PDA

View Full Version : Porcupines - Hexacuba Shelter

MistressJenkins
06-20-2006, 15:45
Stayed in May and had 2 porcupines gnawing on the shelter boards all night. VERY nice shelter with bunks and space, but hang everything... including boots because they love the salt!

Hikerhead
06-20-2006, 19:07
I'll make a guess....Hexacuba Shelter?

Doctari
06-21-2006, 10:48
My rats have very tiny salt blocks, about 1/2 or less then the size we used for rabbits years ago. I was thinking of taking some of them along when in Quill Pig area to set out & distract them from eating my boots & stuff. Perhaps 20 - 50 foot from the shelter / campsite. 4 weigh about 2 Oz so I could set a perimiter out with little weight gain. Maybe drive a tent stake in each Or hang from a rope about 1' off the ground, then take them up for the next site.

Just a thought.

Doctari.

StarLyte
06-21-2006, 10:57
Stayed in May and had 2 porcupines gnawing on the shelter boards all night. VERY nice shelter with bunks and space, but hang everything... including boots because they love the salt!

Great post - and interesting......never thought about that. Once I camped out at Three Forks (between Stover & Hawk Mountain Shelters) and was visited by a boar during full moon. It was scary but exhilarating. I hung everything including my toothpaste - I wonder if it was looking for salt as well.

Moon Monster
06-22-2006, 21:50
I was thinking of taking some of them along when in Quill Pig area to set out & distract them from eating my boots & stuff.

If it rains, you might loose the salt. The one I've seen in a shelter (which was in Vermont) seemed to know the shelter well and came right in and went straight for my shoes. I bet it would not have been deterred by salt placed somewhere distant, it might not have noticed.

Porkies are reportdely deterred by mothballs, which are advised to be spread around your car when at trailheads after icy roads have been salted lest the buggers gnaw your belts and hoses.