PDA

View Full Version : Top 10 Outdoor Vacations AT@#2

Ridge
06-23-2006, 00:25
http://www.abcnews.go.com/GMA/Summer/story?id=2105885&page=1&gma=true

MOWGLI
06-23-2006, 06:43
OK, so hiking the AT is #2 and hiking in the Sierra is #10? This is one time that I will dismiss the mainstream media. At least the Sierra was listed twice in the list.

Lone Wolf
06-23-2006, 06:45
Thru-hiking the AT is a chore for most. Section hikers get more out of the AT.

StarLyte
06-23-2006, 07:12
Miss Janet and I were just talking about this.

We had better get our hiking experience(s) in on the AT before the movie is out. There will be crowds of people wanting to hike it, to see any part of it. The movie will stimulate everything about the AT and it's community. We'll be sitting here reading about hikers being rescued and how outfitters made it rich.

Then it will all die down and we'll have to clean up the mess.

StarLyte

Frolicking Dinosaurs
06-23-2006, 07:13
Thanks for sharing that LW. It gives me a new perspective on what I'm doing. Sometimes section hiking seems like such a chore - the travel, arranging the shuttles, getting sore as the dickens every time - but I do take my time and smell the laurel along the way.

LW, give that lovely lady in your life a hug for me. I wish I had gotten a chance to talk with her on our recent visit to Damascus, but she was obviously very busy when I saw her.

As for an influx on the AT - I predict lots more equipment being abandoned on the Approach trail and more traffic on the first 20 miles....