good starting place where you would be hiking with the good weather as much as possible?
I have seen one trail that would link the north end not sure of the name it starts on the Wa coast and runs of to GNP just south of the canadian border.
DreamHiker

You are thinking of the Pacific Northwest Trail. Starts at Glacier/Waterton (where I'll be in a few days. :D) and goes to the Olympics.
http://pnt.org/

dreamhiker
07-03-2006, 08:49
How well marked is the PNT. sounds like a great trail passing over the Cascades and the Rockies sounds like some heavy elevation to do.
DreamHiker

Sly
07-03-2006, 09:03
How well marked is the PNT. sounds like a great trail passing over the Cascades and the Rockies sounds like some heavy elevation to do.
DreamHiker

As far as I know it's not very well marked, if at all. You basically follow a route described in the guidebook and connect existing trails. From what I've heard, as of now, it has an ample amount of bushwhacking and road walking. Still, it crosses some gorgeous country and would be worth attempting.

If you read some of the journals linked from the PNTsite you'll get a better idea.

fiddlehead
07-03-2006, 20:10
Yeah, i agree with Sly. Lindy hiked the PNT about 3 years ago and told me it was basically a bushwhack. (although nice )
As to your original question. I would think do the PCT northbound (and quickly) and then the PCT over to the CDT southbound.
You would need lots of luck with the snow fall on both trails but in the right year, i would think it could be done after seeing what Squeaky could do. Good luck.