PDA

View Full Version : Resupply- Davenport gap to Springer Mountain

Riddler
06-26-2006, 12:37
Leaving for this summer's section hike from Davenport gap to Springer in a couple of weeks. Is it reasonable to hike the Smokies southbound without a resupply? I use an MSR pocket rocket. Where can I get canister fuel at? Most of the reports I have read are thru hikers in the spring what is the summer like on this leg of the AT? I appreciate any advice.

Riddler

gregdog
06-26-2006, 15:19
I just came back from GSMNP and it was very crowded, most of the thru hikers had come and gone, but there were a lot of groups: camps, scouts, families.....Fontana Village had fuel, not on the trail but only a short drive from the Dam. One hiker we met went from Springer to Clingman Dome, said it was 160 mi. I know in planning my trip the regulations about camping in the park seemed tough, but after meeting the rangers up there I can tell you to have no worries, they are great and understand that things happen that change plans.

bulldog49
06-26-2006, 22:02
I avoid GSMNP in the summer like the plague. I would start at Fontana and go south and do the Smokies in late fall or winter. But if you do decide to start at Davenport Gap you should have no problem making it through the park in 5 days.

bulldog49
06-26-2006, 22:40
Also, you can find canisters at the NOC and Walasi-Yi.

Max Power
06-27-2006, 17:25
Going through the Smokies is very doable without ressuply. Fontana does have the fuel you will need. If you don't like hitching, or seem to not find a ride into the village, you can call the village and they will pick you up for $2.
Stop by and see me at Muddy Trax, it right next to the outfitter.

Riddler
07-03-2006, 11:44
Thanks for the advice. I porbably pick to hike this section in July but I have no choice in my off time. Thanks for the advice.

Jack Tarlin
07-05-2006, 11:08
It is certainly possible to hike thru GSMNP without re-supplying. It should take you 5-7 days, with the toughest day being your first.

I'm not sure how long you're allowing for your trip, but all things considered, if you're making average time, with OK weather, its should take you from 20-25 days to get from Davenport to Springer.

Cannister fuel is available in Gatlinburg (if you leave the Park at Newfound Gap); at Fontana Village near Fontana Dam; at the Nantahala Outdoor Center; in Franklin, TN (accessed from the road crossing at Winding Stair Gap); and at the Walasi center at Neels Gap.

There's a good Outfitter in Gatlinburg; a small one at Fontana Dam; an OK one at the NOC; an OK one in Franklin; and an excellent one at Neels Gap.

Any problems or emergencies in this section, I'd call Ron Haven in Franklin at 1-800-401 0072. In addition to owning two very hiker-friendly motels, he also provides shuttles in and out of town and to nearby locations, and is a great friend to section and long-distance hikers.

Have a great trip!