PDA

View Full Version : bone pac to summit big k first thruhiker this season

mweinstone
06-20-2006, 16:00
trek is in the lead 3 days from katadin,bonepac is faster and racing up from 1 day back of trek . all eyes are on bone pac. i walked with him in the smokeys and hes smoken.follow bone pac on trail journels.

neighbor dave
06-20-2006, 16:37
trek is in the lead 3 days from katadin,bonepac is faster and racing up from 1 day back of trek . all eyes are on bone pac. i walked with him in the smokeys and hes smoken.follow bone pac on trail journels.
:-? not impressed, does trek know he's supposed to be racing???:confused:

mweinstone
06-20-2006, 16:46
so yes they know there racing. but only for the last three days, and only in fun. by the way. bonepac was 7th at harpers.and its really alot of fun to pretend its a race but they both know they wanna climb to the summit together, slowly. treegirl should be there soon followed by bleach and doorag. we all stayed at kincorra together.there such real people and the most wonderful hikers.this class is really special. i pray next year will see as many friendly hikers as this. and i know it will.the AT,........my AT,....attracts the best kind of human being.i love you all. happy katahdening.

neighbor dave
06-20-2006, 16:50
:-? you know a kid from massachusetts,think his trail name is spiderman, he's got to be almost finished by now. he may have changed his trail name . whaddaya know?????:confused:

Lone Wolf
06-20-2006, 16:51
Nobody really knows who's first or last. Not everybody signs in at HF or Katahdin or Springer. Some don't sign registers at all. So numbers mean nothing.

neighbor dave
06-20-2006, 16:56
Nobody really knows who's first or last. Not everybody signs in at HF or Katahdin or Springer. Some don't sign registers at all. So numbers mean nothing.
:-? dats fo sho!! i know 4 people on the trail last year who never signed in. :D

mweinstone
06-20-2006, 17:02
agreed,................but then theres A GREED, a greedy need. a will and a want. competition sets in. even among friends,woman,strangers,bedmates,old and young,.....we compeet for .............not glory..........fun.then theres the ice cream, the ride home,....the friends,......sex,........booze,........being still and not walking or carrying.and when your drunk. years from now. after telling the long story of your long thruhike of the appalachian trail,.........ya throw in,.... oh yeah, i was first that year.its a little cherry on top of your AT sunday.

TJ aka Teej
06-20-2006, 18:12
As of Sunday night several northbound thru-hikers had signed in at Katahdin Stream and summited Katahdin.

The Solemates
06-21-2006, 10:40
yet another useless thread...the same one comes up every year. who cares.

A-Train
06-21-2006, 22:31
"First one to Katahdin loses"- ?

Jack Tarlin
06-22-2006, 10:45
Lone Wolf wisely said that nobody really knows who is first or last.

Furthermore, nobody really cares.

In years to come, the one thing that most of these folks will have in common, other than possessing a meaningless "record", is the wish that they had hiked slower and taken more time to enjoy the Trail.

Being first to Katahdin means absolutely nothing.

plydem
06-22-2006, 10:57
Lone Wolf wisely said that nobody really knows who is first or last.

Furthermore, nobody really cares.

In years to come, the one thing that most of these folks will have in common, other than possessing a meaningless "record", is the wish that they had hiked slower and taken more time to enjoy the Trail.

Being first to Katahdin means absolutely nothing.

While Wolf is probably right about the first or last determination (although from the looks of BonePac's Trailjournal, he signed in everywhere), who are we to say that this doesn't mean something to the guys who are actually hiking? I've seen alot on this website and others where everyone says Hike Your Own Hike. Maybe that's what they are doing and they wanted to hike this fast. It's not like they are setting actual records or anything. They didn't do it in less than 50 days.

Anyway, we shouldn't be judging people on how they hike, when they start or when they finish. The fact is they made it and we should congratulate them on doing it not berate them for having some fun while they are "racing" to the finish line.

MOWGLI
06-22-2006, 11:00
I disagree with some of the sentiments expressed here. I always find it interesting to learn who is finishing at the head of the pack. Even though I have little to no interest in so-called record attempts or similar speed hiking endeavors.

I always find it interesting to learn about the type of person that is willing to hike alone for long stretches - avoid the vortex of town - brave the black flies and mosquitoes - and essentially hike their own hike despite the people who insist that someone who hikes fast or alone or in the dead of winter couldn't possibly enjoy themselves on the AT. I heard all kinds of similar crap in 2000 when I was hiking 20+ miles most days after Waynesboro.

I say Bravo! to Bonepac - or whatever the heck his or her name is.

Just Jeff
06-22-2006, 11:15
I agree with Mowgli. I'm interested in who finishes first...just to know. It's not a competition, and I don't think their hike is better or worse because it was faster, and I'll probably never think about the person again. I don't plan to hike fast when I do it, but who says they didn't enjoy theirs as much as I will?

Besides, what if I only get 90 days to hike, or I don't hike at all. I'll enjoy the hell out of every day I'm on the trail whether I finish or only hike half. And I'll ignore the AT judges.

warren doyle
06-22-2006, 11:40
I am interested in the first northbound thru-hiker who finishes their pilgrimage at Katahdin each hiking season. I like the dynamics involved. Every year has a different but similar story.
I like the 'different drummer' attitude that pushes individuals forward rather than the 'tribe' mentality that can hold individuals back.

mweinstone
06-22-2006, 17:44
you all would like him. every one of you. if one of you didnt like him,.....well then you should eat bad food or something evil should happen to you.hes a mans man if you know what that means. he stands up for weak folkes. he lives the american dream what with mrs pac being a hotti. his children are so great and they love him. and his group of family and friends is hudge. i mean really hudge. that says alot to me. and he hikes with the trail in mind. not other hikers. he was a fast loner from the start. he took off like a rocket from springer. hes got a great life waiting for him on the big k. and he knows it and misses it.he carrys no hot food or stove and a plesant aroma of penut butter and jelly wofts off of him as he passes by.calvin kline should market bone pacs smell. 'P B J' ,....for the nutty man .

Lone Wolf
06-22-2006, 19:11
Can't find HUDGE in Webster's.:-?

Skidsteer
06-22-2006, 19:30
Can't find HUDGE in Webster's.:-?

1.(Mining)noun. An iron bucket for hoisting coal or ore.
2. 1) noun - turd. number 2. poop. Mr. Hanky. Specifically, a turd that, no matter how hard you try at completion of deployment, you cannot wipe away it's memory. (anonym would be a one-wiper).
2) verb - the act of performing number 2. Taking a dump. Pinching a loaf.
1. I've gone through 2 rolls of toilet paper as a result of birthing this hudge.
2. After drinking myself silly and gorging on Mexican food last night, I must hudge like a bandit this morning!

But I'm thinking matthewski means 'huge'. :rolleyes:

generoll
06-22-2006, 22:47
There were several hikers leaving from Springer on New Years Day. Did they all quit or have they perhaps already summitted without fanfare? Anybody know what happened to them?

mweinstone
06-22-2006, 22:51
and tommorow he will wake more popular than the day before. and he will pack up and walk off onto the trail we all love.he will eat trail food we all like. he will stop at a cool vista or at a water source for a rest. and he will contemplate all the world. and in his contemplations, he will think about quitting. and then he will think about white blaze and all the friendly support. i think we account for 10% of his success. how cool it would be to be givin what we keep giving him. support.who knows? maby he would have quit long ago if it werent for us.who knows. but we all know one thing.jelousy.we feel proud of him. we count ourselves his support team. we think of him as an ambassidor for the AT community. as we all are when we thru hike or day trip.people who love the appalachain trail ,....love peace and quiet,pollution free breathing,freedom ,open space,and most of all ,other hikers. because with no people,...the trail is dead and useless.

the goat
06-22-2006, 22:56
and tommorow he will wake more popular than the day before. and he will pack up and walk off onto the trail we all love.he will eat trail food we all like. he will stop at a cool vista or at a water source for a rest. and he will contemplate all the world. and in his contemplations, he will think about quitting. and then he will think about white blaze and all the friendly support. i think we account for 10% of his success. how cool it would be to be givin what we keep giving him. support.who knows? maby he would have quit long ago if it werent for us.who knows. but we all know one thing.jelousy.we feel proud of him. we count ourselves his support team. we think of him as an ambassidor for the AT community. as we all are when we thru hike or day trip.people who love the appalachain trail ,....love peace and quiet,pollution free breathing,freedom ,open space,and most of all ,other hikers. because with no people,...the trail is dead and useless.

are you stoned?

mweinstone
06-22-2006, 22:56
posted on wrong thread.

mweinstone
06-23-2006, 15:54
he summited today and trek is at the birches to summit saturday.godspeed.

mweinstone
06-23-2006, 15:55
http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=143446

LostInSpace
06-23-2006, 17:37
I disagree with some of the sentiments expressed here. I always find it interesting to learn who is finishing at the head of the pack. Even though I have little to no interest in so-called record attempts or similar speed hiking endeavors.

I always find it interesting to learn about the type of person that is willing to hike alone for long stretches - avoid the vortex of town - brave the black flies and mosquitoes - and essentially hike their own hike despite the people who insist that someone who hikes fast or alone or in the dead of winter couldn't possibly enjoy themselves on the AT. I heard all kinds of similar crap in 2000 when I was hiking 20+ miles most days after Waynesboro.

I say Bravo! to Bonepac - or whatever the heck his or her name is.

I agree with your sentiments, but I am curious about whether flies or mosquitoes contributes the most ancilleary incentive. :D:D

MOWGLI
06-23-2006, 18:37
If you look at Bone Pac's journal and see his young family, it's not difficult to understand why he wanted to complete the trail and get home. He has a beautiful family.

Heater
06-23-2006, 18:49
and tommorow he will wake more popular than the day before.

Did you give him a peck on the cheek and pat on the bottom before he slipped off into his sleepy slumber?

:-?

warren doyle
06-26-2006, 12:24
Congrats to Bone-Pac for being the first NOBO thru to finish in 2006.
Sounds like a thrilling 'last lap' finish, at least for Bone-Pac. It would be interesting to get Trek's take on it.
It reminded me of the 1984 first NOBO, when 'The Footist''s hiking partner of the prior several hundred miles snuck out on him before he awoke the last morning to finish first after they had made an agreement to finish together.
Happy trails!

dloome
06-28-2006, 17:02
I hiked with Bone-Pac for awhile in MA and VT before I took off to visit some relatives for a couple days and couldn't catch him again. I'm happy for him simply because he's a super nice guy who saw something special in being the 1st NOBO to summit and worked pretty damn hard to do so. (7 consecutive 30+ mile days I heard?) No wonder I couldn't close that gap fast enough. Congrats Bone-Pac. :)

mweinstone
06-28-2006, 17:07
stayed at kinncorra with you. is doo rag dooing fine? are you? bonester posted a pic on his trailjournals before and after. its neat. you are the fastest hiker as well as the pacman. your a frickin flash dude. only his wife and the rewards of his family make him so so dedicated. its like bone pac was racing home the whole time. its hard to leave this life behind for the trail. i feel selfish sometimes. its humbling to havemet you all.

Askus3
06-29-2006, 07:20
I find it amazing that you caught up with Trek. He had a three day lead on you as you entered Maine. I passed him on Tuesday, 6/6 near East B Hill Road near Andover. While you I met at Hikers Paradise on the evening of 6/9. Bleach, Wood Crow & Do-Rag were one day behind you at Hikers Paradise. However, that is an incredible pace you kept up in some miserable weather across the state of Maine. By the way, I was the fellow hacking away in the small room near the bathroom at Hikers Paradise and finally went home from my car shuttling southbound section hike with pneumonia. I am Ok now.

TOW
06-29-2006, 07:52
I am interested in the first northbound thru-hiker who finishes their pilgrimage at Katahdin each hiking season. I like the dynamics involved. Every year has a different but similar story.
I like the 'different drummer' attitude that pushes individuals forward rather than the 'tribe' mentality that can hold individuals back.very well said..............

TOW
06-29-2006, 07:55
and the band played on.............

TOW
06-29-2006, 08:09
http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=143446well he takes some pretty good photos and he works for a wholesome outfit and i'm happy for him!!!

colbys
06-29-2006, 09:12
man,seems to me since i thrued in 95' that there are tons more people thru-hiking early and finishing early,,dont seem to remember hardly anyone finishig this early.maybe a backlash to all the "hordes" and party atmosphere that one must deal with with starting in late march or april with.
more solitary people wanting to aviod drunken revelry and mass parties at evert town? are the "quiet"hikers being forced by the rest of us to seek solitude by starting and finishing earlier and earlier?

whats next people attmempting northbound hikes leaving springer in nov in years to come?