PDA

View Full Version : Lasted Possible start date

hammock engineer
06-20-2006, 13:30
This question was asked on another thread, but I think the question got a little lost in the answers.

I have to delay my start due to my school work. What is the latest start date feasible. I read elsewhere that Mt Washington is something that I will want to be over before early October, and that it is 4-5 weeks out from Mt K. That would put a start mid to late August.

I am not really to concerned with hiking in the winter. I did a lot of shakedown hikes over the winter, and feel comfortable sleeping down to single digits.

I don't really want to put off my trip, but is it time to start thinking about putting off my start until the spring and head north? Any thoughts before I pull all my hair out.

SGT Rock
06-20-2006, 14:18
Depends on what you want to do I guess. I would opt for spring if I had the ability to keep working over the winter and not feel rushed to get started and keep moving. But then again there are other off trail factors which may weigh more in that decision.

The Solemates
06-21-2006, 10:45
Baxter "closes" Oct 15th. The Whites are about a month from Katahdin. Leaving Oct 15th puts you in the Whites in mid-Nov, with the possibility of some serious weather, and you would definitely have snow. With adequate winter experience you could do this, but be prepared to slow down and take it easy if needed. Those mountains are unforgiving.

hammock engineer
06-21-2006, 12:10
Thanks for the inputs. I have a couple off trail things that make this year the best to thru. I a going to shot for early August, then figure the rest out as I go.

mattyg2
06-21-2006, 12:56
Another option that may be beneficial is to flip flop. Start somewhere around Harpers Ferry, WV and head north. Once you are done with the northern part of the trail, finish up the southern half without having to worry about closing dates.

I don't know if you want the straight approach, or the experience of finishing in Khatadin, but its worth considering. In addition, starting northbound in late August and going southbound would also work with your time constraints.

Matt

hammock engineer
06-21-2006, 14:22
I thought about that. I really like the continuous journy, that and the added cost with a flip. My main concern is the fall in the south, which a flip will not get me away from.

The Solemates
06-21-2006, 15:09
Thanks for the inputs. I have a couple off trail things that make this year the best to thru. I a going to shot for early August, then figure the rest out as I go.

leaving early august is no problem, and not even considered "late" in my mind.

The Solemates
06-21-2006, 15:10
I thought about that. I really like the continuous journy, that and the added cost with a flip. My main concern is the fall in the south, which a flip will not get me away from.

leaving in early august puts you in the south from nov-dec. nov-dec is generally pretty mild in the south. no doubt you may have some snow, but no major storms.

hammock engineer
06-21-2006, 15:55
leaving in early august puts you in the south from nov-dec. nov-dec is generally pretty mild in the south. no doubt you may have some snow, but no major storms.

Thanks for the help. August might just seem late to me, since I have been pushing the date back for a while. My original start date would have put me on the trail by now.

Peaks
06-21-2006, 16:51
Adding to Rock's post, your concern should be getting safetly past the exposed ridge walks of the White Mountains. The later in the season you are, the more chance for severe weather up there. A thru-hiker died there on 9/11/02.

An August start date, or even an early September start date should be early enough to get safely through the Whites. Just be prepared to hold up if it gets nasty.