PDA

View Full Version : new hiker with a few questions

cantfoolthequeen
06-25-2006, 09:25
i'm just curious about some specifics for a short hike, only about 2 weeks. i'm an 18 year old female, and probably will be travelling with another 20 year old female. i was just wondering about things like getting your period on the trail... how exactly do you handle that? what do you do with the trash? i've never been on overnight hikes before so really any advice you could give me on staying safe would be great also. we're probably going to be hiking in august through massachusetts and then however far we can get before we run out of time before school starts again.
for clothing in late summer, are shorts ok to wear, or are ticks too much of a risk?
another question i had was about hiking alone for 2 weeks, is it completely unreasonable? i was considering it but i wasn't sure if it would be too dangerous.

thank you so much, anything else you think i should know would be great too :)

Frolicking Dinosaurs
06-25-2006, 11:18
Look at these threads for:
Ways to deal with your period - http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=11624

Females hiking alone - http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=12234

MA is a boggy and buggy area -
Insect control - http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=15416

Wonder
06-25-2006, 14:17
DO't worry so much about your period......IF you continue to get it....I used OB and packed it out. BUt I only had one eriod in 3 months, and I had it when I started on Springer.....stopped getting it after that. Didn't get it again until I was of trail for a month!

cheetah
06-26-2006, 02:00
Although you most likely not run into any trouble, you are wise to be cautious about hiking alone. It also depends on where you will be hiking. Last summer, we ran into loads of women hiking alone or in pairs on the AT. I will get blasted for this, but carry pepper spray in a cargo pocket of your shorts - you will feel better just for having it.

Shorts are fine, zip offs are better, and you would appreciate a set of gaiters for added tick control.

I took a backpack training where they showed us how to make up 'kits' containing a tampon, a small amount of folded toilet paper a wet wipe and a snack sized ziplock contained in a second snack sized ziplock (so your trash ends up double bagged). Of course you have to pack it out. This year, my daughter and I are choosing to not deal with periods at all by going on the pill and skipping over the placebos entirely so we will not have periods while hiking. yeehaw!

Have fun!

cantfoolthequeen
06-26-2006, 14:13
Although you most likely not run into any trouble, you are wise to be cautious about hiking alone. It also depends on where you will be hiking. Last summer, we ran into loads of women hiking alone or in pairs on the AT. I will get blasted for this, but carry pepper spray in a cargo pocket of your shorts - you will feel better just for having it.

thanks! yeah i'm definitely planning on getting pepper spray because my mom is insisting, and i think i'd feel better anyways.

Cuffs
06-26-2006, 14:30
As Cheetah mentioned, the birth control can be a good thing. I happen to use DepoProvera... (the injection every 3 months). The odd, (but I like it) side effect is that after continued use, it stops your cycle altogether. Been on it for over 10 years now, loving it!!! (now, that effect does take away your "excuses" though!)

corentin
06-26-2006, 15:15
Any particular pepper spray that you would advise?

Frolicking Dinosaurs
06-26-2006, 19:20
Just get bear spray and use if for all preditors that need spraying. Luckily, the likelihood that you will return wth a full canister is pretty high.

Cuffs
06-27-2006, 11:47
Any particular pepper spray that you would advise?

the pepper spray thats available to the public (vs. law enforcement) is quite weak. I have used it on dogs (being chased on my bicycle) and it seems to work, but I have (dont ask how) accidentally sprayed myself with it, and, while it did sting, I wasnt overpowered by it...

If you can find someone to purchase the "good" stuff that lawenforcement folks use, now youre talking! that stuff will incapacitate just about anything! And make sure its the foam form (not the spray) because if you arent in the right direction when you discharge it, the wind will just blow it right back at you! (trust me on that one!)

Cuffs
06-27-2006, 21:28
Be careful about pepper spray/mace in Mass. It is illegal for an individal to own/carry/use/posess...

As long as you have an FID card, you can purchase and carry pepper spray in Mass. (from I have heard anyway...)

MACE is a trade name, once belonging to Smith & Wesson. It is not the same thing as pepper spray. MACE contains either CS or CN gas as it main chemical defense. The problem with MACE is that it takes a second chemical re-agent to deactive it. Unlike pepper spray, which only needs a good thorough rinsing with water. (thats why law enforcement has discontinued using MACE)

I dont plan on carrying, so its not a big deal to me... If your fears are eased by carrying, by all means do!

cantfoolthequeen
06-29-2006, 12:33
yeah in mass you have to get a permit from the police station and i think you have to take a class too

LuTotten
07-06-2006, 15:51
One more thing you need to consider when hiking with your period, carry a seperate bag you can hang your used items in since you'll be packing them out. As gross as it seems the smell can attract animals.