View Full Version : Hat?!

RagingHampster
03-13-2003, 11:11
I can't seem to find the hat I want.

Tried the following:
- Ballcaps
- OR Sonora Sombrero
- Australian Outback Wax Safari Hat

I need ear, neck, and cheek/nose protection. Waterproofness a plus, but needs some means of breatheability (ie mesh panels).

What do others use?

SGT Rock
03-13-2003, 11:37
I have used this hat for years. It is made by Nike and is a normal baseball type hat, except the material is the same as My North Face wicking hat. Even in the hot summer swamps of LA it helps to keep my head cool. It isn't waterproof, but it does do a nice job when worn under my hood on my rain jacket of keeping the water off my glasses. In my experience you won't need a lot of sun shade on the AT, so I don't think you need a sombrero or boonie hat.

Happy
03-13-2003, 11:38
I just use a nylon ballcap...it doubles to keep the hood of my marmot precip straight and I use it to wipe the sweat off my face. Putting the wet cap on my head has a cooling effect on my body.

It is effective in light rain and you just use a bandana (101 uses) under your cap to shield your neck, etc. from the sun.

Don
03-13-2003, 11:56
I found a hat I like at a surplus store...its a military style bucket hat..brim is narrow so it might not give your nose the protection you want...its made of a nylon cotten material..very light weight and has little "ports" to allow venting...best of all I paid about 8 bucks for it.. I bought after getting my ears sunburned hiking in Colorado....the baseball cap didn't do much for me!

On the other hand, if its only sun protection you want, visit a wal-mart or similar store and get one of their straw hats..comes in a lot of styles so you should find one that fits ..again, they're ususally less than 10 bucks ....

Blue Jay
03-13-2003, 12:02
OK, that's it Mr. Hampster. Are you going to ask us what kind of shoe strings you should use?

RagingHampster
03-13-2003, 13:06
LOL, I'm just wondering what others use. I'm obviously a gearhead and continuously tune my equipment. I feel that hereing what others use and why can sometimes help me to tweek my gear and every once in a while find products I never knew existed.

I'd really like some type of wide-brimmed hat. 50% of my hiking is on the Metacomet-Monadnock trail in central/western mass, and there are alot of areas that are clear-cut, or go through fields/meadows. I burn easy, and hate sun-lotion. I currently use the ballcap bandana routine as happy mentioned above, it works ok, but I'd like something a little more permanent.

Currently I carry a 2oz poncho and 9oz umbrella. I may ditch the umbrella if I get a widebrimmed waterproof hat.

rumbler
03-13-2003, 13:36
REI Outlet has an oil cloth big brim hat on sale for $20. It's a big sucker and it does shed water - I like it because even in windy conditions the brim keeps my glasses basically dry.

The drawback is when I look up the back of the brim tends to nail my pack. I'm thinking about shaving the back down by about an inch.

http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?storeId=8001&catalogId=40000008001&productId=47601532&parent_category_rn=22000364

Then again it's not very breathable.

Blue Jay
03-13-2003, 14:20
I have always used an ExOfficio baseball hat that comes with the Lawrence of Arabia flap around the sides and back. I love to hike the southern AT after the thrus go through, during azalia/rhodadendron season. Hiking over the balds in the summer sun with an almost bald head is asking for pain. This hat is white when I buy, it but soon becomes my favorite color, dirtbag. My beloved old hat washed off my head in a blasting thunderstorm, at night, on Mahosic Arm last summer. I immediately replaced it. Oh yea, get the flat shoestrings

RagingHampster
03-13-2003, 15:41
Check this out...

http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?productId=4063270&storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008000&langId=-1

I'm thinking of trying it out...

I am skeptical about how much neck protection it offers though...

Don
03-13-2003, 15:50
This is pretty much the same hat as the military surplus "Boonie Hat" (though I called it a bucket hat) in a previous post...

Peaks
03-13-2003, 17:17
I find that a bandana on my head works just fine for me. And when I don't want to wear it, it is stored in my pocket.

Keep it simple.

SkyKing
03-13-2003, 19:26
Come on RH..you woose. Try a little sunblock! When the sun reflects off my head the Keyhole satellites think there's a missile launch!! :) I've used SPF 15 for years with no problem. Now rain and cold is a different question.

Sleepy the Arab
03-14-2003, 00:25
I'm surprised no one has suggested a pith helmet. I know of at least one repeat hiker who swore by them...

Redbeard
03-14-2003, 12:33
Native Americans wore doo-rags, Pirates wore doo-rags, even Einstein wore a doo-rag! Only problem is you get a tan line across your eyebrow. Need a warm hat for cold nights though, skullcaps and burgalar hats are packable and warm.

SkyKing
03-14-2003, 17:59
For cold weather I wear a military "cold weather insulated helmet liner". I have very short hair and little to none on top. This is the warmest thing I've EVER had on my head..bar none. I've been on a tractor all day with a wind chill below 0 and my head was warm. Not sure why as they're VERY thin. Not sure of the weight..maybe 3 or 4 oz.

smokymtnsteve
03-14-2003, 18:07

Ramblin' Rose
03-15-2003, 14:06
Have you looked at the Tilley hats? There a welcome companion to many. Gives you the needed ear, neck and nose protection and they have some new models that incorporate mesh into the crown of the hat.

www.tilley.com

pobbie
03-17-2003, 22:39
I'm with Don on this one. Get a boonie hat. The cotton wears out quicker than the NYCO (nylon cotton blend) and is water resistant. I have had a few and have no complaints. even with no sunscreen on my face I didn't burn fishing, hiking, or skiing. GO WITH THE BOONIE!!!!!!:banana (just couldn't pass up the banana)

MedicineMan
04-28-2003, 06:29
Seems like anytime of year I've got the Sahala Sombrero and a MEC copy of the OR Fahrenheit fleece hat...both weigh little but add up to good coverage heat/rain.

Rebel, with a Cause!
04-28-2003, 08:49
I use the Marmot Precip Hat. I wear glasses, so I needed a hat to keep the rain out of my face. I also seem to get very warm on the top of my head when hiking uphill. So I found the Marmot Precip, which is waterproof, has a plastic bill and breathes very well. It weighes almost nothing and is easy to pack away. Mine is yellow so I can find it easy.

So far it is the best hat i have tried.