PDA

View Full Version : Penny alky stove -- I’m scared I’ll lose the penny?

sirbingo
06-26-2006, 13:03
What’s up Y’all,

Currently I am using the Penny Alcohol stove as my alky stove of choice.
Seams to work for me. However, I am always a little paranoid that I’ll lose the penny in the deep woods. :eek:

My question is: Is there any way to get around having the separate penny part of the stove. Maybe a screw set up? Now that I think about it I think I once came across a stove that used a spring from a ball point pen…anybody know what I’m talking about?

SGT Rock
06-26-2006, 13:04
Make a stove that ain't pressurized, then you can also cut the weight of the penny.

sirbingo
06-26-2006, 13:15
But I like my pressurized stove.

SGT Rock
06-26-2006, 13:20
Well look for flat pebbles if you ever loose your penny

sirbingo
06-26-2006, 13:25
I guess a flat pebble would work...

However, I've just found the ballpoint pen spring setup I was talking about. http://zenstoves.net/ConstructionStep2-FuelPort.htm

Sgt. Rock,

I know you're a big alcohol stove builder and tester....have you ever tried out the peeny stove? Have you ever looked into its efficiency?

SGT Rock
06-26-2006, 13:28
Sort of. The one I looked at was the same basic stove except it used a screw in place of the penny.

Anyway, didn't see much difference in the performance betwen it and the standard Pepsi Stove. The main things that influence the performace is pot height above the stove and windscreen design. You tweek that for your pot and you should be golden.

Nightwalker
06-26-2006, 21:38
Make a stove that ain't pressurized, then you can also cut the weight of the penny.
Just for the record, I made a 16 ounce cup of coffee today with an Ion stove and 1/2 ounce of alcohol. That's amazing!

No titanium, so I made a 1.5" tall hardware cloth pot support. I made the windscreen tight around the pot, with 16 1/4" holes at the bottom, and 8 1.5" up. I'd seen the cone stove, and they used half as many at the top as they did at the bottom.

Anybody else done any experiments with hole numbers and found a good setup?

The windscreen was made out of flashing, like the cone system or Tin Man's setup.

StarLyte
06-26-2006, 22:02
Just for the record, I made a 16 ounce cup of coffee today with an Ion stove and 1/2 ounce of alcohol. That's amazing!

No titanium, so I made a 1.5" tall hardware cloth pot support. I made the windscreen tight around the pot, with 16 1/4" holes at the bottom, and 8 1.5" up. I'd seen the cone stove, and they used half as many at the top as they did at the bottom.

The windscreen was made out of flashing, like the cone system or Tin Man's setup.

No I haven't seen anything like that Frank but I sure would like to. Why don't you bring it to the Gathering with you?

Nightwalker
06-26-2006, 22:46
No I haven't seen anything like that Frank but I sure would like to. Why don't you bring it to the Gathering with you?
Anything to see you again, beauty queen. :sun

SGT Rock
06-27-2006, 06:36

I like a large hole punch and make them only at the bottom half way around. This way in a bad wind I can change the windscreen orientation to the wind to change how much gets to the stove. I let the opening at the top do the rest of the work.

Glad you had a good experience with the stove design, I figure at less than one ounce after trimming the windscreen to the desired lenth and all it makes it one of the lightest stove options out there, especially when you consider how little fuel you need to carry to make it work.

Now back to dang paperwork.

Nightwalker
06-27-2006, 12:08
Now back to dang paperwork.
The life of an E8/E9 in any branch of the service. At least the 7s get to work with the troops. I used to really love those salty old chiefs. They don't seem so old now...