PDA

View Full Version : AT Rocker Patches

veteran
03-13-2003, 09:40
A site to order AT rocker patches from:

http://www.tfn.net/~bob1/

Jack Tarlin
03-13-2003, 16:22
Nice site, nice stuff, except for one nagging thing: The site says clearly that "Every 2000-Miler should join the 2000-Miler's Club on Trailplace."

Nonsense.

The "2000-Miler's Club" on Trailplace was created by Trailplace's admisistrator during one of his frequent spats witht the A.T.C.; this one involving the contention of Trailplace that the ATC was lax or careless in awarding 2,000 miler status, and that Trailplace, as the guardian of "traditional" thru-hiking values, was the only place worthy enough to hold this precious responsibility.

Needless to say, there is a great deal of dis-agreement on this.

The vast majority of people who've thru-hiked in recent years want nothing to do with Trailplace or its "2000-Miler's Club," for any number of reasons. Most folks realize that there are better and more open places for folks to get their information on thru-hiking, and how to plan a hike, and likewise, most folks have enough respect for the A.T.C. that they don't feel the need to enlist in an organization or club whose sole purpose is to elevate the importance and influence of the person who decides whether or not an individual is eligible to join, i.e. Trailplace's administrator and sole voice.

The "2000 Miler's Club" was created as a direct affront to the ATC, and its sole purpose was to replace the ATC as the "governing" body that decided who was worthy of official status as a thru-hiker.

I personally resent this insult to the ATC; to the suggestion that the ATC isn't doing its job; and that the folks at Trailplace can run Trail affairs a whole lot better.

I guess the guy that runs this "Patch" site can tell anyone he wishes what they "should" or shouldn't do, and what organizations they must make sure they belong to .

The rest of us can decide these things for ourselves.

MOWGLI
03-13-2003, 16:31
Perhaps a bit of an overreaction BJ. The link to the 2000-Milers Club is a dead one. The website Admin-person also suggests that all 2000-milers should be members of ATC & ALDHA. Sound advice I think.

I don't think its really necessary to denigrate this site simply because the website designer suggests someone should join Trailplace's 2000-mile club. Anyway, that "club" is about as dead as the link to it.

Jack Tarlin
03-13-2003, 16:42
Denigrate?

The first thing I said was "Nice stuff, nice site."

And you're right, the link to the "2000-Miler's Club" doesn't seem to be functioning.

Good riddance.

MOWGLI
03-13-2003, 17:04
Originally posted by Jack Tarlin
Nice site, nice stuff, except for one nagging thing: The site says clearly that "Every 2000-Miler should join the 2000-Miler's Club on Trailplace."

Nonsense.

I guess the guy that runs this "Patch" site can tell anyone he wishes what they "should" or shouldn't do, and what organizations they must make sure they belong to .

The rest of us can decide these things for ourselves.

BJ, I am surprised at you. I've always admired your way with words, and thought of you as a real student of the King's English.

Denigrate: to deny the importance or validity of

Yes, denigrate.

max patch
03-13-2003, 21:04
As Baltimore Jack correctly points out, the ATC is the sole agency that confers official thru-hiker (or, more accurately, 2,000 miler) status to hikers at the completion of their hike upon receipt of a written submission from the hiker.

While the site does not sell the 2,000 miler rocker (you are linked back to the ATC) it does sell a thru-hiker patch and other patches that copy the design of the ATC patches. I find this to be offensive and misleading and would hope that no one supports this enterprise.

Kozmic Zian
02-16-2004, 00:18
Yea....Commercial Enterprise. I agree with you max. I do not support any unauthorized commercial exploitation of the Appalachian Trail. Enterprise that has the approval of the ATC and the different Support and Maintainence Clubs, Yes. These 'Johnny Come Lately' groups and indivduals that appear suddenly wanting moneys for this and that.....caution, don't jump in or purchase untill further review and approval. If anyone supports this kind of enterprise, soon the entire Trail will be inundated with commercial venture, and all semblance of 'wilderness' will be lost. KZ@