PDA

View Full Version : Utilikilts

Stonewall
06-20-2006, 15:43
I was wondering if anyone has done the AT in a Utilikilt? Why should the girls have all the luxuries of ventilation lol.

rhjanes
06-20-2006, 16:10
not sure if they did it in utilikilts....but.

http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3002

briarpatch
06-20-2006, 16:36
https://secure.utilikilts.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=30

jlb2012
06-20-2006, 16:43
that 100% nylon one looks interesting: https://secure.utilikilts.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=64

Stonewall
06-20-2006, 16:58
I was looking at this one https://secure.utilikilts.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=46 but don't know if it would be a wet sponge

Skidsteer
06-20-2006, 17:59
that 100% nylon one looks interesting: https://secure.utilikilts.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=64

Carrying a fuel bottle in the "marsupial pouch" is cheating! :D ;)

Frolicking Dinosaurs
06-20-2006, 21:19
I may have to make a Mocker knock-off without the rear pockets from ripstop. The design of the nylon utilikilt won't work.

Needles
06-21-2006, 04:16
I may have to make a Mocker knock-off without the rear pockets from ripstop. The design of the nylon utilikilt won't work.

Actually the nylon Utilikilt is great for hiking, it is so comfy and non-restricting and well air-conditioned as to make every day on the trail seem like naked hiking day, except without the people laughing at you or the fear of arrest.

The other kilts made by Utilikilts (I used to work for Utilikilts so I am pretty familiar with them) really vary in their suitability for hiking. The "Workman's" kilt and "Spartan" kilt suck for hiking as 12 feet of soggy, wet, 100% cotton is never any fun. The Mocker is OK with its 65% poly/35% cotton blend as long as you keep the front pockets empty (these things are built really deep and curved to fall in between your legs. Great for sitting around and preventing things inside your pockets from creating unsightly bulges in your kilt but not so great when stuff in your pockets is banging into your inner thighs all day). The "Original" model comes in a few different materials, avoid the corduroy and camo as they are 100% cotton, but the twill is the same 65/35 poly cotton blend as the Mocker and dries amazingly fast. The pockets on the Original are great, completely outside the kilt you can fill them up to over flowing and they still don't get in the way.

One hint, if you order a Mocker or Original call your order in and ask for "waist snaps", without them you are almost forced to wear a belt with these kilts which doesn't work to well under the hip belt of a pack.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
06-21-2006, 10:15
Needles - might want to let the powers that be at Utilikilt that a ripstop version of the original would likely be a big hit with hikers. I'm not wearing anything with cotton in it - not even 35%.

BTW, with the nylon utilikilt - doesn't the stuff in the pouch bang against the front of your thighs? That's what made me thing this wouldn't work for hiking.

D'Artagnan
06-21-2006, 11:20
After reading several testimonials about the advantages of kilts, I decided I would take the plunge earlier this year. I looked at various designs, including the Utilikilt, and finally went with a Sportkilt. I liked the fact that it had a more traditional look and was synthetic and the price was around $100. I was a little hesitant the first time I wore it on the trail simply because it was so foreign to be wearing something other than shorts or trousers. I carried a pair of shorts in my pack "just in case". Man, I can't tell you how great it was to hike in. It was cool and very comfortable. I did have to pay a little more attention to how I sat down when in mixed company though. It was also amazing to me how much of an icebreaker it was. The ladies especially seem to like it, which is rewarding in and of itself. Once you hike in one, you're not likely to go back.

Stonewall
06-21-2006, 13:14
After reading several testimonials about the advantages of kilts, I decided I would take the plunge earlier this year. I looked at various designs, including the Utilikilt, and finally went with a Sportkilt. I liked the fact that it had a more traditional look and was synthetic and the price was around $100. I was a little hesitant the first time I wore it on the trail simply because it was so foreign to be wearing something other than shorts or trousers. I carried a pair of shorts in my pack "just in case". Man, I can't tell you how great it was to hike in. It was cool and very comfortable. I did have to pay a little more attention to how I sat down when in mixed company though. It was also amazing to me how much of an icebreaker it was. The ladies especially seem to like it, which is rewarding in and of itself. Once you hike in one, you're not likely to go back.

I was wondering if this was the one you purchased? http://www.sportkilt.com/departments/sport-kilts/sport-kilt-specialty-fabrics/Pacific-Trail-Hiker-kilt.cfm
lol if not which one?

D'Artagnan
06-21-2006, 16:34
I was wondering if this was the one you purchased? http://www.sportkilt.com/departments/sport-kilts/sport-kilt-specialty-fabrics/Pacific-Trail-Hiker-kilt.cfm
lol if not which one?

That's the site. I didn't get the "Pacific Crest Trail" -- if memory serves it wasn't available when I got mine. I ended up with the standard Sportkilt which is some synthetic material (I'll have to check the tag to be sure) in the Black Watch tartan. I'm actually supposed to wear the Douglas tartan but I thought the BW would hold up better on the trail and since it's an "open" tartan I didn't think anyone would mind.

Try it, you'll love it. :D

D'Artagnan
06-21-2006, 16:36
D'oh! I meant "Pacific Trail Hiker" not "PCT". Sorry.

LostInSpace
06-21-2006, 16:59
At 23 oz., the "Pacific Trail Hiker" seems a tad heavy. My hiking shorts range from 6.3 to 11 oz.

Newb
06-22-2006, 08:10
I would never feel "right" in a skirt.

Mr. Clean
06-22-2006, 17:20
I've only done overnights, but the Sport kilt rules. Don't let the world hold you back, just do it!

Footslogger
06-22-2006, 17:28
I would never feel "right" in a skirt.
===============================
Didn't think I would either until I got a raging case of chafe during my thru in 2003. If it wasn't for switching over to the kilt for a month or so I may have had to cut my hike short.

Haven't worn it since but keep it with my hiking clothes and wouldn't hesistate for a minute if the situation warranted.

'Slogger

Doctari
06-22-2006, 17:37
I have seen Both the Utili-kilt & the sport kilt. Both are well made (seem to be anyway) I like the Sportkilt better for several reasons: 1) it looks more traditional 2) it comes in fabric containing NO cotton. But then the Utilikilt looks a bit more like shorts, for those who have a problem with wearing a "skirt".

My hiking kilt is homemade, all wool, as are the other 4 I have. One has a small (4" x 4") pocket inside the front flap. I carry some money in that, nothing more. The rest of my stuff goes in a sporran if out in public. There is no pocket on the hiking kilt, was going to make one of No-see-um netting, but decided not to, so I carry a belt pack (2 Oz) when hiking. My hiking kilt weighs about 1 Lb, so is 3x heavier than my hiking shorts, BUT I don't get hot in the kilt so the weight "cost" is worth it to me. I still carry the shorts, for: doing laundry, sleeping in, swimming. The kilt is worn at all other times.

I have thought of making one of nylon, maybe even camo.

Doctari.

DGrav
06-22-2006, 23:03
Has anyone ever worn the Mountain Hardware Kilt? I just ordered one for $40. If I like it will drop the $ on the Sport Kilt. Or see if my favorite company for hiking clothing, Ibex would consider making a light weight wool one.

Footslogger
06-23-2006, 08:43
[quote=DGrav]Has anyone ever worn the Mountain Hardware Kilt?
===================================
That's the one I bought and wore during my thru in 2003. Liked it. Light, easy to don and plenty of pockets.

l still have it but for some reason it doesn't fit anymore. Guess those kilts shrink when you get home from a distance hike. Or ...could it be the 20 some odd pounds I gained ??

'Slogger

DGrav
06-25-2006, 15:49
===================================
That's the one I bought and wore during my thru in 2003. Liked it. Light, easy to don and plenty of pockets.

l still have it but for some reason it doesn't fit anymore. Guess those kilts shrink when you get home from a distance hike. Or ...could it be the 20 some odd pounds I gained ??

'Slogger
Here is a sensitive question. Did you wear the kilt in the "traditional" fashion? If so did you experience any chaffing issues:(?

Needles
06-30-2006, 22:02
Needles - might want to let the powers that be at Utilikilt that a ripstop version of the original would likely be a big hit with hikers. I'm not wearing anything with cotton in it - not even 35%.

Sorry, the powers that be at Utilikilts only listen to the voices inside their head it seems. They once talked about making a specific hiking kilt, it wound up evolving into the "Survival" kilt, 100% cotton, and about 800 pockets (yes, I exaggerate) and I have never figured out why I would need tons of pockets on my hiking clothes when I have a bloody backpack on my back.

As far as the cotton goes, I just got back from a few days on the trail and got rained on like crazy, the kilt dried faster than my capaliene shirt and even while it was wet I noticed it less because unlike shorts the cloth is only touching your skin at your waist, you feel any moisture your shorts hold on your legs, not true with a kilt.

BTW, with the nylon utilikilt - doesn't the stuff in the pouch bang against the front of your thighs? That's what made me thing this wouldn't work for hiking.

Simple answer, don't put anything, or much of anything in the pocket. Again you have a pack on, how much could you really need to have in your pockets?

Doctari
07-01-2006, 11:04
Here is a sensitive question. Did you wear the kilt in the "traditional" fashion? If so did you experience any chaffing issues:(?
Yes I do. Assuming that by "traditional" you mean sans underwear.

No I don't. Well, Much much much less than with shorts &/or undies. Mostly, I think/suspect I chafe because of the heat build up with shorts, even very lightweight shorts. With a kilt, there is no problem.

And, I have worn my kilt comfortably down to 30 deg. worn all day but not while hiking. Note: I wear shorts & Tee down to about that same temp so YMMV.

Doctari.

TOW
07-01-2006, 13:17
I was wondering if anyone has done the AT in a Utilikilt? Why should the girls have all the luxuries of ventilation lol.

you mean utiliskirts don't you?