PDA

View Full Version : My Trail Name

SGT Rock
03-12-2003, 21:38
I posted this over on my site but there is a lot more traffic here and I figure that there are some friends here that don't go to my personal site. Here is the issue:

SGT is the abbriviation for sergeant. Back in the day when I got that or took it as a trail name, I was only a staff sergeant (E6), that was about 6 or 7 years ago. In the Army, Sergeant is the Term of address for E5-E7 (Sergeant through Sergeant First Class). To call me SGT rock up until last year was still correct, athough I was really a SFC, but I digress...

Anyway, last year I made the E8 list and was frocked to 1SG. In the Army, Air Force, and Marines, an E8 is a First Sergeant (1SG), but the nickname is "Top" becaue a First Sergeant is the "Top Sergeant" in the company. Veterans know what I mean, and some of you may have seen it in the movies.

Last year Trail Yeti and someone else I can't remember said I should change my trail name to Top Rock since I'm now a 1SG, and lots of the e-mails and some posts even reffer to me as Top. I'm of the opinon you should get your trail name from the hiker friends you hike with. Since I don't get to hike with y'all (I'm almost always solo) and I'm about to be off the trail (or any trail) for a long time, I figured if you guys thought it was cool I would go with it.

I have a poll on my site at: HikingHQ.net (http://hikinghq.net/forum/showthread.php?postid=2315#post2315)

Sleepy the Arab
03-13-2003, 00:05
Top Rock? Sounds way to close to Cop Rock. What mind thought up that tv monstrosity?

...singing, dancing cops....the horror....
:banana :banana :banana

rumbler
03-13-2003, 10:17
It's all you.

Personally I think of you as Database, but that's just because so much of my equipment is based on your research. From now on it'll be Top Rock, or the man formerly known as SGT provided Prince hasn't copyrighted that whole angle.

Footnotes
03-13-2003, 13:43
Sgt Rock, congrats on the promotion. I like Top Rock and hope someday that we can rename you Capt. Rock. For the time being Top Rock it is. Good luck to you while you are "off trail". We will be praying for your safe return.

Moose2001
03-13-2003, 14:39
Hey Top... I think it's a great Trailname. Having someone call you Top, is in my book, a real sign of respect. Something you've earned and should cherish. Using it as a trail name is a great idea. If you're on your way to the sandbox.. good luck to both you and your family. We'll be praying for you and keeping you in our thoughts.

Moose (retired USAF E-8)

Aubrey
03-13-2003, 23:44
Outstanding trail name, all things considered. It has meaning and it sounds really good:

"Hey Toprock, got any garlic?"

Yup. Go for it.