PDA

View Full Version : rain gear?

dreamhiker
06-24-2006, 08:12
Hello all,
I headed out tomorrow for a bp trip in southern VT and I have a question about rain gear. what is best and over the pack poncho or a pack cover and rain jacket and pants?
DreamHiker

SGT Rock
06-24-2006, 08:45
Depends on what you like. I prefer a jacket over a poncho. If you want some of the benifits of both look at the Packa.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
06-24-2006, 09:32
For this time of year, I prefer a poncho and nylon shorts because the ventilation is superb. In colder weather, I prefer Frogg Toggs and a pack cover. The Packa mentioned by SgtRock is another option, but you must remove your rain gear to get into your pack when using it and this isn't an acceptable alternative for my way of hiking.

bearbag hanger
06-24-2006, 10:15
I use a poncho most of the time, along with a pack cover. I use the snaps behind my legs to keep the front part wrapped around me and the shock cord sewn in the back edge tied around my pack and me. This way it doesn't blow around quite so much. It keeps the rain from going down my back and getting the pack wet, which it does if I use a rain jacket, rain pants and pack cover.

peter_pan
06-24-2006, 10:34
Dri Ducks and pack cover.

Pan

BigToe
06-24-2006, 11:21
I typically use the Equinox over the pack poncho. However on this last section hike, I used a pack cover because it was a multiple use item (hammock gear holder, pack cover, water bag from JRB) and just let the rain wash my hiker stink away a bit. It worked fine because it was pretty warm. In colder weather I would go back to my Equinox poncho / tarp (available at Campmor).

vaporjourney
06-24-2006, 22:58
Does anyone wear rain pants in the summer? It seems like it would be too hot, and instead you could just wear some nylon shorts as suggested above. I'd rather not use a poncho though because I'd also like some wind protection around camp, etc. I'll probably buy a Red Ledge rain jacket, but just not sure about the pants. Gaiters seem like they could be smart to help keep feet dry.

Smile
06-24-2006, 23:35
Rainpants are HOT, especially in the summer. Frogg Toggs get my vote, but in pouring rain, it can run down the inside of your gaiters eventually and into your boot - you just get wet out there.

SGT Rock
06-25-2006, 03:55
Usually won't wear them in the summer, my packa covers low enough that it keeps my shorts covered when I wear it. So then only my bare legs are exposed to get wet - wet skin dries faster than wet cloth so no sense in wearing rain pants over bare skin unless it is cold. Even in the summer on the AT in the south you can get those cold, cold rains.

T-BACK
06-25-2006, 08:22
In the summer months I use a "rain skirt" made from a drawstring type trash bag. I just cut off the bottom and slip a cordlock on the drawstring to cinch it around my waist. A lightweight nylon jacket in case the rain is very cold and a folding umbrella protect my torso. The umbrella is a dollar store folding model. I place the handle through a piece of shockcord on my packstrap and rest the umbrella on my hat. This holds it in place and frees up my hands so I can still use my poles. This configuration allows the umbrella to rotate when it catches on brush and it usually it just spins free of snags. Good luck.

Spock
06-25-2006, 22:19
I like a rain cape - no pants if it's warm. It covers the pack and there is none of that 'wet back' issue. A cape works better in the wind than a poncho.

Just Jeff
06-25-2006, 22:33
A cape works better in the wind than a poncho.

Could you explain this a little? Why does it work better? How is it different? How is your frontside protected? Does it have a hood?

I assume you're talking about the Gatewood Cape or something similar. I've had a hoodless poncho on the drawing table for a while, but it sounds like some sort of hoodless cape might be a workable idea instead. TIA.

Tinker
06-25-2006, 22:55
Could you explain this a little? Why does it work better? How is it different? How is your frontside protected? Does it have a hood?

I assume you're talking about the Gatewood Cape or something similar. I've had a hoodless poncho on the drawing table for a while, but it sounds like some sort of hoodless cape might be a workable idea instead. TIA.

Here's a rain cape:http://www.integraldesigns.com/product_detail.cfm?id=824&CFID=7378347&CFTOKEN=43005992&mainproducttypeid=1

This is the only commercially available one I know of (aside from the Gatewood Cape). Quite different. I don't know if this is what Just Jeff had in mind.

vaporjourney
06-26-2006, 08:03
Do any of you poncho users also carry around a jacket for wind/water protection or additional warmth around camp in the summertime? I've often thought I didn't want a poncho because after setting up camp, it would be awkward wearing a huge poncho around to stay dry if out of tent.

Tinker
06-27-2006, 21:10
Do any of you poncho users also carry around a jacket for wind/water protection or additional warmth around camp in the summertime? I've often thought I didn't want a poncho because after setting up camp, it would be awkward wearing a huge poncho around to stay dry if out of tent.

A windshirt and light fleece vest (or synthetic vest) go a long way to keeping warm in the summer at higher elevations. In the White Mountains, I always carry these items along with my poncho/tarp when doing light overnighters/weekends.