PDA

View Full Version : Oct. Section Hike SNP

adh24
06-26-2006, 09:56
Ok have a preliminary itinerary put together. Mind you I only did this with the aid of Rohland's site, Google Earth, and the PDF version of the park map. Still need to get the map set and/or guide.

October 17th to Oct 20th

NOBO Skyland --> US 522

Day#1
Skyland to Pass Mountain Hut (About 10.2 Miles)
Definite place to legally tent and a Hut to stay in if weather is inclement. Plus a water source.

Day#2
Pass Mountain Hut to either before Piney River Area or after Hog Back Overlook (About 9 to 11 miles). Not sure where the springs are to re-water. Will have to revise after getting maps.

Day#3
From wherever camp is the night before to Just past Jenkins Gap but before Compton Gap (about 10miles)

Day #4
From the night before to US 522 (About 7 miles)

So again this is very preliminary. Basically looking for some feedback. I chose my camp areas by just just seeing where the trail was about quarter mile from Skyline Drive. Any good sites to camp that anyone knows of would be nice or any thing that I am overlooking. PM's would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

The Solemates
06-26-2006, 10:05
sounds like fun. enjoy yourself!

rainmaker
06-26-2006, 21:55
Madame and I will be hiking in the same general area during Oct. We plan to go from Rockfish Gap to Harpers Ferry. Our planned schedule looks to be similar for the area you'll be hiking. Maybe we'll see each other.

Skyline
06-26-2006, 22:07
Day#2
Pass Mountain Hut to either before Piney River Area or after Hog Back Overlook (About 9 to 11 miles). Not sure where the springs are to re-water. Will have to revise after getting maps.

Day#3
From wherever camp is the night before to Just past Jenkins Gap but before Compton Gap (about 10miles)

Day #2: North of Hogback Overlook, beyond where some communication towers sit on the summit, there is a hang-glider launch point with a western view to the left of the AT. Hiking NOBO, just past that is a concrete marker identifying the intersection of a blue-blazed trail to the right leading less than a quarter mile down to a piped spring. On the way down this trail look to the left and you should see some flat areas for camping. The aforementioned viewpoint up near the AT contains rock benches that make a good place for dinner, sunsets, and breakfast.

Day #3: As you ascend the AT NOBO from Jenkins Gap, you'll pass a decent spring on the left. Its flow crosses the AT. Once you step over this small stream, about a tenth of a mile further north, start looking to the left for some flat land where a couple tents would fit. Comes with a nearby view. If you get to Compton Peak (next concrete marker), you've gone too far--backtrack and look closer.

Check with the Park re: water sources that time of year. Until the last couple days we were heading into drought mode. That threat is gone for now but could return.

Best maps by far are PATC's. Go to www.patc.net to order.

Happy trails!