PDA

View Full Version : February Start?

Stonewall
06-22-2006, 19:52
I was wondering if anyone had any tips, suggestions, or comments about an NOBO start? I've been looking though the forums and found a few in the archives. Just wanted to see what people say.

cheetah
06-22-2006, 20:05
Read a book where the author and her boyfriend started the AT in Feb. It was called something like "One Woman's Journey" or something. I'm not sure she thought it was a great idea - pretty rough in the beginning - plenty of snow. Good Luck!

Skidsteer
06-22-2006, 20:09
Read a book where the author and her boyfriend started the AT in Feb. It was called something like "One Woman's Journey" or something. I'm not sure she thought it was a great idea - pretty rough in the beginning - plenty of snow. Good Luck!

By Adrienne Hall. A decent book.

http://www.powells.com/biblio?isbn=1929173059

Peaks
06-22-2006, 21:40
I'd suggest you check trailjournals.com.

The Solemates
06-23-2006, 10:31
I was wondering if anyone had any tips, suggestions, or comments about an NOBO start? I've been looking though the forums and found a few in the archives. Just wanted to see what people say.

We started Feb 1 NOBO. Shoot your questions and we will be happy to answer them.

Stonewall
06-23-2006, 19:21
We started Feb 1 NOBO. Shoot your questions and we will be happy to answer them.

If you could pack now for february now that you have done it once what would you bring differnetly?

Snowshoes, Crampons?

I was thinking of for the first month and a half bringing my Giga stove then exchanging them for my achly stove the rest of the hike.

Alot or alittle snow, Temps?

they are what I can think of now ill add to it later thanks for the help.

minnesotasmith
06-24-2006, 00:21
Would have liked crampons for about a day and a half in the Smokies. Never wanted snowshoes. Was VERY happy to have full-length 0 degree synthetic sleeping bag, high-end fleece balaclava, and Sealskin socks, among other things.

The Solemates
06-26-2006, 10:31
If you could pack now for february now that you have done it once what would you bring differnetly?

Snowshoes, Crampons?

I was thinking of for the first month and a half bringing my Giga stove then exchanging them for my achly stove the rest of the hike.

Alot or alittle snow, Temps?

they are what I can think of now ill add to it later thanks for the help.

You do not need snowshoes or crampons for a NOBO start, regardless of when you start.

I would not bring an alcohol stove for winter hiking. We met one guy in NC who had one and that night he never got his supper cooked (it was around 10F and windy that night). We took an MSR simmerlite the whole way, which worked great. If you want to switch to alcohol, I would do so after Pearisburg.

We had tons of snow, but it all depends on the year. We had three major storms that dumped 12+ inches. There were 3 foot snow drifts on the trail in the Smokies and just south of Erwin. Temps dipped below 0F only about 3-4 nights on our trip. The rest of the time (during Feb) lows for the night were typically 10-20 degrees F.

The Solemates
06-26-2006, 10:33
Would have liked crampons for about a day and a half in the Smokies. Never wanted snowshoes. Was VERY happy to have full-length 0 degree synthetic sleeping bag, high-end fleece balaclava, and Sealskin socks, among other things.

Absolutely. We had 0 degree down bags, slept with a fleece hat on, and wore fleece socks over our hiking socks when in camp.

white rabbit
06-26-2006, 11:49
This guy started Feb 26 and finished last week.

http://www.trailjournals.com/kenberry/

max patch
06-26-2006, 12:09
I would not reccomend a February start UNLESS you have experience hiking and camping in cold weather AND you know enjoy it. MOST people do not enjoy camping -- the hiking isn't bad -- in the cold.

The best time to start a NOBO hike IMO is April for two reasons -- much better weather AND you will get to hike in NE in the fall.

Stonewall
06-26-2006, 12:45
I would not reccomend a February start UNLESS you have experience hiking and camping in cold weather AND you know enjoy it. MOST people do not enjoy camping -- the hiking isn't bad -- in the cold.

The best time to start a NOBO hike IMO is April for two reasons -- much better weather AND you will get to hike in NE in the fall.

I appreciate you oppinion, Though I have not hiked or camped much in the past few years, I was never put off by the idea of camping in the cold. I am choosing a Feburary start to give myself maximum amount of time (6 months come home in Aug) because I am leaveing for the Rocky Mountains Sept 9 for a 3 month Class with NOLS ending in Dec. I would like to have some time to prep to get ready for that course considering once I get done there I am moving to WI to attend Northland College in January, I currently live in PA.

Plus much to my advantage most of my family is scattered around the NE, I must say that fall is a beautiful time around here, and would love to see it during my thru hike but I am will not be dissappointed if I miss it.

mingo
06-26-2006, 12:54
winter hiking can be fun but it wears me down. i can't stay out for more than a few days at a time. i just get too tired. even when you're sleeping you're burning a lot of calories just trying to keep warm. and there's the endless chore of trying to get your things dry every night, not to mention making a fire

max patch
06-26-2006, 14:02
and there's the endless chore of trying to get your things dry every night, not to mention making a fire

You may get lucky, but those with a 2/1 start should be prepared...mentally and gear wise...for hiking all day in a cold drizzle in Georgia.

Stonewall
06-29-2006, 17:29
I appreciate everyones suggestions if anyone has anymore just let me know thanks

crutch
06-29-2006, 20:34
I started this year on Feb 15th.....PM me and I'd be glad to offer any help that I can.

cls
06-30-2006, 14:44
Started this year on Feb 19. Have been hiking in the southeast exclusively in the winter for past 10 years. Weather down here varies greatly. Some winters lots of snow, some almost none. You will get plenty of cold and wet days though. Can' t go wrong with 0 degree bag to start out with. Some kind of puffy jacket (down or synthetic) to wear in evenings, mornings. Quality raingear that you know will keep you dry. Some kind of hot drink (I like instant tea, good hot or cold). There are lots of hostels and other places to get off the trail in the south if you need a break. What snow I hit this year was not a factor in my daily milege. I heard that hikers behind me had it worse.

Jaybird
06-30-2006, 14:48

Most of the NoBo crowd starts March-April...so, you'd be well ahead of any packs of hikers...

FEB. can be very harsh in the MTNS of North GA, NC & especially the SMOKIES in TN.

whenever you decide to start...be prepared...& GOOD LUCK w/ yer hike!:D

the_iceman
07-02-2006, 15:28
Crutch and Solemates-

Can you comment on the amount of rain versus snow? I know it varies but I camp a lot in the Whites in the winter and I have camped out west as well. I would much rather have snow (in resonable depths) than freezing rain. Rain will kill you more quickly.

What did you wear for pants? A lot of times I wear shorts, some kind of poly pro or tights, and gaiters as long as I am moving. Then through on wind/rain pants when I get into camp.

You do get tired but if you at not moving you get in your bag.

Days are also pretty short so what kind of mileage did you do your first 10 days or so?

Iceman

Montani semper liberi - Mountaineers are always free

The Solemates
07-05-2006, 12:09
Crutch and Solemates-

Can you comment on the amount of rain versus snow? I know it varies but I camp a lot in the Whites in the winter and I have camped out west as well. I would much rather have snow (in resonable depths) than freezing rain. Rain will kill you more quickly.

What did you wear for pants? A lot of times I wear shorts, some kind of poly pro or tights, and gaiters as long as I am moving. Then through on wind/rain pants when I get into camp.

You do get tired but if you at not moving you get in your bag.

Days are also pretty short so what kind of mileage did you do your first 10 days or so?

Iceman

Montani semper liberi - Mountaineers are always free

I think anyone would much rather have snow than rain. Cold rain sucks. We had more snow than rain, but I think it is dependent on the year. And thats not to say that we didnt have our share of rain either...we just didnt have a lot of it.

For every day wear, I wore Ex Oficio Amphi convertible pants with a built-in liner so I didnt have to wear underwear. These are the best trail pants made in my opinion. I have several pairs. You can usually find them for sale for around $60, which is ridiculous but its worth it. For rain gear, I had the Marmot Precip jacket and pants. When it rained and it was cold enough to merit rain pants, I usually zipped off my convertible pants into shorts and put the precip pants over that. I did not take gaitors at all on my thru hike. I did not take any kind of stuff to wear in camp. The stuff I hiked in, I slept in.

The first week or so I would say we only averaged 10-12 miles a day. It would usually start to get dark around 4pm for the first month.

Jack Tarlin
07-05-2006, 12:34
In addition to the obvious necessity of being properly equipped for extended periods of bad weather, be prepared for lower daily mileage and more time off in shelters, hostels, or towns while you wait out bad weather, or recover from as particularly rough stretch. This is especially important to remember if you're planning (or are required) to get off the Trail early in the season, like the younger hikers who need to done early to get back to school, etc. More bad weather translates to fewer or shorter hiking days, and this WILL affect your overall scedule.

Also, especially for younger hikers, more hostel and town stays means more money spent.You WILL make unplanned town/hostel/motel stays; you WILL take unplanned or even extra zero days,and this WILL cost you money.

I know of folks who started in early or mid-February in order to "beat the crowds" and because of bad weather, ended up only a few days ahead of the pack because of so many low mileage, or zero-mileage days----as well as spending hundreds of dollars they needed for later on down the line.

In many cases, the "benefits" of an early start aren't always worth it.

(Another point to ponder: How many folks who quit the Trail early on because of cold, wet, miserable conditions might have lasted longer----or completed their trips----if they'd started hiking just a few weeks later and, in all likelihood, encountered much more forgiving conditions early in their hikes?)

The Solemates
07-05-2006, 12:56
I know of folks who started in early or mid-February in order to "beat the crowds" and because of bad weather, ended up only a few days ahead of the pack because of so many low mileage, or zero-mileage days----as well as spending hundreds of dollars they needed for later on down the line.

true, and something to consider. you have to be really dedicated to continue hiking in blizzard-like conditions and not stop in town just to get out of the weather.

the_iceman
07-06-2006, 07:29
Are all the normal places to re-supply (and the hostels) near trail heads open in February?

Peaks
07-06-2006, 07:40
Following Jack's excellent post, you can also avoid the herd by starting late. From what I have seen, Georgia gets pretty quite right after April 15. And, once past Georgia, the shelters seem to be most conjested on Friday and Saturday nights with weekenders, not thru-hikers.

The Solemates
07-06-2006, 10:29
Are all the normal places to re-supply (and the hostels) near trail heads open in February?

Some may not be, but they are few and far between and we didnt have that big of a problem. Be flexible.

the_iceman
07-06-2006, 14:21
I always carry an extra day or food (or so) but I do not want to go crazy and have to carry 8 days worth. We like to keep moving nad avoid too many zero days and too much time in town. Recovery and resupply but not there to party.

pants
07-07-2006, 01:23
My partner and I need to cover 180 miles by the evening of March 5th, so we can help out with a wilderness program from our high school, and make a little money to help with the cost of the trip. Realistically, how early do we need to start? We're both young and have hiked before so I don't think we'll have a problem with low milage to start, but I know we need to count for bad weather and days off, as well as heavy packs to carry our winter stuff (i'm cold a lot at night, and my -15 degree bag is often my best friend). thanks!

Peaks
07-07-2006, 08:19
My partner and I need to cover 180 miles by the evening of March 5th, so we can help out with a wilderness program from our high school, and make a little money to help with the cost of the trip. Realistically, how early do we need to start? We're both young and have hiked before so I don't think we'll have a problem with low milage to start, but I know we need to count for bad weather and days off, as well as heavy packs to carry our winter stuff (i'm cold a lot at night, and my -15 degree bag is often my best friend). thanks!

If you have hiked before, and winter camped before, then you should have some idea of how much time you need. In summer, I'd advise allowing at least 2 weeks. Certainly, it's going to be longer in February.

The Solemates
07-07-2006, 09:43
If you have hiked before, and winter camped before, then you should have some idea of how much time you need. In summer, I'd advise allowing at least 2 weeks. Certainly, it's going to be longer in February.

yep..my thoughts exactly, 2-3 wks. depending on you.

the_iceman
07-08-2006, 17:47
I extracted this information of this site for hiking mileage by section. This information was put together from dozens of actual trail logs to come up with the average.

Running Total Avg Miles Section
1 9.5 75.2
75.2 11.4 87.6
162.8 12.1 295.5
458.3 13.6 387.7
846 14.3 161.6
1007.6 14 270
1277.6 14 172.6
1450.2 14 323.7
1773.9 10.5 100.6
1874.5 11.2 110.1
1984.6 13.6 187.8

Basically counting zero days the average hiker hikes 9.5 miles per day the first 75 miles of the trail. Then 11.4 per day etc. If you hit storms you may have to zero day an extra day or two.

I also checked sunrise and sun set for 2/15/07 and you will have 11 hours of day light. If you spend 2 hours eating, resting, breaking camp then you have 9 hours of hiking time. I am old and even in the mountains climbing I do 1.5 miles an hour with a heavy load. If you strap on snow shoes or hit deep snow you can drop to 1 mile an hour or less. I think it is reasonable, if you are in as good shape as you say, that you could match these times above.

180 miles puts you around the Eagle Creek Trail. If you left on 2/27/07 and kept the average above you would hit 179.3 miles on the evening of 3/15/07. Leaving 2/25/07 gets you there on 3/13/07 and would allow for 2 extra zero days.

That is 17 days and does not count the 8.8 mile approach trail.

the_iceman
07-08-2006, 17:54
1 to 75.2 miles = 9.5 miles per day
75.2 to 87.6 miles = 11.4 miles per day
162.8 to 295.5 = 12.1 miles per day
458.3 to 387.7 = 13.6 miles per day
846 to 161.6 = 14.3 miles per day
1007.6 to 270 = 14 miles per day
1277.6 to 172.6 = 14 miles per day
1450.2 to 323.7 = 14 miles per day
1773.9 to 100.6 = 10.5 miles per day
1874.5 to 110.1 = 11.2 miles per day
1984.6 to 2187.8 = 13.6 miles per day

Doctari
07-08-2006, 18:58
Before you go, be sure to read the article on Hypothermia @ http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/article.php?p=96956&postcount=1

May need it, may not. Just remember; in the mountains, just because it's 70 on Mon, don't mean it won't get down below 17 by wed. Actually got to 73 for me in 97, 3 days later a recording thermometer said it got to 17.
I'm from Cincinnati where the saying of "you don't like the weather, wait a minute" is mostly true, so changes in weather don't bother me :p

Just a thought.

Doctari.

mweinstone
07-09-2006, 22:46
two words global warming.leave any damm time you want. oh ,... and by the way,... did i forget to mention,... theres no more winter anymore either!

The Solemates
07-10-2006, 10:09
[FONT=Arial]I also checked sunrise and sun set for 2/15/07 and you will have 11 hours of day light.

this data is not for the mountains. on our thru, which started Feb 1, it got light around 6:30am and got dark around 4pm.

the_iceman
07-12-2006, 07:14
Soulmates -

Do you have a journal from your thru-hike online anywhere?

The Solemates
07-12-2006, 09:42
Soulmates -

Do you have a journal from your thru-hike online anywhere?

Not really. We have a few pages on trailjournals, but its not much. Search for our name and 2004. We do have and extensive photo-journal available. Info is on trailjournals on how to order, but the price may have changed so if you want one, email me.