PDA

View Full Version : AT from Gainsville

stevec
03-14-2003, 04:13
Hi,

I'm taking off to attempt a thru hike in just a couple of weeks, oddly I've done alot of planning but somehow the entire part about exactly how I'm going to get to the trail sort of slipped by me.

I'm going to ride Amtrack through Atlanta to Gainsville but I am kind of stuck on how to make it the rest of the way to Springer. Wingfoots site talks about taking a cab from there but I'm hoping there is a better option.

Any ideas ?

Peaks
03-14-2003, 08:30
Like you, I was hoping for something better than a cab ride. Before taking Amtrak south last spring, I called around for a shuttle. It could not hook up with anyone. So I paid the cab fare.

I suggest that you get the shuttle list from ATC and make some phone calls. Maybe you will have better luck than I did.

Jitterbug
03-14-2003, 09:21
We got a list of shuttlers from the ATC. The first person we called was able to pick us up and drive us to Amicalola. He charged us $50. for the 2 of us. He did ask that we take MARTA from the airport out to where it was easier for him to park - that was innexpensive and easy. We also mailed him fuel and a knife which wasn't allowed on the plane. And he stopped by REI on the way to the park anyway.

Just call the ATC and ask them to mail you the list. Since you are leaving so soon, maybe they could fax or email it to you instead. I'm sure someone on the list will work out.. and probably for just the cost of gas or something. Most of the people on the list were hikers or hiker friendly types who want to help out.

Good luck!

Moose2001
03-14-2003, 11:30
Stevec..there are shuttlers that will pick you up at the Gainesville train station. I'm coming in on 3/23 and have that arrangement. Send me a note and I'll give you details.

max patch
03-14-2003, 13:59
Email the Georgia AT Club Info & Education Director and ask for the General Information Packet which contains detailed information about shuttlers who provide transportation to Springer or Amicalola:

[email protected]