PDA

View Full Version : Yogi's Handbook

Max
06-22-2006, 13:33
Does anyone have any thoughts on Yogi's handbook?
I have all the guide books. Is there any reason I would need this also?

tlbj6142
06-22-2006, 15:02
Speaking of PCT guide books, are the maps in the guide books good enough for navigation? Or do I need to purchase maps separately?

Mags
06-22-2006, 15:47
Yogi's Book: You don't *need* it, but you may want it. Gives much information from a wide variety of hikers. Makes planning the trail (equipment, town stops, etc.) very nice. Helps a lot with ON TRAIL issue as well. Personally? I'd get it. Great resource! (Yogi is a good friend of mine, so I am biased. First to admit it!)

PCT MAPS: The ones in the guidebook are fine for the PCT. One caveat is in a high snow year (like this one!) The Harrison maps are VERY valuable for the High Sierra.
https://www.orderz.com/pcta/productdetail.asp?action=showdetail&cat=156&item=14306&part=PCTA-75

In a normal or even slightly high year, the PCT maps in the guidebook are fine in the High Sierra (IMO).

tlbj6142
06-22-2006, 17:30
Max, sorry to hijack your thread....

If you are just doing KM-->TM do I need the guide books? Re-supply information is available on-line for that section, so I could just buy the maps, correct? Or does the guide help with navigation as well?

Mags
06-22-2006, 17:43

If you are just doing KM-->TM do I need the guide books? Re-supply information is available on-line for that section, so I could just buy the maps, correct? Or does the guide help with navigation as well?

I am more of a map guy myself. I rarely used the guidebooks to find my way on the trail, used them more for the maps. Guidebooks often confuse me because of the way my brain is wired (the ex-girlfriend would have more thoughts on to say on the that subject! ;)). Find it easier to glance at the maps.

But, that is me. If you are more comfortable with a GB, suspect the guidebook and the gb maps are the way to go. The JMT maps DO NOT have the stretch from KM to where the JMT hooks up to the PCT, BTW. (I forget where the JMT and PCT meet up again. I know it is around Crabtree Meadows before Mt. Whitney.).

Hope this helps.

chris
06-22-2006, 19:55
If you're just going from KM to TM, I would skip the guidebook and just get the Tom Harrison maps. Resupply is easy, because there are not many options. I'd go from KM to VVR and buy food there. Then, hike on to Reds where you can pick up some more if you need it. Short hop to TM after that.

Max
06-23-2006, 13:32

I've been robbed! :D
Thats ok.
Has anyone used the free topo maps at http://www.hikertrash.com/
They look like they might be pretty good. Or at least better then the ones in the guide book.

bulldog
07-10-2006, 04:33
I bought both the guide books and Yogi's book but only took Yogi's book and the data book. I figured if I had problems losing the trail I could have someone mail me the pages but I only ever lost the trail a handful of times and always found it again quickly so I never bothered with the maps or the guidebooks. Take what you feel comfortable with but you can get by with just one or the other.