PDA

View Full Version : Question for the younger hikers

Programbo
06-20-2006, 19:41
I was discussing the changes among hikers over the past 30 years with an old hiking friend of mine this weekend and he asked an interesting question...If you had to go on lets say a 2 week hike along the AT and you knew in advance that you wouldn`t meet any other hikers for the entire 2 weeks (Would have to sleep each night alone, etc) would you still go or is the interaction with others a big part of the reason you go?..I`ll post a poll on here also

Amigi'sLastStand
06-20-2006, 20:22
Would depend on why I was hiking. Sometimes I look forward to the comaraderie fellow hikers share. Other times its to get away for a while and be alone with Mother Nature and God.

Skidsteer
06-20-2006, 20:24
I was discussing the changes among hikers over the past 30 years with an old hiking friend of mine this weekend and he asked an interesting question...If you had to go on lets say a 2 week hike along the AT and you knew in advance that you wouldn`t meet any other hikers for the entire 2 weeks (Would have to sleep each night alone, etc) would you still go or is the interaction with others a big part of the reason you go?..I`ll post a poll on here also

Younger? Younger than what? 40? 30? 25? or 48?

Hiking for two weeks without seeing anybody else....hmmm...count me in.

But you can also put me down for hiking with cell-phone carryin', dog leadin', gun totin', cigarette-smokin', pot-tokin', tree-huggin', internegatin', liberal-bashin', blue-blazin', yellow-blazin', neocon baitin', record-attemptin', canoe-ridin', bourbon-swillin', charity-hikin', Leki-polin', beer-drinkin', newbie wannabein', hiker trashin', section hikin', weinies, snorers, farters, gearheads, Billvillians, stovies, and hammockers!:eek:

I could give a flip as long as I'm hiking and not working.

Whew! I'm feeling much better now.

Gray Blazer
06-20-2006, 20:55
<TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"><TBODY><TR height="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on" width="100%"><TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off">In a heart beat, but,then I'm an old fart.</TD></TR><TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on">
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

hikerjohnd
06-20-2006, 21:27
Assuming I knew there would be no one else before I left I'd be fine with it (and pretty excited about it too).

If I left and passed or saw no one for two weeks I'd wonder when the bomb was dropped and how many survivors I'd encounter when I finished the hike.

1Pint
06-20-2006, 21:28
Younger? Younger than what? 40? 30? 25? or 48?

Hiking for two weeks without seeing anybody else....hmmm...count me in.

But you can also put me down for hiking with cell-phone carryin', dog leadin', gun totin', cigarette-smokin', pot-tokin', tree-huggin', internegatin', liberal-bashin', blue-blazin', yellow-blazin', neocon baitin', record-attemptin', canoe-ridin', bourbon-swillin', charity-hikin', Leki-polin', beer-drinkin', newbie wannabein', hiker trashin', section hikin', weinies, snorers, farters, gearheads, Billvillians, stovies, and hammockers!:eek:

I could give a flip if I'm hiking and not working.

Whew! I'm feeling much better now.

Not sure what you meant by younger, but I feel it, so my vote is: Gotta go with Skidsteer on all of the above.
Absolutely love being alone and love it when others are around. Enjoy it all.

the goat
06-20-2006, 22:35
i'd jump at it for sure, i love being alone, that's why i go sobo. don't get me wrong, i'm not anti-social or anything, but i do love my solitude, even in long stretches. truthfully, it's one of my major reasons for hiking.

Amigi'sLastStand
06-20-2006, 23:07
i'd jump at it for sure, i love being alone, that's why i go sobo. don't get me wrong, i'm not anti-social or anything, but i do love my solitude, even in long stretches. truthfully, it's one of my major reasons for hiking.
:sun Captured my feeling to a tee. And I would also would wonder if the bomb dropped.
Out 2 weeks in solitude. I love the question, "How long you been out?". Usually posed by someone who understands why you smell, why you seem a little strange, and why you look so horny. Sailors call it salty. Your a salty sailor when you're always that way. We call it hiker trash.:cool:

kevin
06-20-2006, 23:41
Another who may not qualify as a younger hiker, but I don't know if I'd enjoy a trip that isolated. I don't necessarily go for the social experience and almost always solo hike, but its nice to run into some other people occassionally.

Ridge
06-21-2006, 00:19
Well, I'm younger than Earl Shaffer was on his last thru hike. But I would like to go 2 weeks without seeing anyone. I don't think you can much more than 48 hours without seeing someone else on the trail. Refer to the "AT..It's really a small world" thread.

Just Jeff
06-21-2006, 02:50
Copy Skidsteer (#3) and hikerjohn (#5).

I usually go for solitude, but I'm game for some conversation most of the time. At little bit, anyway.

Alligator
06-21-2006, 08:53
Can we set this up in a few weeks:D ?

Skidsteer
06-21-2006, 09:02
Can we set this up in a few weeks:D ?

Uh, it might be easier to arrange in January I'm thinkin'. :D

Alligator
06-21-2006, 09:16
Uh, it might be easier to arrange in January I'm thinkin'. :DIt's my fantasy, and I want it in two weeks Mr. Roark. No hikers, but maybe a lovely, clean touron in distress...

Alligator
06-21-2006, 09:18
Make that two lovely clean tourons, that way they can talk to each other without bothering me...and they have to be very grateful when I rescue them...

max patch
06-21-2006, 09:29
A similar question was asked on TP several years ago.

There is a story in the Rodale AT book about a thru hiker who rarely saw another thru. There was anohter thru in the area, and this hiker wondered if he should change his pace so as to spend some some with the other hiker for the company. (Hard to believe!)

The discussion was if you would thru if you wouldn't see another hiker on your journey. 99% said they would not.

I don't think most hikers (I'm not commenting about the responses aready received) would go if they were alone for 2 weeks. As proof, the only thing I can offer is all of the requests for company on websites such as this one for people going out for trips as short as a weekend.

Not saying that for others solitude is neither good nor bad. I just think most really don't want the solitude for whatever reason.

hammock engineer
06-21-2006, 09:35
As one of the young'ns I'll chime in. I like hiking alone or with one other person. My job and school both have me dealing with people more than I want to.

Right now I am planning a late SOBO start. If I see someone, than I'll be happy to chat, if not I will be happy to hike alone. But than again, that could change over 6 months.

Just Jeff
06-21-2006, 11:04
max patch and hammock engineer said it well - I think most people aren't into solitude enough to spend two weeks alone. IMO, many people aren't comfortable enough with themselves, or don't like themselves enough, to spend that much time alone...so they think it's weird when others want to. I think hikers tend to be a more introspective group so solitude is more understood in a place like WB, but I've often had "normal" people ask why I would want to be alone like that.

So like HE, if I see someone out hiking I'm happy to talk for a while, but if not then I'm more than happy to be alone, too.

The Solemates
06-21-2006, 11:07
I like going with my wife, and she usually wants to go, so we go together and have a great time. Sometimes when she cannot go, I go by myself for a long weekend (4 days or so) in the Ozarks. I very rarely see anyone in the Ozarks, so I am almost always completely alone. And although I have never been 2 weeks by myself, I think I would enjoy it immensely. Thats one reason why I enjoy hiking the winter so much more than hiking in the summer with people, bugs, and heat.

Lone Wolf
06-21-2006, 11:18
A lot hikers these days form into big cliques. I see them in town all the time. 6-10 hikers all going to dinner together, doing laundry together, etc., etc. They have group meetings to decide how many miles they're gonna do. Weird s**t. Like a bunch of cows.

fivefour
06-21-2006, 11:20
i would definitely go for a 2 week hike alone ...

the goat
06-21-2006, 11:21
A lot hikers these days form into big cliques. I see them in town all the time. 6-10 hikers all going to dinner together, doing laundry together, etc., etc. They have group meetings to decide how many miles they're gonna do. Weird s**t. Like a bunch of cows.

not true, cows always do their laundry individually.:D

RadioFreq
06-21-2006, 12:30

You forgot MS bashin'. :eek:

Frolicking Dinosaurs
06-21-2006, 13:32
I like stretches of solitude interspersed with some socializing. I remember hiking years ago with lots of solitude and sometimes longing for a friendly voice after 4 or 5 days. I don't think I'm a candidate for the cliques LW describes - the male dino and I have enough trouble staying on the same page...

schda
06-21-2006, 14:46
Well, I"m not technically a hiker as I haven't set foot on a trail (first trip in August, a week along Lake Superior, putting together my kit now). But next April (around Boston Marathon) I"m planning a two week hike on the AT. Don't expect I'll be seeing anyone out there. So I guess my answer is yes.

blitz134
06-21-2006, 14:47
I think I am definately a young one, so I can weigh in here. I don't know how I would take two weeks of solitude, I've never come close to experiencing it. Society today is definately dominated by socialization, much moreso than years past. I think it would be strange at first but I might get used to it. I know that when I help lead trips put on by my school with 10-12 people I desperately want some peace and quiet at the end of the day, but at the same time I have lots of laughs with my good friends that help lead the trips also.

Two weeks I could probably go for that...an entire 5 months on the AT...I might lose my sanity...although I do talk to myself quite a bit

Skidsteer
06-21-2006, 18:11
You forgot MS bashin'. :eek:

You're absolutely right.

That explains the vague traces of unfulfilled ranting I've been feeling all day. :D

Skidsteer
06-21-2006, 18:16
Make that two lovely clean tourons, that way they can talk to each other without bothering me...and they have to be very grateful when I rescue them...

OK, a compromise 'Fantasy Island' style:

You may have one lovely, clean touron and......Tatu. If Tatu starts to cramp your style you can bear-bag the little sucker.

Wonder
06-21-2006, 20:30
What I love abput the trail, is that I'm alone all day....just me and my thoughts. Then, if I want to, I can stay at a shelter with other people.....or just camp where I want. I like the choice! BUt, yeah, I would LOVE to go 2 weeks with seeing no one other then me and my hiking partner

clicker
06-22-2006, 08:00
I would love to hike the trail for two weeks without seeing anyone. In the upper penninsula of michigan, I have pulled off hiking for as much as five days without running into any other hikers and I can tell you, it is bliss!

kyhipo
06-22-2006, 08:25
I have hiked without seeing people out west for awhile maybe not 2 wks but a week for sure.I dont mind hiking in a group but eventually I like to hike alone or with couple people at the most.ky

Footslogger
06-22-2006, 08:50
Truly enjoyed the many miles shared with others during my thru in 2003 but some of my best memories were made during the long stretches when I was alone.

Enjoy the solace. It's a rare and valuable commodity !!

'Slogger

longshank
06-22-2006, 10:51
I would go no matter what...whatever I happen to encouter on the way is just part of the experience. You can almost always expect to see others on the AT, though.

Fofer
06-22-2006, 12:01
As a younger (not newer) hiker I like to go and hike, If i meet people I meet people, but even when I went with my boy scout troop I kinda went ahead and just got away from the group to enjoy hiking, I'm almost the same way now, I go out with my fiance and my dog and go but I don't talk much durring the day, and I either hang back or get ahead. I like talking to people at night in camp more than on the trail. If you could set that up some how I'm all for that, but to answer you orriginal question yes I'd go for two weeks with out seeing anyone.

LostInSpace
06-22-2006, 20:55
I have hiked without seeing people out west for awhile maybe not 2 wks but a week for sure.I dont mind hiking in a group but eventually I like to hike alone or with couple people at the most.ky

I agree about out west. The most solitude I have gotten was 10 days in The Bob Marshall Wilderness. Other than my hiking partner, I only saw people the day I went in and the day I came out.

mtnbums2000
06-22-2006, 21:31
When I first started backpacking I was young. I've done a number of 2-3 week hikes on the A.T. and when I first started backpacking I wanted as much solitude as possible. So most of my vacation time was in December and January spent on the A.T. This was 10 years ago and I don't remember going more than a week w/out seeing another backpacker or day hiker. I do recall that all or most of my nights were spent alone. I have to admit that I enjoyed the solitude during the day but when I was hanging at the shelter it would have been nice to have had someone to talk to. I actually missed my wife and kids at night but on some nights I would of talked to anyone.

To answer your question YES I would love to hike for two weeks w/out seeing anyone else...but it's always nice to have a good conversation with a fellow hiker. And trust me it's easy to set at home dreaming about that 2 week hike all alone but when most get out their they want some kind of companionship even if it's minimal. But I do feel like 2 weeks is a perfect amount of time to be alone.

TIDE-HSV
06-22-2006, 21:37
have been a week or so in the Wind River Range's Popo Agie wilderness, where my wife and I are heading back to in August...