PDA

View Full Version : Convert from ropes to straps but..

ncmtns
06-23-2006, 17:36
Im going to use straps to hang from now but Im wondering. My 12' rope would go around a fat tree and tie on with my knot with no problem. With the 12' strap using a 4 wrap system to tie onto the tree, I dont have the option to tie on a fat tree or a far reaching tree. Is their a knot to use for a strap that needs to use every inch to tie with? :confused:

bearbag hanger
06-24-2006, 10:40
I converted my HH from rope to straps sometime in 2004 and have been very happy with them since. I find setting up a lot easier and faster. I've found that knots used in rope can be used with straps most of the time. Right now, if I have enough strap, I use a modified version of Speer's four wrap system. If I don't have enough, I find a two half hitches inside the loop around the tree and one outside, such that it will slide back and forth, seems to hold the hammock fine.

Just Jeff
06-24-2006, 11:26
Crazy Creek has a strap and buckle system - once I play around with it some more, I might convert all of my setups to that. It's pretty damn convenient and very easy to adjust. My biggest concern is freezing rain locking up the buckles, but how often is that really an issue?

jellywerker
06-24-2006, 19:43
I have a question, how long do you make your strap lines at each end of the hammock? So when I make my own with 1in webbing, how long a strap should I have at each end? I intend to do just webbing so i don't need to bother with treehuggers.

Just Jeff
06-24-2006, 20:23
9-12'. Might want 12-15 on the West coast since the trees are quite a bit bigger.

jellywerker
06-24-2006, 20:36
Thank you.

Curt
06-24-2006, 23:18
Crazy Creek has a strap and buckle system - once I play around with it some more, I might convert all of my setups to that. It's pretty damn convenient and very easy to adjust. My biggest concern is freezing rain locking up the buckles, but how often is that really an issue?

Just Jeff,
I went to the Crazy Creek web page but I could not find the strap and buckle system you mentioned. I need your help.

Thank you,

Corsican

Just Jeff
06-25-2006, 13:11
Here are two pics from my initial report. The strap just goes once around the tree, through the buckle, and tightened. It hasn't slipped on me after about 5 nights of use. The Crazy Creek has a channel at the end, but rigging the straps to any other hammock should be pretty easy. I think a simple larkshead would work.

Patrick
06-26-2006, 14:36
Jeff, I use something very similar when river camping (where weight isn't as important). The tie-downs for my canoe are heavy duty nylon with metal cam buckles. Good enough for keeping my 85-pound canoe on my roof at 80mph.

I usually throw them in the boat and use them to tie off to. I REALLY like the convenience of being able to tighten lines by just pulling the strap, rather than having to re-tie the HH knot. I was out last weekend and thinking that it might be worth the extra couple ounces for the buckles when hiking, too.

The CC look a bit lighter, though. Do you have weights on them?

Just Jeff
06-26-2006, 15:33
3.7 oz...about what my Spectra/Huggers weigh...about what my straps weigh...

Since you have to double them up, they end up being a bit shorter than the others. I might use the buckles for some longer ones after the test period is over. So far it's been VERY convenient, but I'm concerned about the bigger trees around here once I get out on the trail. It's been fine on the trees in my little park down the street, though.

Patrick
06-26-2006, 18:16
Jeff, that sounds pretty good. I may have to look into it. Thanks for the fast, precise answer.

hammock engineer
06-27-2006, 11:13
Looking at this thread has got me thinking. Jeff I looked at your website at the straps you use to secure your hammock. Someone above talked about using a knot.

Is a knot or buckle really needed? I could just wrap the strap a few times around the tree, then pull the strap through one of the loops. That way I would not need to deal with knots or buckles.

Any thoughts about this? If I did this I would remove the ropes from my HH, so I want to be sure before I cut.

ncmtns
06-27-2006, 11:36
Before I try it, Are you saying you actually tie the straps in a knot similar to a rope set up (if you cant wrap them)? I want to be sure that I dont tie the straps when I shouldnt and then have to cut them off the tree..:o

Just Jeff
06-27-2006, 11:44
Just wrapping the straps around a few times will be good for most rough-barked trees. Using a 4-wrap works for other trees but still doesn't require a knot. No buckles are needed.

With these buckles, I just wrap it once around the tree and buckle. It's much easier to adjust since I don't have to wrap/unwrap to change how it's hung or to center it. I'll play around with it some more before I decide.

ncmtns
06-27-2006, 17:17
Where can I find those buckles? Crazy Creek doesnt sell them individually that I can tell from their web site.

Just Jeff
06-27-2006, 19:41
Dunno. I've heard of folks using two steel rings to make buckles...like the old-school belts. I'm sure some place sells the buckles individually, but these came with the hammock.

The problem I've had looking for stuff like this is that very few are rated for strength...and many of the rings are welded, so I don't wanna trust it w/o knowing some numbers. There aren't any welds in the Crazy Creek buckle.

bearbag hanger
06-27-2006, 20:15
Before I try it, Are you saying you actually tie the straps in a knot similar to a rope set up (if you cant wrap them)? I want to be sure that I dont tie the straps when I shouldnt and then have to cut them off the tree..:o

Yes, but it's not a real knot, just three half hitches around the standing strap. I'm not sure what its name is, but the boy scouts use it to tie tents to pegs. The knot itself slides back and forth to tighten the tent sides. When I use it, it won't tighten because when you sit in the hammock, the knot slides back to the tree. When you need to tighten up the hammock, you have to untie and then retie the hitches. But it's fast and doesn't tighten up so much that you can't get it undone in the morning. I always leave a loop in the third and last hitch that I can pull to untie the straps when I need to.

It's a lot easier to do than to explain. I've never had a problem using this system for the last two or three years. Of course, if my description is bad and you tie the wrong thing, you may be looking at cutting it from the tree.

Ramble~On
06-27-2006, 20:53
Here's a link:

www.eaglesnestoutfittersinc.com/slap-strap-pro.html (http://www.eaglesnestoutfittersinc.com/slap-strap-pro.html)

Slap Straps are tubular webbing with loops at intervals. You simply wrap a tree or other object and pass the strap through a loop in one end.....attach a carbiner or tie your hammock directly to the loop and you're done.

I gave up on rope a long time ago...As not all situations are the same I still carry some extra 9/16 inch tubular webbing in case I have to span a longer distance. With the Slap Straps there are never any knots to tie, adjust or untie....simply a loop....I have yet to come to a situation where I couldn't set up...all be it I have used the extra webbing a few times.

Set up is SUPER fast.....and the height and pitch can be adjusted simply by using a higher or lower loop.

RadioFreq
07-06-2006, 11:46
Yes, but it's not a real knot, just three half hitches around the standing strap. I'm not sure what its name is, but the boy scouts use it to tie tents to pegs. The knot itself slides back and forth to tighten the tent sides. When I use it, it won't tighten because when you sit in the hammock, the knot slides back to the tree. When you need to tighten up the hammock, you have to untie and then retie the hitches. But it's fast and doesn't tighten up so much that you can't get it undone in the morning. I always leave a loop in the third and last hitch that I can pull to untie the straps when I need to.

It's a lot easier to do than to explain. I've never had a problem using this system for the last two or three years. Of course, if my description is bad and you tie the wrong thing, you may be looking at cutting it from the tree.

Methinks the knot you're describing is the "taut line".

msupple
09-19-2006, 09:16
Someone mentioned canoe straps. They can be found at www.nrsweb.com (http://www.nrsweb.com)
They are 1" wide straps rated at 1500lbs for the strap and 2000 lbs for the buckle. They come in various lengths up to 20' or you can order the parts and make them any length you prefer. I've used them for years holding everything from refrigerators in the back of pickups to suspending hammocks. They are extremely vesatile and easy to use. I've never had them slip and you can attach one to another if you need more length. If slippage is a concern just throw a half hitch after the buckle. I'm surprised more people here don't use them.

Rambler
09-19-2006, 12:52
http://www.thuleracks.com/thule/product.asp?dept_id=10&sku=523

blackbishop351
09-19-2006, 16:57
Cargo tie-downs like that, with or without ratcheting buckles, are generally heavier than most hikers want to carry. I thought about a system like that myself, but discarded the idea for that reason.

landcruzr
09-19-2006, 21:26
I just thought of something for straps- not sure if its been mentioned before or not- archery hunters use a strap system to hang themselves in trees- its buckles might be perfect for what you are looking for- My archery system has a webbing loop with a buckle that locks onto the tree- the webbing has a loop that hangs off of it that the archer attaches his harness to- the hammock could act as tha archer and be mounted the same way, and adjusted through a second buckle- no knots to tie, and the buckle releases very easily with the tug of a release strap-and the whole thing can be coiled up to the size of a soda can- I'll have to try it out and see how it works on the hammock- it works well for hunting