PDA

View Full Version : Trekking poles: carry on?

leeki pole
06-23-2006, 15:11
Does anybody have experience with flying and carrying on your trekking poles rather thank checking them in luggage? I'm headed out in a couple of weeks out West and just wondered since I'm keeping my pack with me and would like not to check any luggage if possible. Didn't know if TSA would hassle me about it. Any input is welcome and thanks in advance! :)

Fofer
06-23-2006, 15:17
unfortunately, you can't carry poles on an airplane, atleast last time i was on a plane it was on the list of no no along with a sharp pencile

Footslogger
06-23-2006, 20:44
[quote=leeki pole]Does anybody have experience with flying and carrying on your trekking poles rather thank checking them in luggage?
============================
Sure do ...about 4 - 5 times now. TSA regs allow them as long as they are designated as hiker assist poles and not ski poles. We left them right on the outside of our packs (collapsed) with the handles in the ice axe loops and the tips pointing upward.

'Slogger

Shutterbug
06-23-2006, 23:17
Does anybody have experience with flying and carrying on your trekking poles rather thank checking them in luggage? I'm headed out in a couple of weeks out West and just wondered since I'm keeping my pack with me and would like not to check any luggage if possible. Didn't know if TSA would hassle me about it. Any input is welcome and thanks in advance! :)

On my recent trip to Africa, one member of our group bought a hiking staff from a tribesman. When she attempted to bring it on the plane the attendant asked, "Do you need it to walk?" She answered, "Of course I need it to walk." It went right on the plane. Later the attendant explained that the rule is that a person can carry a walking stick on the plane only if they need it to walk.

If that rule is the same on domestic flights, you may have to answer the question correctly. Of course, if you are like my friend, you wouldn't have treking poles unless you needed them.

Sorcerer
06-29-2006, 13:25
No to hiking poles on a domestic flight out of Boston's Logan Airport back home last year. They said they were too much like a weapon. I guess when your security lets all the 9/11 terrorists through, you get a little tougher from then on. I've been breaking them down and packing them in my pack and then checking the whole mess. Just leave your lighter and fuel at home. You can carry up to 4 packs of matches on board though.

the goat
06-29-2006, 13:31

leki's website says no, it also has a link to the TSA's specific regs:

http://www.leki.com/html/news_detail.asp?id=17

eric_plano
06-29-2006, 13:32
At DFW and in Knoxville they required me to check them and seperately since they would not fit in my pack. They promptly lost them on the flight from Knoxville and it took 3 weeks to get them back. I was probably lucky I got them back at all :rolleyes:

MOWGLI
06-29-2006, 13:38
I break them down and put them in my checked baggage.

Footslogger
06-29-2006, 13:38
Well ...we're flying this Saturday from Denver to Boston and they're strapped on the outside of our packs. So ...I'll give ya'll an update. But, unless TSA has rewritten their regs it should be OK, as long as they are classified as walking/hiking assist poles and NOT ski poles. The TSA rep at the Denver airport pulled out the reg and showed it to us. We've been citing that experience ever since and have had no problems.

'Slogger

K0OPG
06-30-2006, 11:53
As a TSA Screening Officer, I can tell you that trekking poles cannot be carried on the plane. They can be checked in with checked baggage that goes under the plane. Here is a link for the prohibited items. If you have any specific questions, pm me.

www.tsa.gov/interweb/assetlibrary/Permitted_Prohibited_Facts.doc (http://www.tsa.gov/interweb/assetlibrary/Permitted_Prohibited_Facts.doc)

happy traveling:D

Footslogger
06-30-2006, 11:56
As a TSA Screening Officer, I can tell you that trekking poles cannot be carried on the plane. They can be checked in with checked baggage that goes under the plane. Here is a link for the prohibited items. If you have any specific questions, pm me.

www.tsa.gov/interweb/assetlibrary/Permitted_Prohibited_Facts.doc (http://www.tsa.gov/interweb/assetlibrary/Permitted_Prohibited_Facts.doc)

happy traveling:D
======================
Hmmm ...well now you've got me concerned. Have carried them on several times without any problems. Would hate to get to the airport and have them taken from us. Might throw them in a tube just in case we've got to check them. Wonder why the TSA Sreener showed us the reg that said it was OK and let us board with them in the past ??

When I look down the list of prohibited items though all I see is "Ski Poles". Trekking poles are (or at least we were told in the past) hiking/walking assist devices and are therefore permitted.

'Slogger

K0OPG
06-30-2006, 12:25
I will get some further information from my bosses but I know in the airport I work in you would have a hard time getting on with them. It all comes down to interpretation of the regs. believe me, I have argued with my supervisors many times on other items.

one thing I have come across is with fuel bottles. as long as they are empty AND RINSED OUT, so that you cannot smell the fuel residue, you can put them in checked baggage also. at least were I work. we get many soldiers through and they carry cooking stoves with them for in the field and that's what we tell them to do.

Panzer1
06-30-2006, 14:56
Just leave your lighter and fuel at home. You can carry up to 4 packs of matches on board though.

I heard that they are confiscating 30,000 lighters a day at the airports in the US.

Panzer

Footslogger
07-04-2006, 19:58
News flash ...

Dateline Andover, ME

First chance to post a follow-up since our flight but wanted everyone to know that it is OK to fly with hiking poles (to some this is already a known fact). We flew from Denver to Boston on Delta Airlines. Had our trekking poles strapped to the outside of our packs when they went through xray screening ...NO PROBLEM. The key thing is to make sure the TSA folks know that they are "Collapsable Walking Sticks" (operating words). If they check their regs they will let you go onboard with them.

Just thought this might come in handy for anyone planning to fly in the near future with trekking poles.

In case anyone is interested, we just got into Andover today from Rangeley ...staying at "The Cabin". Trail is wet and muddy (really muddy in spots) and the gnats and mosquitoes are still out in force. Other than that it's great to be be back on the trail. BadAss Turtle and I are having a ball. Heading out tomorrow towards Gorham and then onto Pinkham Notch.

All the best from the AT ...

'Slogger

Ridge
07-04-2006, 20:48
Transportation Security Adm. site. download the Prohibited Items List (English) (http://www.tsa.gov/public/interweb/assetlibrary/Permitted_Prohibited_Facts.doc) (Word 281KB) (Revised 3-2-2006)

http://www.tsa.gov/public/display?theme=177

In reference to the poles, they exclude ski poles in carry on, which are similar to the store bought hiking poles. This is a good site to learn what you can and can't carry on a plane.

Footslogger
07-05-2006, 17:11
Transportation Security Adm. site. download the Prohibited Items List (English) (http://www.tsa.gov/public/interweb/assetlibrary/Permitted_Prohibited_Facts.doc) (Word 281KB) (Revised 3-2-2006)

http://www.tsa.gov/public/display?theme=177

In reference to the poles, they exclude ski poles in carry on, which are similar to the store bought hiking poles. This is a good site to learn what you can and can't carry on a plane.
=======================
Just know that a lot of TSA reps are familiar with the regs at a rather high level and are not (if they aren't hikers) familiar with the difference between hiking poles and ski poles. Like I said before ...if you are stopped at security with trekking poles just be sure to clarify that they are "collapsible walking sticks" and ask that they check their regs. You'll be allowed to board with them.

'Slogger

The Solemates
07-05-2006, 17:36
[quote=leeki pole]Does anybody have experience with flying and carrying on your trekking poles rather thank checking them in luggage?
============================
Sure do ...about 4 - 5 times now. TSA regs allow them as long as they are designated as hiker assist poles and not ski poles. We left them right on the outside of our packs (collapsed) with the handles in the ice axe loops and the tips pointing upward.

'Slogger

you have been lucky. they give us a hard time every time and make us check them.

The Solemates
07-05-2006, 17:39
I heard that they are confiscating 30,000 lighters a day at the airports in the US.

Panzer

we have had lighters in our checked baggage tons of times.

The Solemates
07-05-2006, 17:40
=======================
Just know that a lot of TSA reps are familiar with the regs at a rather high level and are not (if they aren't hikers) familiar with the difference between hiking poles and ski poles. Like I said before ...if you are stopped at security with trekking poles just be sure to clarify that they are "collapsible walking sticks" and ask that they check their regs. You'll be allowed to board with them.

'Slogger

have tried that. again, you were lucky in my opinion.

Footslogger
07-05-2006, 17:42
have tried that. again, you were lucky in my opinion.
==============================
Check em if it's easier for you but I think it's worth pressing the issue. Their own regs allow it. Just need to get the TSA reg to check their own regs.

'Slogger

RockyTrail
07-06-2006, 10:25
I put my poles in a fat heavy-duty mailing tube and duct-taped the ends and then sent it thorugh checked baggage. This way when they throw those 70 lb suitcases on it they dont get bent. I have seen some get bent when strapped to the outside of a pack. Something to think about.

The Solemates
07-06-2006, 10:27
==============================
Check em if it's easier for you but I think it's worth pressing the issue. Their own regs allow it. Just need to get the TSA reg to check their own regs.

'Slogger

yea we just didnt push far enough i guess.

teachergal
07-06-2006, 14:49
I flew out of Jackson Hole yesterday and saw a lady getting off the plane using two trekking poles - wonder if she had trouble getting them through security and needed to "prove" that she needed them?

Mine were securly stowed in my checked luggage! :)

mweinstone
07-08-2006, 16:17
a woman returning from a mt mckinnly climb was killed along with 35 passengers when the leki hiking poles she had in her carryon bag severed the hydraulic lines sending the peehawk 300 to a firey crash.faa officials released a statement witch sighted 16 cases of hiking pole related fatal planecrashes this year alone.

Footslogger
07-16-2006, 10:35
Newsflash ...dateline Boston, Mass.

BadAss Turtle and I finished our section hike and bussed back down to Boston for our flight home yesterday. Had our trekking poles attached to the outside of our packs, exactly like we did on our outbound flight. Not so much as a word from TSA regarding the poles.

So ...in the past 2 weeks we've cleared security in both Denver and Boston with our poles in plain sight and attached to our packs.

Just thought everyone might appreciate that update ...

'Slogger