veteran
06-22-2006, 10:42
http://www.trailposts.com/

neighbor dave
06-22-2006, 16:56
:-? why bring sand to the beach?????:confused:

Ender
06-22-2006, 17:10
That map is pretty cool. I like that it shows every shelter along the trail... it'll be very cool once pictures for all that is added. Kinda slick system.

blindeye
06-22-2006, 21:31
i have never gotten one ounce of bad info from anyone on whiteblaze. so i figure why switch horses in midstream?

Rain Man
06-23-2006, 02:46
That map is pretty cool. I like that it shows every shelter along the trail... it'll be very cool once pictures for all that is added. Kinda slick system.

Huh?

Rain:sunMan

Frolicking Dinosaurs
06-23-2006, 07:04
TrailPosts.com is a product of the MapHub Research Project at the STUDIO for Creative Inquiry at Carnegie Mellon University....

{the bio of the only user}Greg Baltus (also known as 'Master Plan') is a part-time researcher on the maphub.org project. He is beginning an Appalachian Trail thru hike in April of 2006. Greg will be using trailposts.com to both document his journey and share his experiences with his friends and family back in Pittsburgh, PA.This new site is a student project that is planned to be an on-going endeavor as a class lab at Carnegie Mellon University. It is more like TrailJournals - a place for people to share their personal journal of hiking the AT - in conjuction with the MapHub software.

This new site isn't attempting to convey information about backpacking as WB does nor is it trying to sell a particular line of products. This site isn't like the practicalbackpacking site that has burned so many here recently - it is a project for students to learn how to use both web software and mapping software (and I'm betting side server databases as well).

max patch
06-23-2006, 11:17
[COLOR=Black]This site isn't like the practicalbackpacking site that has burned so many here recently

OK we get it; you don;t like PB -- but how has it "burned so many here"?

Ender
06-23-2006, 11:49
Huh?

There's a checkbox on the upper right hand corner of the map in the Layers area that says Shelter, and if you click it, all the shelters (and apparently some campsites?) pop up on the map. If you click on any one of them, a little info box pops up, with a place for a photo. I guess no photos have been loaded in yet though.

Once you click the checkbox, it does take a little while to load though.

Is that what you meant by "huh"? Or was it something else?

Rain Man
06-23-2006, 12:10
There's a checkbox on the upper right hand corner of the map in the Layers area that says Shelter, and if you click it, all the shelters (and apparently some campsites?) pop up on the map. If you click on any one of them, a little info box pops up, with a place for a photo. I guess no photos have been loaded in yet though.

Once you click the checkbox, it does take a little while to load though.

Is that what you meant by "huh"? Or was it something else?

I don't see any such thing. Nor do I know what a "Layers area" is.

attroll
06-23-2006, 12:18
I don't see any such thing. Nor do I know what a "Layers area" is.

You have to register to get to that area.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
06-23-2006, 12:44
OK we get it; you don;t like PB -- but how has it "burned so many here"?http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=14363
People like ATtroll have had their posts removed though they violated no site policy - and without being given any reason or notification. Skidsteer's ability to log in has been disabled - also without reason, warning or notification. Dozens have had their knuckles rapped by the Draconian owner insist every tiny detail in posts be done to his liking. Practicebackpacking has been discussed in less than favorable terms by the majority of participants on practically every backpacking site I visit.

max patch
06-23-2006, 13:07
[QUOTE=Frolicking DinosaursPeople like ATtroll have had their posts removed though they violated no site policy - and without being given any reason or notification.[/QUOTE]

Oh, kinda like what happened on this site late last night/very early this morning?

BJ wrote a classic rant -- he missed the point but thats not important to the discussion -- that only a few were able to read.

attroll
06-23-2006, 13:13
Oh, kinda like what happened on this site late last night/very early this morning?

BJ wrote a classic rant -- he missed the point but thats not important to the discussion -- that only a few were able to read.

The difference is I will provide you with answers as to why I delete messages if I do. Yes I deleted some messages last night in the Billville thread. I felt that is was needed before the thread turned into a slamming contest as some people usually do when certain people start posting in the thread. I am no pointing figures and do not want this thread to start pointing fingers and that is all I am going to say on it. I also deleted the other messages in the thread that related to the one I deleted.

The thread was suppose to be about the Billville hiker feed and I wanted it to stay somewhat on track.

Alligator
06-23-2006, 13:18

BJ wrote a classic rant -- he missed the point but thats not important to the discussion -- that only a few were able to read.Darn, I was up late too.

So do you think the level of removal is extremely equivalent, somewhat equivalent, somewhat disproportionate, or extremely disproportionate?

Is BJ a member there? You have to wonder how many of his posts would get removed there? [I'm not picking on you here BJ. The same goes for me.]

Frolicking Dinosaurs
06-23-2006, 13:19
I saw the rant and could easily understand why any WB moderator would have removed it. Max - BJ's post violated WB's TOS (http://whiteblaze.net/index.php?page=agreement). The posts and poster(s) removed by the other site didn't violate that site's TOS - apples and oranges.

Amigi'sLastStand
06-23-2006, 13:27
OK we get it; you don;t like PB -- but how has it "burned so many here"?
It deleted some of my innocent posts. ..|., to them, if ya get me.

I prefer it right here at home. Troll and Sgt and Mrs Rock do a great job:sun , so why bother with another copycat like PB. As for the new site, it looks like a student project. Amount of time to spend fishing around to learn/find anything vs. the probability of actually finding anything means I will stay right here.:cool:

max patch
06-23-2006, 17:22
So do you think the level of removal is extremely equivalent, somewhat equivalent, somewhat disproportionate, or extremely disproportionate?

Gator, I don't belong to PB so I can't answer your question. I have no idea.

Alligator
06-23-2006, 17:26
Gator, I don't belong to PB so I can't answer your question. I have no idea.OK. X Does not apply.

max patch
06-23-2006, 17:27
I saw the rant and could easily understand why any WB moderator would have removed it. Max - BJ's post violated WB's TOS (http://whiteblaze.net/index.php?page=agreement). The posts and poster(s) removed by the other site didn't violate that site's TOS - apples and oranges.

I read the TOS - thanks for the link - but I don't see where BJ's post was in violation. If you want to make the argument that it wasn't exactly "respectful" to WD, well, thats true but then there are a LOT of other
posts that are just as bad or worse that should also have been zapped.

Skidsteer
06-23-2006, 18:27
Originally Posted by max patch

Darn, I was up late too.

You missed a humdinger, Dude. :D It really wasn't a pure rant. It was kinda half rant/half flame(think inferno) and very er..vigorous. Jack was in top form.

I can see Attroll's logic in removing it. That thread would likely have grown to 5-6 pages long by this evening and very little of it would've had anything to do with the Billville hiker feed.