PDA

View Full Version : Rusty's Hard Time Hollow

Trail Yeti
06-21-2006, 10:12
Stayed there the other night....Rusty is a great guy. He said that he doesn't get as many hikers now as they all push on to Waynesboro. He really enjoys having hikers come and stay with him. He said that he is willing to take people to Waynesboro to pick up Mail Drops and then take them back ot the Hollow. He is not willing to just drop people off in Waynesboro or slackpack them there. So if you are hiking around, stop off and see Rusty.....its one of those trail stops that definately adds to the experience!:D

Singe03
06-21-2006, 11:12
I can't believe people are skipping Rustys, a very unique experience that should not be missed. Rusty is a character and some of his rules are "interesting" but being there and talking to him pretty extensively made me see the world a little differently.

Ramble~On
06-22-2006, 00:23
:sun Rusty's Hard Time Hollow is a MUST (imho)

Rusty is great....the experience was awesome and my memories bring a smile to my face .

I couldn't imagine a thru hike without stopping at Rusty's....
I don't know if he still does it or if he has any room left but can anybody tell me if he still takes a picture of everybody that stops through.

It was great to get to put a face to the people in registers that I never got to meet becuase they were weeks or months ahead.

The hot tub......sweatlodge and entire experience was wonderful.

minnesotasmith
06-22-2006, 00:34
My reasoning was that it basically sounded like a shelter that was 2.5 miles off the Trail. When there were shelters much closer (like often right ON the Trail), I just couldn't see the logic behind going there. (I had the impression that there was no internet, no phone, no reliably available shower akin to how a solar shower at Woods Hole was no shower, no laundry, no stores within walking distance, rides to town discouraged, not sure it there was a phone there, etc., etc.) It didn't sound as if I was likely to be getting free food or close personal attention from female hikers there, or any other unusual, ah, compensation for being off the Trail in a place where I couldn't get much of anything useful (WRT my hike) accomplished. I can see thruhikers every day when I am actually on the Trail (not to mention that I get miles logged toward Katahdin if I do what I am out here to do, which is hike on the AT.) Now, if Rusty had those services I listed above, and especially if he moved his location to either within 0.4 mile of the Trail (or to along some road that the Trail crosses and can be easily hitched to), it would seem more reasonable IMO to go to his place.

When I mentioned in a shelter register my puzzlement at how that place drew hikers as much as it did, one fellow male thruhiker got pretty irritated at me for questioning going there. He could only tell me as justification for such a detour off the Trail that Rusty is a really nice guy and has chickens. When I asked him repeatedly "And the reason (esp. WRT furthering my thruhike) that I should have gone there is?", all he could do was to repeat that Rusty was a nice guy and had chickens. I figure that there are lots of nice people in all the towns I see on my ATC maps, but I can't justify slowing down my thruhike to go see them. (I've seen and heard chickens before, and prefer owls, whipporwills, etc. over chickens.) I feel October 15 breathing down my neck probably more heavily than do most other thrus, I suspect.

I was recently told by a fellow thruhiker that Rusty had in fact previously heard of me and had hoped I would stop by his place. I suppose he wanted to see if my backpack was as gargantuan as its reputation. ;) I met a SOBO sectioner yesterday at Rod Hollow shelter who had A) heard of me already, and B) had been told that my pack weight exceeded 100 pounds. That was almost the impression that Mike Evans (proprieter of the pretty good Terrapin Hostel just north of Shenandoah) had. Trail stories do seem to often grow a bit in the telling.:D

Spiritual Pillgrim
07-02-2006, 12:28
When I asked him repeatedly "And the reason (esp. WRT furthering my thruhike) that I should have gone there is?"

:eek: You don't ask questions about why you should stop at Rusty's. You just go. For me there were few "have to visit" hostels, but Rusty's was at the top of the list.:sun

:welcome The fact that his heart and home are open for any hiker to visit and re-visit is reason enuff. If you miss Rusty's, you're missing a big part of what the trail is all about.:banana

Snow Stomp
07-02-2006, 13:01
He could only tell me as justification for such a detour off the Trail that Rusty is a really nice guy and has chickens. When I asked him repeatedly "And the reason (esp. WRT furthering my thruhike) that I should have gone there is?", all he could do was to repeat that Rusty was a nice guy and had chickens.

You fail to read between the lines. If you had gone there and were polite, Rusty would have chopped off one or two chickens' heads and treated you to the best fried chicken anywhere.

weary
07-02-2006, 15:44
:eek: You don't ask questions about why you should stop at Rusty's. You just go. For me there were few "have to visit" hostels, but Rusty's was at the top of the list.:sun

:welcome The fact that his heart and home are open for any hiker to visit and re-visit is reason enuff. If you miss Rusty's, you're missing a big part of what the trail is all about.:banana
That was the message I got on the trail in 1993, so I just went. It's the hostel for which I have the most fond memories. Quite frankly it was the only hostel that in retrospect I would have regretted missing, the only hostel that added something extra special to my long walk home.

Having said this, I'm also aware of why a small minority didn't like their stop there. Rusty doesn't appeal to all hikers -- just most hikers. I like to think his appeal is to those who can relax and appreciate the unexpected and the different.

the goat
07-02-2006, 17:00
That was the message I got on the trail in 1993, so I just went. It's the hostel for which I have the most fond memories. Quite frankly it was the only hostel that in retrospect I would have regretted missing, the only hostel that added something extra special to my long walk home.

Having said this, I'm also aware of why a small minority didn't like their stop there. Rusty doesn't appeal to all hikers -- just most hikers. I like to think his appeal is to those who can relax and appreciate the unexpected and the different.

well said, weary.

Cheesewhiz
07-03-2006, 14:40
If and when you hike the Trail you MUST stop at Rusty's. That is one of my favorite stops to date on the trail!!!

Billy1995
07-24-2006, 00:02
I thru-hiked a long time ago (1995) and, in reflecting on my many wonderful memories of the trail, hold the few days I spent at Rusty's as some of the best because they characterized for me much of what the trail is about. Although I had only a few zero days during my hike, I realized right when I started wandering down this guy's driveway that this place offered an experience that I was unlikely to get anywhere else. One writer below asked why he should hike out of his way to stay in a shelter with chickens. Well, my answer is simply that Rusty is a true character and passing by his place is missing out on an opportunity to broaden one's perspective on what the trail is and what makes thru-hiking more than a very long walk in the woods. The logic is admittedly difficult to explain, but I equate it to the difficulty in explaining why you are hiking a few thousand miles to someone who cannot relate. In short, 12,000 have been to Rusty's and I would guess that about 11,947 left better for the experience.
On a road trip recently I dropped in to see Rusty for the first time in eleven years. He's still Rusty, and that 2.5 mile trip to the Hollow is still one of the best parts of the trail. (BTW, he does offer rides back to the trail.) Thanks.

Phreak
07-24-2006, 00:49
Can anyone tell me where Rusty's is located? I'm thru-hiking next year and if his place is still around then, I'd love to stop in for a bit.

Thanks,
B~

kyhipo
07-24-2006, 08:19
right before you get into waynesboro hope i spelled it right.ky

RITBlake
07-24-2006, 08:50
I had the impression that there was no internet, no phone, no reliably available shower akin to how a solar shower at Woods Hole was no shower, no laundry, no stores within walking distance, rides to town discouraged, not sure it there was a phone there, etc., etc.) It didn't sound as if I was likely to be getting free food or close personal attention from female hikers there, or any other unusual, ah, compensation for being off the Trail in a place where I couldn't get much of anything useful (WRT my hike) accomplished. I can see thruhikers every day when I am actually on the Trail (not to mention that I get miles logged toward Katahdin if I do what I am out here to do, which is hike on the AT.) Now, if Rusty had those services I listed above, and especially if he moved his location to either within 0.4 mile of the Trail (or to along some road that the Trail crosses and can be easily hitched to), it would seem more reasonable IMO to go to his place.

You've missed the big picture of the thru hike experiencce, and I feel sorry for you. Rustys is by far one of the most unique and unusual stops on the trail. Oh no, NO INTERNET!!! WHAT EVER WILL WE DO!!!

icemanat95
07-24-2006, 09:19
When you got to Rusty's in 1995 made a big difference in your experience. I hit in the middle of a surge of hikers. There were 40+ people there that night plus dogs. Rusty spent most of the evening grumbling about "freeloaders"...with most of the offending people totally missing his meaningful scowls...getting increasingly drunk or high and generally raising Cain. !995 was the year that Rusty demanded that all references of the Hollow be removed from the Thru-hikers guides.

When I got there, the place was a mess. The bunkhouse was flea-infested (thanks to people violating the rules and bringing their dogs into the bunkhouse with them). There was nothing re****l about it either since "The Bus" was running full blast until about 4 am.

Myself and my hiking companions at the time got up early and were walking up the driveway at about 5 am after dropping our donations in the bucket. I'd love to visit again at a less intensive time...I reckon it would be a totally different experience.

Rusty's is an inholding in the National Forest, visible from the highway. It is a homestead with no electricity. It gets its water from a spring...which also provides refrigeration. The Spring House is really one of the highlights of the place. It is an insulated building where the spring flows out of the ground, through a pipe. There is a pump on the spring to pump water up to fill bottles and buckets. There is a spring pool there for the refrigeration of perishables and the cooling of sodas and such. Very cool.

The solar shower must be filled by bucket (or that was the case in 1995). That may have changed by now.

The hot tub is a wood fired unit down in the bottom of the hollow near the garden. There is an outhouse/privy for solid waste, there are designated pee areas for the liquids.

The driveway is generally littered with flattened aluminum cans as the result of hikers attempts to hit empties past a certain spot on the driveway in an effort to win a T-shirt or some such souvenir. There is quite a bit to do there, and it is easy to see why some hikers get sucked into the gravity well there. I just hit it at the wrong time altogether.

RITBlake
07-24-2006, 09:26
[quote=icemanat95]
Rusty's is an inholding in the National Forest, visible from the highway. It is a homestead with no electricity.quote]

Times have changed a bit Iceman, Rustys now has electricity. However the rest of your description is still true. The spring house is pretty neat, when I got there it was filled w/ hundreds of sodas.

veteran
07-24-2006, 10:06
Can anyone tell me where Rusty's is located? I'm thru-hiking next year and if his place is still around then, I'd love to stop in for a bit.

Thanks,
B~

Trail to Rusty’s Hard Time Hollow, At Maupin Field Shelter, turn left on fire road (just north of shelter), and walk 1.2 miles west to the Blue Ridge Parkway. Then turn left, south, and walk the parkway 1.3 miles to Rusty’s driveway on the left, at BRP mile 16.7. Gravel driveway has a gray, pipe gate with Rusty’s name and A.T. stickers on one end. Thru-hikers, cross-country cyclists, section-hikers, and weekend campers (no scouting groups) are welcome. The no-trespassing signs are mostly for the non-hikers, but hikers should heed the signs on the way down Rusty’s driveway.

mrc237
07-24-2006, 10:18
My experience with Rusty's. In 96' I had an enjoyable stay there someone cooked a dinner and Rusty made his pancakes in the AM. I helped with a project that was going on and generally had a pleasant visit. In 00' when I visited there were all sorts of ''new rules'' and a bunch of young hangerons doing all sorts of chores and it seemed to me spying on the ''guests'' I nicknamed this group the ''Rusty's Police'' I can't say that the visit wasn't enjoyable just a little uncomfortabe. I neither endorse nor discourage visits to Rusty's. Its none of my business where other hikers visit when off trail. Rusty's is Rusty's! BTW in 00' no dinner no b'fast still made generous donation.

Almost There
07-24-2006, 11:58
To add, Rusty's driveway/road is the only side road off of the parkway with a street light over it.

Mother's Finest
07-24-2006, 15:44
once again everyone......hiking is about doing your own thing....it is about living your own life and making your own decisions.....to say that MS Smith has missed the whole point of the hiking experience because of missing the hollow is just ludicrous.

the hollow may be a really cool place, and an awesome time had there by all, but what about HYOH?

smith is out there and is no worse or better for making his own decision to keep on truckin

peace
mf

Uncle Silly
07-24-2006, 16:35
I loved my stay at Rusty's last year. The Hollow has a real sense of history to it, and I could've spent days there looking at all the hiker pictures posted on various walls, ceilings, and outhouse doors.

"And the reason (esp. WRT furthering my thruhike) that I should have gone there is?"

For the experience? For the inspiration you get from seeing pictures of 20 years (or more) of thru-hikers? Is furthering your thruhike the only reason you get out of bed in the morning? Do you come to a blueblaze trail and say, "oo is there an overlook" or do you pass it by saying "it won't further my thruhike"?

How do you know that the experience that makes your entire thruhike is on the trail, and not just a few miles off it?

Sly
07-24-2006, 16:43
Rusty's was well worth the visit and I believe every 1st time thru-hiker should atleast check it out to see if they agree.

What's another 5 miles of easy walking on a 2200 mile/6 month journey? Another day is hardly going to make a difference and can easily be made up. Waynesboro isn't going anywhere.

RITBlake
07-24-2006, 17:08
For the experience? For the inspiration you get from seeing pictures of 20 years (or more) of thru-hikers? Is furthering your thruhike the only reason you get out of bed in the morning? Do you come to a blueblaze trail and say, "oo is there an overlook" or do you pass it by saying "it won't further my thruhike"?

How do you know that the experience that makes your entire thruhike is on the trail, and not just a few miles off it?

My point exactly. I do believe in HYOH but IMO a thru hike is about the experience, not the miles. Later in life you arn't going to look back and think about the mileage you did, you're going to think about the people you met, the places you saw, the things you encountered.

Time To Fly 97
07-25-2006, 16:16
I remember alternating between the wood fed hot tub and the cold spring tub. Such a blast being there. Rusty is eccentric, but one of the very good souls you will be blessed with meeting on the AT.

I have a classic picture of me getting a mohawk from Rusty. He had to fire up a generator for the electric razor.

I consider Rusty's a no miss part of the AT experience. I stopped in Waynesboro too.

TTF

futs
06-25-2007, 16:01
ok so i just spent about 4 or 5 days at Rusty's it was friggen the **** dudes mad cool the place was so sweet i dident want to get back on the trail ....buuuut the pore guys is in a depretions about the very VERY big lack of hikers coming in to stop by ... by the looks of the pic's he takes of every hiker thats stops buy it looked like about 1/4th of the ppl have stoped in compared to past yrs... so please every one put the word out to ppl about this realy sweet place and help it stay going .... thx

Lone Wolf
06-25-2007, 16:03
obviously waynesboro serves hikers needs better

Jack Tarlin
06-25-2007, 16:06
Direct observation and discussions with dozens of 2007 hikers this week in Waynesboro would indicate that Wolf's contention is correct.

Waynesboro appears to be a far more popular spot to take time off.

Lilred
06-25-2007, 16:55
Wingnuts thruhikers handbook says that Rusty's is closed and to not stop there. I thought it was closed until I ran into a hiker that talked to Rusty at trail days. I'm betting that's reason for the lack of hikers at his place.

Jack Tarlin
06-25-2007, 20:32
Um....his name is "Wingfoot" Lilred, and the most recent (i.e. 2007) edition of his book says absolutely nothing of the kind.

Wingfoot's latest Handbook (Pp. 115-16) makes it very clear that Rusty's is open, and his comments about the place are actually quite positive.....he does NOT say the place is closed nor does he advise not staying there.

This conversation is not advanced or improved by people saying things that are patently false. People need to check their facts before posting. Plenty of folks have stayed at Rusty's this year (and are probably there even as I write this); to blame Dan "Wingfoot" Bruce for an alleged decrease in visitors there is both unfair and untrue.

Lilred
06-25-2007, 21:28
Um....his name is "Wingfoot" Lilred, and the most recent (i.e. 2007) edition of his book says absolutely nothing of the kind.

Wingfoot's latest Handbook (Pp. 115-16) makes it very clear that Rusty's is open, and his comments about the place are actually quite positive.....he does NOT say the place is closed nor does he advise not staying there.

This conversation is not advanced or improved by people saying things that are patently false. People need to check their facts before posting. Plenty of folks have stayed at Rusty's this year (and are probably there even as I write this); to blame Dan "Wingfoot" Bruce for an alleged decrease in visitors there is both unfair and untrue.

Sorry Jack, I stand corrected. I have the 2005 version and it does say that. On page 116 it says,

"Rusty's Hard Time Hollow is no longer available as a hostel for A.T. thru-hikers. Rusty has retired from offering services, and the Hollow property is now a private residence. Please respect the privacy of the new owner."

I forgot I had the 2005 version. I don't know what the 2006 version says. Does anyone have that version? If it says the same, two years running, that most certainly could put a damper on business.

minnesotasmith
06-26-2007, 09:39
My point exactly. I do believe in HYOH but IMO a thru hike is about the experience, not the miles. Later in life you arn't going to look back and think about the mileage you did, you're going to think about the people you met, the places you saw, the things you encountered.

You're also going to think about the issue that is in my experience on average the second question people ask you post-thruhike attempt:

"Did you finish?"

For anyone who wants to actually complete a thruhike attempt, there are innumerable potential diversions to be found along the way to make that achievement less likely to be attained. During my (successful) thruhike attempt last year, I made the judgement that going to Rusty's would reduce the probability that I would finish my thruhike. That is, that going there was a vote in favor of not completing. As I summitted Katahdin Oct. 14th, having had to push hard all the way across Maine to manage that, it looks as if my judgement was correct...

Jack Tarlin
06-26-2007, 09:50
Query to Smith:

Why would a brief lay-over at Rusty's "reduce the probability" of your finishing anymore than a lay-over anywhere else......such as Damascus,
Pearisburg, etc.?

A lay-over or a rest stop is just that; what difference does it make where you take it?

I'm delighted you finished your trip, Smitty, and I was happy, in a very small way, to help you along the way, but you finished on 14 October for any number of reasons:

1. Your chosen pace and hiking speed
2. Recurrent injuries/health issues
3. Gear issues
4. Refusal to dramatically decrease your pack weight

I can't really think that your spending a night or two at Rusty's.....or anywhere else......would have made much difference in your finish date: The date you finished was due to all sorts of reasons, and unless someone elects to stay at a place for an extended period of time (like a week or two!) I really don't think that taking the extra day or two off somewhere is a "threat" to anyone's chances of completing a thru-hike. A hiker that takes unplanned or extra time offf somewhere can always make the time /mileage up somewhere else.

People should rest or take time off whenever they feel the need to do so, and unless they really go overboard on this, it isn't likely to prevent one from finishing their trip.

Lone Wolf
06-26-2007, 10:16
Query to Smith:

Why would a brief lay-over at Rusty's "reduce the probability" of your finishing anymore than a lay-over anywhere else......such as Damascus,
Pearisburg, etc.?

A lay-over or a rest stop is just that; what difference does it make where you take it?

jack, you've admitted that you've never been to rusty's. i have and can verify that he's been vocal in the past about telling young, impressionable hikers that thru-hiking is stupid. hanging out is better. lots of them spend a week or more or end their hike there. the place has a bad vibe

Jack Tarlin
06-26-2007, 10:26
Wolf:

When have I ever admitted I've never been there?

Please show me the quote.

I have indeed been there, tho it was over ten years ago.

I haven't been back, for any number of reasons (mainly I prefer to spend my time off in Waynesboro) but I certainly have been there.

And please re-read my post.....I made it very clear that there's a difference between taking a day or two off, and taking EXTENDED time off. Obviously,
folks that take a week or two off.....at Rusty's or anywhere else.....may have to alter their trip schedule as a result.

What I said (and you even quoted me) is that a BRIEF stay there is not likely to affect anyone's schedule or reduce their chance of completing their trip.

A lengthy or extended stay is, of course, another matter.

Skyline
06-26-2007, 11:26
There is truth in many of the recent posts above.

Rusty was ambivalent about his hostel earlier this decade, but has been pretty consistent the past two years-plus about being open and welcoming to hikers of all types.

In the recent past there have been modern-world improvements to the Hollow--namely electricity and phone service. It is still a unique stop near the AT that many enjoy.

Others pass it by in favor of the Dutch Haus in Montebello, Waynesboro, or both, or neither. The Dutch Haus or Waynesboro options have more to offer perhaps, if you're looking for town stuff instead of mountain stuff, but they don't have one thing—Rusty. Getting to know Rusty has been one of the best experiences of my 15-year association with the AT community. I know he can have a short fuse at times but he's worth getting to know. The Hollow is worth spending a day or two or even longer at, just kicking back. I try to stop by any time I'm down that way.

Time To Fly 97
06-26-2007, 14:51
jack, you've admitted that you've never been to rusty's. i have and can verify that he's been vocal in the past about telling young, impressionable hikers that thru-hiking is stupid. hanging out is better. lots of them spend a week or more or end their hike there. the place has a bad vibe

I hope that isn't the case LW. 10 years ago, Rusty was an awesome host and staying at his place was just a fantastic trail experience for me. I highly recommend stopping there to current thru-hikers.

Happy hiking!

TTF

katagious
06-26-2007, 18:44
I don't know....first hand but...my boys (nuckin and futs) had a great time. They enjoyed chatting it up with Rusty and were reminded of "Craig and Em" the couply who encouraged them to experience the great outdoors and who also live a simple life "off grid". They don't seem at all discouraged or ready to quit their long walk home and I doubt that they would hang around long if they were being subjected to any lengthy amount of negativity. *shrug*

katagious
06-26-2007, 18:46
Gah..I could use an edit button....couply=couple...

Skidsteer
06-26-2007, 18:49
Gah..I could use an edit button....couply=couple...

Hit the easy button (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/payments.php). :)

minnesotasmith
06-27-2007, 14:43
Every day during my thruhike, I was faced with decisions to make that made more, or less, likely that I would finish my thruhike. Most of the time, no single decision made wrongly would have killed my chances. However, cumulatively, they added up like drops of water in a flood, individual grass stems in a hay bale, etc. Everyone here remembers the fable about the straw that broke the camel's back. Eventually, they added up to making, or not making, all 2174.6 miles in a calendar year.

I judged that going by Rusty's was a decision in favor of not finishing. I made it (finished my thru).

(A shelter 'way off the Trail, or one right on the Trail. Which one will let me do more miles the next day? Hmmm...)

Most people last year setting out to do a thru did not complete (the majority of whom were both younger and fitter than I was at the time), so I figure I had something on the ball that the average would-be thruhiker last year ultimately did not.

I do wonder what the completion rate of would-be thrus who stop at Rusty's end up being. Anyone have an idea?

Marta
06-27-2007, 15:56
I do wonder what the completion rate of would-be thrus who stop at Rusty's end up being. Anyone have an idea?

I don't have any statistics on the above, but I do know that when I stopped at Rusty's last fall, I was the only one there--no NOBOs hanging around, having quit their hikes. :D In fact, when I was talking with Rusty, he lamented that hikers all seemed to be on a mission these days and would hardly ever hang around for long.

BTW, I absolutely agree with your opening paragraph about the cascade effect of decisions leading one to either continue, or not. Very well phrased.

Marta/Five-Leaf

MarcnNJ
06-27-2007, 21:53
But I had to chime in.....From what I remember, MS started on Valentines Day and finished over 9 months later.....Getting to Katahdin with 1 day to spare, hence not leaving a window just in case the mountain was closed for a couple days.....Having met MS and spent some time with him during his hike, I will say that his persistence was admirable. But I consider it luck that he was able to summit Katahdin and then finish his hike southbound.

So if his position is that stopping at Rusty's decreases your chances of completing your hike.....What does being out of shape, carrying a ridiulous pack, with ridiculous amounts of water and toilet paper, and hiking real slow the whole time your out there for 9 months do for your chances of finishing?? I think he was one of the few people I met whose pace never seemed to increase.

He finished mostly because of luck with the weather, and also his persistence....

People can take off a few days at Rusty's, Merlefest, in the woods, NYC, going home for a wedding or because of sickness.....It still comes down to being able to make up the miles in time to get to Katahdin on Oct. 15. If that fails, then you can flip flop....But I would venture to say that most flip-floppers arent summiting Katahdin on October 14th....

Yahtzee
06-27-2007, 22:03
Since when is Rusty competing with Waynesboro? Either way, I stop at 'em both. Enjoy both of 'em. Like Rusty's better. Sitting on the back porch lookin' down on the hollow early early in the morning is worth the brief walk. I've stayed 8 days, I've stayed 2. Next time I pass thru, I'll stop by again. Closed or not.

Rusty has always been more than alright by me. He's the last one awake at the party and first one awake in the morning. That's good livin' to me.

minnesotasmith
06-28-2007, 23:04
1) I carried the volume of water I did in large part BC that (in NY/NJ/PA) was how much I needed between water sources. When 3 liters was gone in well under 2 hours, it was obviously not enough water; hence, why on days hitting 107 degrees, I'd carry more than that. In Maine and NH, I never carried over 3 L, and that was tops.

2) Actually, my full-pack pace did go up over the course of my thruhike. I was mostly around 7 miles/day on good days my first 2 weeks on the AT, and was often doing 13s fullpack by late in VA. One of my 3 days over 18 miles was with full pack just south of Kincora Hostel.

fiddlehead
06-29-2007, 01:43
1) I carried the volume of water I did in large part BC that (in NY/NJ/PA) was how much I needed between water sources. When 3 liters was gone in well under 2 hours, it was obviously not enough water; hence, why on days hitting 107 degrees, I'd carry more than that. In Maine and NH, I never carried over 3 L, and that was tops.

can i recommend the art of "Camelling up!" I learned this from a friend who desert hikes all the time. If you chug 2 or 3 litres of water, you won't be thirsty for a long time. This enables me to not even carry water on the AT except for a few spots. Once, when leaving scissors crossing on the PCT (start of a 28 mile dry section) i drank 5 litres (in 4 hours) and then headed out with only 3 litres and came into the next spring (i believe Barrel springs) drinking the last swig of my water.
It's a great idea and not hard to do and saves you from carrying lots of extra water weight.

minnesotasmith
06-29-2007, 02:36
I carried up to 5 liters of water in NY after cameling up to the tune of typically 2 liters beyond what I naturally drank with breakfast. (Part of why I got started late many mornings.) As I said, it got up to 107 degrees for days during part of my time in PA/NJ/NY. I also got Lyme Disease in NJ (with all my clothing worn while hiking, including double gaiters), an experience I recommend to no one.

Negligible natural water availability in much of NY did not help a bit. I don't think the AT should run anywhere near the coast as much as it does in NY; if the AT were pulled scores of miles NW, back into the hills, it would be cooler and there'd be more water. Ideally, of course, the AT would head NW from the Shenandoah to Winchester, routed towards the Adirondacks in N NY (passing only thru W. PA), then veering East towards N. VT and N. NH, desirably keeping the AT much more above 3000' as it is further South. Talk about pipe dreams, but wouldn't it be nice...

P.S. next time anyone reading this is at the ATC office in Harper's Ferry, take a look at the diorama, and you'll see how the AT between VA and VT has been yanked East out of the mountains where I would rather see it run.

fiddlehead
06-29-2007, 02:48
Yeah, heat is tough to deal with. We often had high temps too but that's when we would sit around and drink the water. When we hiked in the hot parts of the trail, we rarely walked between noon and 4 pm, the hottest part of the day. We preferred to sit around and eat and smoke and drink (a lot) during those hours and then head out around 4 and go till dark, get up early and walk until 11 or 12.
Anyway, it worked for us, we never had to carry too much water, never complained about the heat, and really didn't complain about much of anything.
(maybe it was the smoke?) ha ha.
have fun out there.

katagious
06-29-2007, 07:48
1)

2) Actually, my full-pack pace did go up over the course of my thruhike. I was mostly around 7 miles/day on good days my first 2 weeks on the AT, and was often doing 13s fullpack by late in VA. One of my 3 days over 18 miles was with full pack just south of Kincora Hostel.

I'm not a hiker, except for short day hikes in Maine, so I should probably just stay out of this conversation. BUT! ;) My youngest nuckin...or Ben as we call him here, aggravated an old knee injury. Ideally, he would have cut back to 14 mile days beforehand and saved himself from the possibility of greater damage BUT..holing up at Rusty's gave his knee an opportunity to heal. I was very grateful for that!

MinnistotaSmith-
It really amazes me how you plodded on, I'm really not sure I have the mental stamina to do the same. On the other hand....when my sons call me telling me they hiked a 30 and then later...in that slightly embarrasing way sons reply to their mother..inform me that they slept til noon (can you imagine?!) and then hiked til 10, it's pretty amazing to me. Even more amazing is the mutliple 30's they've done since that day.
Keeping that in mind..really, they hike almost 3 days to your one...I don't see the threat to a few days off at a place they absolutly had an incredible time at.

To me...and for them, that's what this trip is about..experiences that they'd never obtain otherwise. I find it frustrating to see someone discourage that.

Skyline
06-29-2007, 08:25
Yeah, heat is tough to deal with. We often had high temps too but that's when we would sit around and drink the water. When we hiked in the hot parts of the trail, we rarely walked between noon and 4 pm, the hottest part of the day. We preferred to sit around and eat and smoke and drink (a lot) during those hours and then head out around 4 and go till dark, get up early and walk until 11 or 12.
Anyway, it worked for us, we never had to carry too much water, never complained about the heat, and really didn't complain about much of anything.
(maybe it was the smoke?) ha ha.
have fun out there.

In '98, a bunch of us hiking together called this "Ten before ten, five after five..."

We would get up at 3:30 or 4am, hike until it started getting really hot (about 10am), and then hang out wherever it made most sense (viewpoint, water source). We'd eat twice, try to grab some sleep, then pack up and move on starting at 5 or 6pm--hiking until dark or later. We'd set up a camp of sorts under headlamp light.

Really weird for those of us who are not normally morning people but it was the best way to avoid the worst heat. For about two weeks, we had temps approaching 100 F with high humidity and hardly ever any rain.

futs
06-29-2007, 13:46
thank you mother :)
ya if not stoping some were couse you think it's going to stop you from making it in time then you have a problem you not staying there for the summer it's a few days.... and if you cant take time to stop and enjoy the all the cool things on the trail you should get off and just go walk around your town for a few months couse thats y we have the trail to enjoy all the things we cant see at home.

Lone Wolf
07-11-2007, 12:12
Wingnuts thruhikers handbook says that Rusty's is closed and to not stop there. I thought it was closed until I ran into a hiker that talked to Rusty at trail days. I'm betting that's reason for the lack of hikers at his place.

Just saw a post on Trailplace. Rusty wanted Wingfoot to inform hikers he is closed after 25 years of taking in hikers. This is about the 4th time he's "closed".

Nean
07-11-2007, 14:35
Just saw a post on Trailplace. Rusty wanted Wingfoot to inform hikers he is closed after 25 years of taking in hikers. This is about the 4th time he's "closed".

And thats in just the last 4 years:rolleyes: We will continue to hear this song (and others designed for the same purpose:-? ) until there is no more Rusty.

Lone Wolf
10-10-2007, 11:18

talked to some SOBOs here in town. they say rusty's is "open" and charging a minimum of $20. they were unimpressed and said the place is run down

rafe
10-10-2007, 11:22
The signs to Rusty's are still on the trail. If he really closed he'd remove the signs, no?

sherrill
10-10-2007, 11:47
Now Rusty is open and Wingfoot is closed. I'm so confused.. :D

Skyline
10-10-2007, 11:53
Yep, Rusty's is open and yep, he's started charging a fee because too many hikers were using the facilities and not leaving a dime.

Whether it's "run down" or not is in the eye of the beholder. Some think its rustic nature is its charm, others will see it as worse than an abandoned trailer park.

Appalachian Tater
10-10-2007, 12:00
The signs to Rusty's are still on the trail. If he really closed he'd remove the signs, no?

Most of the time when businesses close, they leave the signs up, they don't have the money to take them down. Of course, he lives there and probably wouldn't want people dropping in thinking he was open if he weren't. When I went through there, the signs were so dilapidated that I would have assumed the business was long gone had he not been in the guidebook. Didn't go anyway.

There are also "ghosts" of painted signs on the sides of buildings that are pretty cool. Here's a good one:

http://bp2.blogger.com/_dqXIF9MH3lk/Ru3NPL67vMI/AAAAAAAAAk0/9qC6E_pVXis/s1600-h/IMG_2939.JPG

Notice the modern graffiti at the top of the wall. Nice contrast.

Low Rider
12-23-2007, 19:16
Hey everyone! I just talked to Rusty last week and he is definitely open for the 2008 season and thereafter. I thruhiked back in ‘93 and have been friends with him ever since. I try to visit as often as I can but that usually winds up being just a couple times a year.

He first started taking in hikers back in 1982 and has had over 10,000 stop in during their hikes since then. He is one of the, if not the, oldest hostel on the AT still operating. He is in his late 60’s now and it is getting harder for him each year to get all the chores done around the place (if you can pitch in while you are there, it is definitely appreciated!). There have been changes over the years including getting electricity and a telephone, but it is still the same old Hard Time Hollow that you remember (believe me, it is good that he has those things now that he is getting older).

He is a one of a kind and the Hollow is truly a unique place not to be missed. Waynesboro is pretty much like any other big trail town if you need to stop there too (I went to both). And yes, he still takes a Polaroid of each thruhiker that stops in. He still has the photos from all the previous years up on the ceiling or in photo albums, so check ‘em out when you stop by. His driveway comes down off the Blue Ridge Parkway in between mileposts 16 and 17 (mile post 16.7 if it existed :)) Enjoy reading the dozens of funny signs posted on trees while walking down the driveway! happy hiking!!!!

OregonHiker
12-23-2007, 23:41
Sorry Jack, I stand corrected. I have the 2005 version and it does say that. On page 116 it says,

"Rusty's Hard Time Hollow is no longer available as a hostel for A.T. thru-hikers. Rusty has retired from offering services, and the Hollow property is now a private residence. Please respect the privacy of the new owner."

I forgot I had the 2005 version. I don't know what the 2006 version says. Does anyone have that version? If it says the same, two years running, that most certainly could put a damper on business.

Hmmmm...No Jack...No apology?:-?