PDA

View Full Version : Arizona Hiker coming to Maine

AZTrish
06-21-2006, 00:04
Good evening everyone!

I'm new to your forum and would like some information regarding some of the trails in Baxter State Park since I'll be visiting the beautiful state of Maine in September of 2006.

Now...I'm basically a desert, mountain and canyon hiker here in Arizona so you know what that means. I've hiked the Grand Canyon, Mt Humphreys (elevation of 12,633), and most of the Superstition Mtns outside of Phoenix in 100 degree temps and for up to 15 miles a day. I'm used to hiking extremes in elevation and temps but have never hiked in Baxter. So I'm looking for information on a couple of trails....namely the Pogy Notch Trail, Howe Brook Trail, North Traveller, Center Ridge and South Branch Trail. :D Any shared knowledge would be appreciated. Any recommended books also. Thanks in advance!

Trish

The Solemates
06-21-2006, 11:21
Dont have any specific info on those trails, but in general expect cooler temperatures than you are used to (obviously). Although Humphreys in Sept may be similar to Baxter in Sept. Ive only been to Humphreys in March with snow on the ground, so I dont have a true comparison. We were in the Whites in Sept last year (and will be in Baxter over Labor Day this year...so maybe we'll see ya). Temps may range from the 50s to the 70s during the day, and have the potential to hover around freezing at night. We will be hiking Knife's Edge, and some other trails in the park...not sure which ones yet, but probably some kindo of loop.

The Solemates
06-21-2006, 11:22
by the way, my wife's name is Trish.

Peaks
06-21-2006, 17:14
If you are looking for information on trails in the Northeast other than the AT, then the better place to post your question is at Views from the Top.

TJ aka Teej
06-21-2006, 18:00
Welcome!
What Peaks said.
http://www.viewsfromthetop.com/index-vftt.html
September is a great time to hike in the Park's backcountry, enjoy your visit!
www.baxterstateparkauthority.com (http://www.baxterstateparkauthority.com)

AZTrish
06-22-2006, 22:36
Thanks for the warm welcome! I wasn't sure where to post my question but appreciate the links provided by Peaks as well as the replies from Solemates and TJ. I'll check out that link and hopefully it will provide me the info I am seeking.

It's been 8 years since this New England born 'n bred gal has been east of the Rockies so I'm expecting to see lots of green trees, cooler temps and SEAFOOD! It's 7:30 PM here and still over 100 degrees~~~

If any of you plan a trip to AZ, check out the forum I frequent for Arizona trails info:

http://www.hikearizona.com

Thanks again

Trish

K0OPG
06-23-2006, 18:30
AZTrish, but it's a dry heat!!! I lived in Yuma for almost 4 years. People used to say that to me all the time. I would tell them to turn their oven to 200 and then stick their heads in them and then say "but it's a dry heat"

How do you know someone is not from arizona? They have a black car with black interior. You know your from AZ when you think 2000 lbs of colored rock make a great landscape for your yard. You don't associate bridges with rivers (washes). I have more, but I'll stop for now. It's a AZ thing.

AZTrish
06-28-2006, 00:06
If you are looking for information on trails in the Northeast other than the AT, then the better place to post your question is at Views from the Top.

Thanks for this link Peaks but they won't accept you as a forum member unless you have an existing member as a sponsor.

:(