PDA

View Full Version : Spectra Guy Line Cord Which One?

Hana_Hanger
06-20-2006, 21:55
Hi,
I am confused as to which one of the spectra lines to get.
Any information will be appreciated, especially if you are using that kind of cord already.
Air Core 1
Air Core 2
Air Core Plus

I need it to lighten my weight for the tent for a upcoming hike.
So it would be used for all guy lines in windy and cold weather.
We will be using bear canisters since bear bagging is not legal there.
So only use I would think is for the guy lines of the rain fly and maybe a tarp.

Or since we may get snow...would Kelty TripTease be better, or the Hilleberg Tent spectra line?

Thanks so much,
gail

BDT
06-20-2006, 22:40
I use Gossamer Gear spectra. I think its size or 200 something.

Tinker
06-20-2006, 23:02
I'd go with the Air core 1 (I actually just bought some, which I haven't used yet). I've used the 2 for tents and tarps and it's way more than adequate. It makes relatively good bear bagging line because it's wider than the 1 and should be easier on tree bark (though, I suppose, Air Core 3 would be the best for this situation).

Hilleberg tent cord is polypropylene, and though it doesn't absorb much water and isn't affected as much by sunlight as nylon, it's much bulkier than a comparable strength of Spectra cord.

Kelty Triptease is a non-woven core of Spectra surrounded by a nylon sheath, which wicks water pretty well and dries slowly relative to pure Spectra cord, and is pretty useless for "stealth camping" ;). It's claim to fame, other than the reflective characteristic, is the fact that it holds most knots very well (pure Spectra doesn't hold some knots because it's so slippery). Well, that's all I know about this stuff.

Tinker
06-20-2006, 23:03
I'd go with the Air core 1 (I actually just bought some, which I haven't used yet). I've used the 2 for tents and tarps and it's way more than adequate. It makes relatively good bear bagging line because it's wider than the 1 and should be easier on tree bark (though, I suppose, Air Core 3 would be the best for this situation).

Hilleberg tent cord is polypropylene, and though it doesn't absorb much water and isn't affected as much by sunlight as nylon, it's much bulkier than a comparable strength of Spectra cord.

Kelty Triptease is a non-woven core of Spectra surrounded by a nylon sheath, which wicks water pretty well and dries slowly relative to pure Spectra cord, and is pretty useless for "stealth camping" ;). Its claim to fame, other than the reflective characteristic, is the fact that it holds most knots very well (pure Spectra doesn't hold some knots because it's so slippery). Well, that's all I know about this stuff.

Hana_Hanger
06-21-2006, 03:37
Thanks for the information BDT and Tinker
I was for sure going towards the spectra lines!

Just so you know though Hilleberg now makes 3 different kinds of lines.
One with braided spectra lined in polypropylene and one with braided spectra and polyester and one non-spectra guy line.

So many choices cause me confusion. I will check out Gossamer Gear as well Thanks again

hammock engineer
06-21-2006, 10:01
I'll throw out a thinks also. I was looking at triptease, but I do not like the high visablity of it.

I found the gossamer spectra, does anyone have a good link to air core line?

Alligator
06-21-2006, 10:27
Aircore
http://www.prolitegear.com/pl_bmw_aircore2_50.html

I have used the aircore I. I've used it for stuff sack drawcords. The one thing I dislike about it is that it is very thin, making it hard to tie. I wouldn't want to fiddle with it while wearing gloves. The picture in the above link is enlarged greatly.

There's another type of Spectra too. 'Slogger told me about it. I was in a hurry and ordered the Aircore I, as I needed to fix a couple of stuff sacks.

LostInSpace
06-21-2006, 14:37
I think you may be paying more than necessary to get Spectra when you by Aircore. I use this line:

E-Rigging.com (http://www.e-rigging.com/store_products.cfm?Subcat_ID=320&Cat_ID=50&Menu_Choice=Catalog) sells an arborist throw line (http://secure.cartsvr.net/catalogs/catalog.asp?prodid=2704540&showprevnext=1) that is 180 feet of 2.2-mm Spectra for $26.10. They also sell 180 feet in 1.75-mm diameter for $22.50.

For tensioners on the 2.2-mm line, I use these:

The “Clamcleat™ Line-Lok™ CL260” works with 2 – 5 mm (5/64 – 3/16”) line. They are certainly better than most of the line tensioners that you find in the outfitter stores. Supposedly the Line-Loks have been tested up to 200# tension. Clamcleat also makes cleats rigged on a rope for other line sizes. See http://www.clamcleat.com/uploads/cleat_information_pdfs/Line%2DLok%5FLeaflet.pdf.

MoonTrail (http://moontrail.com/tents/hilleberg_accessories.php) has the CL260 in stock at 10 for $5.00 plus $5.00 shipping for orders under $18.00. They are called "Hilleberg Linerunners" on this site.

Just Jeff
06-21-2006, 17:53
I've been using Air Core Plus of hammock supports - way too much for tarp lines. Haven't made up my mind yet about using it as hammock supports. (Then I just got the Crazy Creek from BGT and their support straps are great.)

I use the Air Core 2 for the ridgeline and planned on using it for tarp lines, but I figured it'll save about half an ounce over the JRB Tensioners (not including the weight of the tube since I'd use that anyway) so it's not worth the effort. I think AC2 would work great for tarps, though. I haven't tried the AC1.

I've been using Air Core 2 for the ridgeline, too...seems to work fine and I can pluck it like a guitar. Can even almost play a tune...'cept I can carry a car better than I can a tune.

Lanthar Mandragoran
06-22-2006, 13:56
LostinSpace,

Thanks for the links to the Spectra Cord sites. I've noted many other sites that sell pure spectra rope and cord much cheaper than UL Backpacking shops do... you've added another to my arsenal (btw those cordlocks are nice too...)

Hana_Hanger
06-22-2006, 15:27
Thanks again for all the info and the links.

Well I ended up spending more and ordered two different types.
Hey I figured hubby wont mind for goodness sakes its ROPE.
You know I have never seen a man yet that had enough wood, rope, nails, tools or duct tape!

One the spectra at the 200 strength and figured DSH could help out with the knots and such. I know I need to learn more knots. Hanging with the hammock and I have gotten so lazy with just lashings! :D

I also ordered the spectra that has a covering so it is easier to tie knots and will see which one I like the best.
Looking forward to using the one as a new ridge line for the tarp and LOL maybe pluck a tune or two as Just Jeff suggested.