PDA

View Full Version : Backpack,tent,sleeping bag,...???

maxNcathy
06-22-2006, 15:39
I am now trying to decide what sleeping bag I should take hiking next March 19th. I think I have a backpack and tent that will be suitable.

There are so many choices and such great gear to choose from nowadays.
This is what I plan to use:

Osprey Aether 60 backpack
Big Agnes Seedhouse SL1 tent
Either a Moonstone 800 Lucid 20F or a WM Apache SMF 15F sleeping bag
MSR Pocket Rocket stove
not sure about other gear yet.

How about you?

Sandalwood

WhoAh
06-22-2006, 21:01
Pack - I am also using the Aether 60 - have done three section hikes with it and really like the suspension. Just enough room for the essentials and not enough to bring stuff you won't need...
Tent - MSR Fling - it's a single wall tarp-like tent. Lots of room for little weight.
Bag - an older Marmot Arroyo for my winter bag, don't have summer bag yet - still looking
Stove - either my TinMan soda can or a MSR Windpro that was given to me. Not sure.....

bearbag hanger
06-22-2006, 23:10
I had a Aether 60, but replaced it with a lighter weight ULA. The Aether 60 was a good pack, but the new ones are a little heavy.

Tent - I have a Six Moon Design Lunar Solo which I like a lot. I use a hammock most of the time, but if I need to go lighter, the Lunar Solo works for me.

Bag - Everyone I know who has a WM bag is extremly happy with them. Not so with the Moonstone. I had a Moonstone a long time ago, but the back had less insulation than the top and I wound up with a cold back when I rolled over to my side. Right now I use a down quilt instead of a sleeping bag, but it's more part of a summer sleep system than real winter.

Stove - alcohol is a lot lighter, but have to admit a lot of people don't like the additional trouble compared to a MSR pocket rocket

maxNcathy
06-23-2006, 13:40
Pack - I am also using the Aether 60 - have done three section hikes with it and really like the suspension. Just enough room for the essentials and not enough to bring stuff you won't need...
Tent - MSR Fling - it's a single wall tarp-like tent. Lots of room for little weight.
Bag - an older Marmot Arroyo for my winter bag, don't have summer bag yet - still looking
Stove - either my TinMan soda can or a MSR Windpro that was given to me. Not sure.....

In case you or anyone interested

A few weeks ago I bought a Moonstone 8oo Lucid 20F and just love the look and feel of it...reg with right full length zipper and 5' 11" length...now closeout at SierraTrading ..at 40% off ..at that price I should buy a spare!
Sandalwood

maxNcathy
06-23-2006, 15:30
Does anyone here think a 5F sleeping bag is too warm for hiking starting Mar 19 on the AT...Ga/Nc/TN...?

Ewker
06-23-2006, 19:38
depends on what type of sleeper you are. To me it would be to hot.

Kerosene
06-24-2006, 09:34
Does anyone here think a 5F sleeping bag is too warm for hiking starting Mar 19 on the AT...Ga/Nc/TN...?Most March hikers use a 15F or 20F until Pearisburg, augmenting with a down sweater and perhaps fleece pants to ride out the one or two winter storms that can hit in March and April.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
06-24-2006, 09:42
If you are a cold sleeper, I'd go with a bag good down to 5 to 10 F for a mid-March hike. I'm a cold sleeper and use a 20 F bag (agumented with insulated clothing on cold nights) for everything except Dec to March inclusive. I don't overnight in those months. If I did, I would be using a bag good down to about 0 F.

general
06-24-2006, 11:57
Does anyone here think a 5F sleeping bag is too warm for hiking starting Mar 19 on the AT...Ga/Nc/TN...?

i use a 0 that time of year.

HapKiDo
06-24-2006, 23:39
I got a great deal on a MountainSmith Muse at Campmor. I'd been using a Lynne Whelden 1 pound pack but wanted something with suspension for my Thru Hike.

I got a better deal deal on a Mountain Hardwear Tallac (supposed to be a 15* bag) at half price, used once in a hammock. I'll supplement with a coolmax liner (REI) when I start out. I also have a non-woven nylon liner (Campmor). Extra insulation: fleece jacket (KMart $1.58) and warm thermal underwear (rei & theunderwearguys). And my pad is an 3 oz Uber Micro (pacoutdoor) that I found at the Outfitter in Hot Springs, NC.

I've also decided to use my Integral Designs Salathe' Bivy (REI) and a small tarp (private seller) instead of a tent. Bivy life is not for everyone, but I see it as an advantage because I can use it in shelters if I decide to sleep in one (other than when I "have" to do so). Otherwise, I'd be using an 8x10 tarp (lwgear) or tarp/tent (trailquest.net).

I've debated stoves vs stoves vs stoves and plan to use an Etowah Outfitter esbit/alcohol stove, mostly using esbit. My hiking partner found a 7 ounce stove that uses "white gas" and I think it's made by Primus or Brunton, I'm not sure and I can't find it online. She likes to simmer and to sautee, so she's a happy camper. (The MSR simmerlite, didn't, this was a replacement for that stove.)

If you haven't seen the CD/Video by Lynne Whelden, Backpacking Lightweight Secrets Revealed, I encourage you to do so. It's not about ultralight, it's about not carrying 50 pounds when 30 pounds with food and water will meet your backpacking needs.

HapKiDo

maxNcathy
06-27-2006, 07:22
Yesterday I read in trailjournals that Stumpknocker used a Western Mountaineering 10F sleeping bag. I have been really looking at WM Versalite 10F at 2 pounds and $390.
Moonstone's 800 PCT is 10F too and reduced to $234 from $390 but is 10oz more weight....

Ewker
06-27-2006, 09:11
I have the Marmot Helium 15° down bag, 850 fill, less than 2 lbs. It usually runs around 360.00 unless you can catch it on sale. I bought mine on ebay for around 250.00

maxNcathy
06-27-2006, 13:07
Ewker, Does the helium have a 2-way zipper for venting when too warm?
Wearing a thin poly shirt, let's say, to what temps would you be "just right" for warmth in your helium?
Sandalwood/Max

Ewker
06-27-2006, 16:10
No it only has one zipper and it is a short one. I stay nice and warm in mine. I usually sleep in shorts and a long sleeve shirt.
Here is a link to it http://www.backcountry.com/store/MAR0573/Marmot-Helium-Sleeping-Bag-15-Degree-Down.html?CP=Google&CMP=KNC-Google&mv_pc=r101&gcid=S2000x008&keyword=marmot+helium

karo
06-28-2006, 01:18
Pack: Granite Gear Vapor Trail w/lid 2lb 2.4 oz

Bag: Sportsman's Guide -5 degree quallofill bag About 4 lbs.

Tent: Alps Mountaineering Comet 1 man: under 3 lbs.

I need to get a postal scale and get the weights exact. I got the bag last year and I did great at Roan in the snow. I also have a 32 degree quallofill insulated bag from Coleman that I can take after it warms up. It wieghs 2#. I try to stay from down bags because I know eventually it will get wet. The 2 quallofill bags may be under rated but that still gives me at least a 10 degree bag and about a 40 degree bag. The sportsman's guide bag was a steal at $49! I know that I may need a better sleeping bag, but I will try to get thru with those two. I am still under 10# for the big three.

karo
06-28-2006, 01:24
I forgot about the stove, pepsi can alcohol stove, improved cobra design with a larger fill hole. I may contact Tinman about his pot cozies.

mister pooh
06-28-2006, 18:39
Pack- Really looking at the ULA Catalyst, I'll be going to Mountain Crossings sometime soon to look at one. Or maybe the Aether 60.

Tent- I have a Sierra Designs Light Year, but I may replace it with a Tarptent or a Six Moon Designs shelter. Maybe a hammock for later? Boy, I'm a burgeoning Gearhead...

Sleeping Bag- Feathered Friends Hummingbird. 20 degree bag and light!

Probably going alcohol stove. Still getting everything together, but I definitely am aiming to be under 30 pounds with 5 days of food and fuel, plus a full water load. Hope my wallet holds out!

Phreak
06-28-2006, 23:26
Pack: GG Vapor Trail (1 lb 14 oz)
Bag: Mountain Hardwear Phantom 15 (1lb 5 oz)
Shelter: HH Ultralight (1 lb 15 oz)
Stove: Etowah II Alcohol (stove, fuel, pot = less than 1 lb)

Hoping to have my base weight (less food & water) to under 15 pounds.

Michele
06-30-2006, 09:02
Pack: Waiting f

Michele
06-30-2006, 09:20
Sorry about that...computer decided to develop a mind of its own...

Pack: Waiting for my ULA Catalyst to show up and hopefully it will be THE
one. I opted for the internal stash pocket and silnylon pack cover.
I think all is about 46 oz and $266.00 total
Tent: MSR Hubba, 3 lbs, normally runs around $230.00, got new on ebay
for $140.00
Stove: Catfood can stove w/alcohol. Had to buy materials in bulk, all for
about $40.00, but now I can make a million stoves if I want.
Bag: WM Ultralite 20-degree 850-fill down for a mere 1lb 10oz!!!! It should
be showing up w/in the next few days. $340.00 though.

the_iceman
07-02-2006, 08:33
I am taking the comfort approach but staying at 8 1/4 pounds for the top 3

I am going to order the ULA Catalyst with cover
I have an REI Sub Kilo +20 down bag
I opted for the roomy Big Agnes Seedhouse SL2 - 46oz
free standing, bring your pack inside, situp, room for 2 in a pinch
foot print - 6.5 oz. never used a foot print before

This totals to 8 1/4 lbs.

Stove will be a jetboil

Sleeping pad a Big Agnes (24 oz) for those 2.5 inches of cushion for my old body.

Total wet weight with 5 days food and 1.5 liters of water 35.5 lbs. That sould be max wieght unless I have to haul an extra day of food. Figure it will go down as the weather warms and I get rid of a few things. Hope to start 3/4/07.

I know the ultra-lite people are going to flip out over the weight but this is light compared to my typical winter pack with skis and snow shoes.

maxNcathy
07-03-2006, 10:27
Yesterday I bought a Moonstone 800 PCT sleeping bag on ebay...rated at 10F with 800 down...a bit heavy at 2 lbs 10 oz. but comfort is big with me too.
Has anyone tried this bag? I will test it this winter as I will test all gear before hiking in March.
My next test will be for my tent in high winds...better to have it rip up here than in the mts!

chicote
07-07-2006, 09:29
Bag: Mont•Bell Super Stretch Down Hugger #2 (about 20deg.) almost 2#
Pack: Granite Gear Lattitude Vapor just over 2#
Tent: Tarptent Double Rainbow 2.5#
Pad: Max Thermo Mummy just over 1#
Stove: MSR Pocket Rocket
Pots: MSR Titan

I'll be sharing the tent with my wife along with cooking gear. Can't wait to get out there and use this stuff on a daily basis.

Blissful
07-09-2006, 20:48
Tent: my squall tarp tent
Bag: starting out with a "heavy" 15 degree Marmot synthetic for the Smokies, then will probably switch to 30 degree Lafuma for the summer.
Stove: soda can stove
Pack: still have to get this puppy, so have been looking around.

maxNcathy
07-19-2006, 14:07
Question:
Do you think a 30f bag like Marmot Hydrogen or WM Summerlite would be warm enough when hiking from Hot Springs to Damascus in late April...need another bag for when my wife joins me for a while.
Thanks for your opinion.

Ewker
07-19-2006, 16:33
why switch sleeping bags? If you start out with a 15° bag why not use it all the way. If it gets to hot sleep on top or us it like a quilt. My 15° bag weighs the same as my 45°. It seems to me that you are wasting money esp if you have to mail the 15° bag back to you when it gets cooler up in the northeast

maxNcathy
07-26-2006, 08:14
Question:
Do you think a 30f bag like Marmot Hydrogen or WM Summerlite would be warm enough when hiking from Hot Springs to Damascus in late April...need another bag for when my wife joins me for a while.
Thanks for your opinion.

Still wondering what bag to get for my wife...anyone ever had North Face beeline 30F or hightail 15F?

Blissful
07-26-2006, 22:25
Still wondering what bag to get for my wife...anyone ever had North Face beeline 30F or hightail 15F?

Does she sleep cold? I wouldn't get anything over 20 degrees unless you are hiking mostly summer. I went with a Marmot 15 degree b/c of a March 1st start. And I sleep cold. Some bag ratings aren't reliable either (I didn't have much luck with Kelty or Slumberjack). And the pad you use can make a difference too.

Another thing you can do when checking bags is to read the reviews on different sites. There are also plenty of fourms on White Blaze on synthetic vs down.

maxNcathy
07-27-2006, 08:35
Thanks, Blissful

Cathy sleeps on the cold side so maybe I do need a 20F or a 15F for her in late April while hiking from Erwin north to Damascus.
I wish WM bags were less expensive but I may get her an Apache 15F or an Ultralite 20F.
Now do I buy left or right zip and will a 5'6" bag be long enough as she is right on that height??
Do you prefer a left or right zip,Blissful?

Max/Sandalwood

bigcranky
07-27-2006, 17:49
With the WM line, my personal experience is to go with the longer bag. We have 3 WM bags in the house, and my wife, who is 5-4, fits perfectly in the Regular (6-0) size bag. The 5-6 bag was just too short. If you are anywhere near 6 feet, then the 6-6 bag is the way to go. As usual, your mileage may vary.

Blissful
07-27-2006, 18:26
Thanks, Blissful

Cathy sleeps on the cold side so maybe I do need a 20F or a 15F for her in late April while hiking from Erwin north to Damascus.
I wish WM bags were less expensive but I may get her an Apache 15F or an Ultralite 20F.
Now do I buy left or right zip and will a 5'6" bag be long enough as she is right on that height??
Do you prefer a left or right zip,Blissful?

Max/Sandalwood

Zippers don't really matter to me. With some people they do. Mine happens to be right side. I'm just use to it.

And I prefer having a bag longer so my feet can wiggle - can't stand having a bag snug to my feet. Guess it depends on her. She may want to try them out at an outdoor shop - at least the length of bags, even if you don't buy that brand of bag (that's what I did, to check for length, even though they didn't have the Marmot I was going to buy online). My bag is up to 5 10 and I'm 5ft 6.

maxNcathy
07-29-2006, 16:06
With the WM line, my personal experience is to go with the longer bag. We have 3 WM bags in the house, and my wife, who is 5-4, fits perfectly in the Regular (6-0) size bag. The 5-6 bag was just too short. If you are anywhere near 6 feet, then the 6-6 bag is the way to go. As usual, your mileage may vary.

Thanks very much for the advice, Big C.

maxNcathy
07-29-2006, 16:13
Does she sleep cold? I wouldn't get anything over 20 degrees unless you are hiking mostly summer. I went with a Marmot 15 degree b/c of a March 1st start. And I sleep cold. Some bag ratings aren't reliable either (I didn't have much luck with Kelty or Slumberjack). And the pad you use can make a difference too.

Another thing you can do when checking bags is to read the reviews on different sites. There are also plenty of fourms on White Blaze on synthetic vs down.

Yes, Cathy sleeps cold as a rule. I think 15F would be right for her but I haven't found a light down one at good price yet.But I am having fun looking.

Thanks for your help, Blissful.
You will be starting ahead of me but i probably won,t catch up unless you get off the trail alot! Are you keeping a journal on trailjournals.com?

Sandalwood

Blissful
07-29-2006, 17:07
You will be starting ahead of me but i probably won,t catch up unless you get off the trail alot! Are you keeping a journal on trailjournals.com?

Sandalwood

Yep. Already started one as we have been section hiking in VA (already completed SNP, working on Northern VA). When we get to VA we plan to leap from Tye River Gap to Harpers Ferry to help with time (so my son can get to college in August).

http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=1416