PDA

View Full Version : Backpack Fitting

Cuffs
06-26-2006, 14:23
I'll have some travel time over the next few months and will be heading wherever the road takes me.

What are some of the best gear stores for getting a good fitting for a new pack? (knowledgeable staff, quality gear, wide selection...)

Thanks for your input!

vaporjourney
06-26-2006, 15:35
Not sure about what sort of stores you have in Alabama, but REI is probably the only national store that I know of
which will have gear for most of your backpacking needs. However the pricing certainly isn't the best, but staff can be great depending on the store. I'm sure most will recommend doing research online (whiteblaze is the best resource!), and ordering from one of dozens of great stores.

These are the most well known online shops, where I've gotten most of my gear:

www.campmor.com
www.sierratradingpost.com

I'm sure others can give more knowledgable replies, especially since I'm relatively new to backpacking myself. good luck.

general
06-26-2006, 17:26
mountain crossings, on the AT, at Neel Gap, in georgia. second to none. they carry osprey, ULA, Dana, mystery ranch, gregory, mountain hardware, and probably one or two more brands that i'm not thinking of. they have a quality staff of long distance hikers. well worth the drive from AL.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
06-26-2006, 19:17
A second vote for Mountan Crossings.

Skidsteer
06-26-2006, 19:49
Make that three.

@ 4 hour drive from Birmingham. And the AT runs through it, to boot. Hint, hint.

pedal
06-26-2006, 20:46
I went to REI in Atlanta and looked at, played with, and made decisions about gear but ordered most of my gear from either Campmor.com, or backcountry.com. Sometimes you get lucky and the clerks are knowledgeable enough at REI to help out. Other times, not so. Mountain Crossings has it all I suppose, great gear selection and knowledgeable staff.

SS

Cuffs
06-28-2006, 23:09
Sounds like a roadtrip!!!!! Any one else from N or E Alabama want to head over?

Wonder
06-29-2006, 00:47
Make that three.

@ 4 hour drive from Birmingham. And the AT runs through it, to boot. Hint, hint.

Make that 4......... I got screwed by REI. I went there about 2 years before I hiked. I told them that I had no idea what I was doing.....but that I was going to hike the AT and I needed a pack to train with and use on the hike. Well, I needed to change out my pack(one gold star for REI...changed it right out!), because it fit me so bad that I got nerve damage in my back after 300 miles!!!! It was like hauling a chuck wagon up every mountain. My best advice....... go talk to "Real" long distance hikers. THey will always lead you in the right direction!

heyman62
06-29-2006, 06:45
EMS in New England can be very helpful. There were several experienced hikers that worked there and fitted me properly with a new pack last year. Wherever you go...make sure you talk to an experinced hiker. any store can have a newbie or temporary worker that can mess you up. After several long hikes this year already, my pack needed some minor adjustments. I did these adjustments myself because EMS taught me how to do it. We do have REI around here, but at the other end of the state and they are more expensive.

Tim Rich
06-29-2006, 09:20
I'll have some travel time over the next few months and will be heading wherever the road takes me.

What are some of the best gear stores for getting a good fitting for a new pack? (knowledgeable staff, quality gear, wide selection...)

Thanks for your input!

It's been a while since I've been to either store, but the Alabama Outdoors in Homewood had knowledgeable folks there, and Rogers Trading Company (formerly downtown but now on 280 in Inverness) used to have a good selection and good staff.

The closest REI in Atlanta from B'ham is the one on the NE expressway (I-85) at Clairmont. It's on the southbound access road, so just exit at Clairmont, take the U under the overpass to the other side and it's on your right in about a quarter mile.

Good Luck,

Tim

Cuffs
06-29-2006, 16:31
Thanks Tim! Ive been to the AO stores (3 of them). While they are "nice" people, they dont seem to know a whole lot or be able to answer my questions. (Even as a novice hiker/packer, I think I know more than most of their staff, and thats just from what Ive learned here on WB!)

I think an overnite trip to Mountain Crossings is in my future!

cannonball
06-29-2006, 16:50
Mountain crossings is indeed a top flight outfitter and most of the staff are very knowledgable. I would caution thought that you seek out a gentleman refered to as cornbread.

Tim Rich
06-29-2006, 17:37
Thanks Tim! Ive been to the AO stores (3 of them). While they are "nice" people, they dont seem to know a whole lot or be able to answer my questions. (Even as a novice hiker/packer, I think I know more than most of their staff, and thats just from what Ive learned here on WB!)

I think an overnite trip to Mountain Crossings is in my future!

You'll not go wrong with that. If your travels or work ever get you down to Montgomery, there's another local outfitter, Southern Trails, that's very good. http://www.southerntrailsinc.com/ They've been there a long time and they take the time to make sure you're getting what you need. He's had some thruhikers working for him from time to time as well.

Take Care,

Tim

Cuffs
09-03-2006, 20:31
Its off to Mountain Crossings!

Work has been good lately, in both allowing me to take a few days off and able to (hopefull) afford a new pack! Leaving Birmingham in the morning (9/4), stopping in Anniston for lunch then via Atlanta then to MtX.

I cant wait! I am soooo excited! Thanks to all of you for your input and suggestions.

I hope to be able to share the good news of a pack purchase upon my return. Wish me luck!:banana

general
09-03-2006, 21:04
cornbread is gone for a while. he'll be back sometime later this month, so talk to winton or cola monkey for your pack fitting. heald may be around, but he's not working there at present, but if he is there, he is a boundless supply of information. you can stay at thier hostel if you want to overnight there at Neel Gap.

Cuffs
09-04-2006, 10:04
Thanks General! Ive been in touch with Winton, he's going to help "analyze" my gear, and help me find a new pack. I plan to stay over a couple nites before I head back home to the "real" world...

Cuffs
09-05-2006, 15:23
WOW!!!!!!!
These guys (& gals) rock!!!! I'll post more when I get home, but I cant even begin to say enough nice things about these folks! They (Nate) spent almost 4 hours going over my gear. Its been a great trip so far and WELL worth every penny!!

Skidsteer
09-05-2006, 18:00
WOW!!!!!!!
These guys (& gals) rock!!!! I'll post more when I get home, but I cant even begin to say enough nice things about these folks! They (Nate) spent almost 4 hours going over my gear. Its been a great trip so far and WELL worth every penny!!

Told you so. ;) :)

Cuffs
09-06-2006, 15:43
Man, after such a great time at MtnX, I really hated to leave!

Where do I begin?

I went there to see Winton and his staff in hopes of getting a new (& lighter) pack (currently a Gregory Shasta @ 5+ #). I was also hoping to change out some of my gear hoping to lighten my load.

Met Subman (03 I think) my first night there in the hostel and had the place to myself the second nite!!

Nate spent over 4 hours with me sorting out my "stuff", using what I could of what I already had, and making suggestions for new, more multi-purpose, lighter gear. I was glad to know that I wasnt too far off, and was able to use much of what I already owned.

Knowing full well, they could have sold me a brand spankin new pack, they didnt even try... Nate did such a good job and getting my gear weight down, that (at this time) its not really neccessary to get a new one. Granted, I'll never be an ultra-lighter, but Im happy with where Im at (between 30 and 35# with food.) I promised to work out some issues with some of my "must take" gear and hopefully that will shave off a few more pounds.

I'll be posting my gear list and weights here soon, so that you all too can pick through it and help me shed a few pounds. (I know!! I plan on getting rid of the Shasta, just not right now, but probably when I pass thru MtnX on my thru in the spring)

Thanks again for letting me know about Mountain Crossings, and I know I'll be referring others to them for sure!!

SouthMark
09-06-2006, 16:28
Wish I had seen your post sooner. I have been toying around with the idea of heading over to Mountain Crossings myself, in fact I just may this weekend. I think that I could use the trip as sanity maintenance. I have been out of action with bypass surgery in my right leg and I have got to do something other than lie around watching TV. I'm going crazy.

Sly
09-08-2006, 15:54
I'm surprised they didn't try to sell you a new pack, I would have! 2175 miles x 3+ extra lbs is how much? Lots of stress on hips, knees, legs and feet!

When you go back to the area to do the Approach Trail seriously check out a ULA Catalyst or even a Circuit.

http://www.ula-equipment.com/catalyst.htm

Mike & Gloria Walsh
09-08-2006, 17:12
The folks at Mtx are really nice. We have bought gear form them in the past. We have bought most of our gear from REI. We were fitted by Andrew for out Opreys packs. He had to order a small one for me then I went back for the fitting. Mike my husband and I will depart from Springer for Maine Feb 2007. This has been a long time dream and we have everything we need except warmer jackets and windstropper gloves. We are retired so we can hike as long as it takes.

Alhiker Gal. We live in Auburn and you can find us as Toesocks on trailjournals.com. Send me a post we go to B'ham freguently.

Toesocks
GAME 2007:sun