PDA

View Full Version : Washing your hammock

funbun
06-20-2006, 13:46
Over the wekend I got into some Poison Ivy. I was wondering would it be wise to wash my hammock. I'm using a Speer sttyle hammock that I made.

Sugarfoot
06-20-2006, 14:40
I've washed my Speer hammock in a front-loading machine with no problems. It air-dries pretty fast in the sun. If you are concerned about the Peapod, I would wash it like you would a down sleeping bag, using a very mild powdered detergent (or Nik-Wash), front-loader only, and be sure to dry it on low thoroughly, possibly adding a few tennis balls to break up any clumps of down. Ed Speer talks about washing the hammock in his book -- he treats the fabric with silicone for winter use and then washes it out in the Spring.

Heater
06-20-2006, 14:44
I've washed my Speer hammock in a front-loading machine with no problems. It air-dries pretty fast in the sun. If you are concerned about the Peapod, I would wash it like you would a down sleeping bag, using a very mild powdered detergent (or Nik-Wash), front-loader only, and be sure to dry it on low thoroughly, possibly adding a few tennis balls to break up any clumps of down. Ed Speer talks about washing the hammock in his book -- he treats the fabric with silicone for winter use and then washes it out in the Spring.

I think he is more concerned with spreading the poison. I guess the answer would be how allergic to it you are.

There might be something you could add to neutralize it.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
06-20-2006, 14:55
Poison ivy's active ingredient is an oil. Any detergent (not soap) will cut the oil. If you are very allergic to poison ivy, have someone else wash your hammock if possible. The male dino is very allergic and has gotten it several times from handling our exposed gear.

bearbag hanger
06-20-2006, 16:30
I would assume you can wash your hammock following everyone's advise already mentioned. The most important thing to remember is if you decide to dry it in the dryer. Low setting and for short periods of time. Check it every five minutes or so. The silicone in the fabric can easily melt, gum up the dryer and ruin both the dryer and your hammock in short order.