PDA

View Full Version : Partnership Shelter

Former Admin
09-10-2002, 05:55
Info, questions, comments, experiences (good or bad) regarding - Partnership Shelter

Past/Present hikers - what can future hikers expect here? Have any good stories or memories from here?

Future hikers - any questions?

Related Links: ?

Stats: ?

Jumpstart
09-12-2002, 11:51
I think we had good stories about this shelter, but the two cases of Coronoa and 5 large pizzas we ate here seem to cloud the memory a bit. This place was terrific, a free hot shower, plumbing at the visitor center, pizza delivery and a relatively easy hitch to town for the extras. The shelter was huge, had a nice picnic area and even a clothesline and sink for washing clothes/dishes etc...awesome spot to hit before going through Atkins...

Whistler
09-05-2005, 21:24
This one seems almost like a gimmick. I'm just waiting for the PR campaign with a photo of Partnership and smiling, freshly-showered hikers. Everything you don't really need, clean, new, and conveniently located. How bizarre.
-Mark

neo
09-05-2005, 22:56
after a 25 mile day i still did not stay here,i hate crowds:cool: neo

Lone Wolf
09-06-2005, 07:30
Another ridiculous shelter.

Lone Wolf
10-09-2007, 22:27
alcoholic beverages are no longer allowed at the shelter. thank this years "class" for ****ing it up. hikers rule! :rolleyes:

Grampie
10-10-2007, 09:00
During my 2001 thru, after hearing all the talk about hot showers and pizza didn't know if I should believe it or not. Arrived to find a large crowd. Quite a few were not thru-hikers. Did pitch my tent, take a hot shower and ordered, with several others, a lot of stuff from the Italian resturant in town.
We were all sitting at the picnic table eating when a local came in with his dog. The dog decided to mark his teritory by peeing on several packs outside the shelter. Just another reason why dogs don't belong on the trail.

SawnieRobertson
10-10-2007, 10:18
Partnership Shelter is a good crossroads location. I live 5.1 miles from there and am available for rides into Marion or rides down to Sugar Grove Diner. Often I pick up whoever is standing outside near VA16, but they usually are the ones who have been given the task of awaiting the Pizza guy. Those who would like to (or think they would like to) have me give them rides should contact me at [email protected] in advance. Also, there are some great cabs available in Marion, as easy to reach as calling from the phone at Headquarters, which is the location of Partnership.--Kinnickinic

1azarus
10-10-2007, 11:51
...the hot shower thing? the water sure was cold mid-september. they do sell a disposable paper "towel" and candy bars in the visitor's center.

littledragon
04-17-2008, 07:31
Can anyone tell me if you are allowed to camp (tent or hammock) around the Partnership Shelter?

Lone Wolf
04-17-2008, 07:52
Can anyone tell me if you are allowed to camp (tent or hammock) around the Partnership Shelter?

you're not supposed to but...

whitefoot_hp
04-17-2008, 21:26
you're not supposed to but...
'Partnership' shelter sounds like one you would know all about, he he. :D

Plodderman
07-14-2008, 21:15
Had a greatt time at Partnership Shelter (June 8 2008). It was a full house and I enjoyed the shower even though it was cold. Ran into a Ridge runnner a couple of days later and he said they were having some trouble with the shower and hot water. Steady stream of people late into the evening until people were sleeping in tents.

Auntie Mame
07-15-2008, 11:09
Stayed at Partnership this spring, set up tents on grass, just took them down fairly promptly in the morning. Cold shower, turned that down!

Plodderman
08-02-2008, 15:04
We had people tent also so it does not seem to be much of a problem.

Lone Wolf
11-05-2008, 12:29
Another ridiculous shelter.

alcoholic beverages are no longer allowed at the shelter. thank this years "class" for ****ing it up. hikers rule! :rolleyes:

i heard it's gonna be torn down soon

Blissful
11-05-2008, 12:46
i heard it's gonna be torn down soon

Probably for the better. Too much partying.

Plodderman
11-19-2008, 17:18
Hopefully not but it does seem to bring out the best in some.

To many rangers, to close to the road but I had a nice time there with many good people. No alcohol, drugs but lots of pizza.

TexasEd
08-23-2010, 17:30
Warm shower, potable water, road access.

Nice to visit but wouldn't want to stay there.

Mountain Mojo
08-05-2012, 21:57
Camping is permitted 1/2 mile from Shelter...

Not Sunshine
08-05-2012, 23:48
uh, yeah, I'd like to make a suggestion:

could you make the ascent up the next hill north of partnership flat??? that'd be great! thanks! xox

Del Q
08-06-2012, 20:22
My experience was great.

Got there right at sunset, nasty storm, moved about as fast as this 53 year old can NOBO ............lightning and thunder are great motivation..........everything was shut down, hung all of my gear under cover of the ranger station, had a few sips of my 12 year old Jameson (sorry law), just as advertised, phone, menu.................40 minutes later, fresh hot pizza and wings

............hike up the next morning to the beginning of the balds was awesome

Grayson Highlands are amazing..........good AT memories

WILLIAM HAYES
08-07-2012, 00:28
liked it especiaily the pizza and shower