PDA

View Full Version : Streamlines Tideland Fishing Gear

Hana_Hanger
06-20-2006, 22:06
HI Calling out for help from all the fishermen and fisherwomen here.

Going to be doing the JMT soon and there are so many places to fish.

Is this Streamlines Tideland Ultralight fishing gear any good or worth it?

http://backcountry-equipment.com/accessrs/a-misc/handline.html

Its so small and lightweight that when we are at our first lake, and I hear him regret not bringing any fishing poles....I would love to wipe this out of my pack and surprise him.

Is it worth it? It is not expensive but would I be better off trying to find a small lightweight fishing rod and reel for him?
Thanks so much,
gail

Skidsteer
06-20-2006, 22:14
Is this Streamlines Tideland Ultralight fishing gear any good or worth it?

http://backcountry-equipment.com/accessrs/a-misc/handline.html
Is it worth it? It is not expensive but would I be better off trying to find a small lightweight fishing rod and reel for him?
Thanks so much,
gail

You may want to discuss this with him ahead of time.

I watched boys using this system on the Pacific coast of Costa Rica and it was truly fascinating. Much more interesting than watching the surfers. But if you're not accustomed to it.... A light rod may be less frustrating, who knows?

zelph
06-20-2006, 22:35
Get yourself the smallest closed face spinning reel thats made and use it without a rod. Through the line out by hand, set the hook, reel in the fish:)

Set the drag light so the line does'nt break easily. Hold your finger on the hole when you get a strike so you can set the hook. Your finger against the line/hole will give you the ability to set the hook, keeps the line from peeling off.

Hope that's understandable:-?

zelph
06-20-2006, 22:39
Get yourself the smallest closed face spinning reel thats made and use it without a rod. Through the line out by hand, set the hook, reel in the fish:)

Set the drag light so the line does'nt break easily. Hold your finger on the hole when you get a strike so you can set the hook. Your finger against the line/hole will give you the ability to set the hook, keeps the line from peeling off.

That's suppose to be throw:banana

Hana_Hanger
06-20-2006, 22:50
You may want to discuss this with him ahead of time.

I watched boys using this system on the Pacific coast of Costa Rica and it was truly fascinating. Much more interesting than watching the surfers. But if you're not accustomed to it.... A light rod may be less frustrating, who knows?
Thank you
I was wondering about whether or not he would have to be handy learning a new style.
Here we throw nets but I don't think that would work on JMT :)

Skidsteer
06-20-2006, 22:51
Here's another alternative:

In my 'emergency kit' I carry a spare zippo with @ 20' of spiderwire wrapped around it with a small trout hook tied to the end of the line. When in the mood to fish, turn a few rocks over and get your bait. Toss it in and fish. My son and I have caught trout using this method every time we tried it.

These (http://whatsthatbug.com/hell.html) make excellent live bait

Hana_Hanger
06-20-2006, 22:51

Great idea...that might be easier for him to use, since he is use to rods and reels....Thank you :)

Hana_Hanger
06-20-2006, 22:53
Great ideas...I am off to check those things out
Not much time...he surprised me with agreeing to go
only now it moved up my date by a whole year...YIKES!!!