PDA

View Full Version : any STEEP AND CHEAP fans out there??

RITBlake
06-26-2006, 21:23
a few months ago a friend of mine turned me on to steepandcheap.com How it works is, every day at midnight (mountain time) they put up one new product. It could be a headlamp, a jacket, sunglasses etc. It varies. Sometimes its backpacking stuff, sometimes its sking stuff.

There is only a limited amount of said item but the prices are rock bottom. Princeton headlamps were going the other night for less then 10 bucks and Leki Ultralights went a month ago for less then 50.

Its worth checking in to from time to time.

The Link: http://www.steepandcheap.com (http://www.steepandcheap.com/)

RITBlake
06-26-2006, 21:25
For example, today the product is the Sierra Designs Hyperlight Tent for 170 bucks.

max patch
06-26-2006, 21:45
Thanks for posting; that looks like a site to check daily.

I check woot.com daily; same type of deal except it is not limited to outdoor gear.

MisterSweetie
06-26-2006, 21:58
that page is one of my (4) homepages. w00t too. I have bought quite a few things there. Two pair of Smith sunglasses, a moonstone softshell, camelbak, etc. Great stuff.

the stuff is typically seasonal... just as the season is going out, they sell off stuff. But now it seems to be general stuff. Today the Hyperlight 3, a few days ago the Hyperlight 2.

I love it.

aroth87
06-27-2006, 14:10
Yea, I picked up the Leki poles a few months ago. Its great, every morning when I wake up I check SAC and woot. Sometimes I try to stay up and see what the new item is, but having to get up at 6 every morning usually means I wait until morning instead of staying up until 1 AM. I was really pleased with their service. Its run by backcountry.com in case anyone was wondering.

Adam

Ewker
06-27-2006, 16:04
I picked up a Patagonia down jacket off their Steep and Cheap email a yr ago. Dang good deal

hikerjohnd
06-28-2006, 16:56
I knew of woot.com - thanks for the heads up on this site. Anyone know of other sites like these?

g8trh8tr
06-29-2006, 10:38
I like SteepandCheap as well. Snagged several nice items there, my last purchase being a Mountain Hardwear Epic for like 40 bucks. I didn't know about woot, I will add it to my favorites.

max patch
06-29-2006, 11:43
I knew of woot.com - thanks for the heads up on this site. Anyone know of other sites like these?

In todays WSJ:

http://www.bitsdujour.com/

Discounted software. Try the program when you buy; don't have to pay until midnight.

http://www.yugster.com/

Gadgets

Don't know anything about them as I hadn't heard of them until this morning. There was another site listed for daily deals on jeweley which I didn't save the url for.

Lanthar Mandragoran
06-29-2006, 13:27
S$C is great... when I have spare money... it's how I fell in love with my TNF trail running shoes...

wacbzz
06-30-2006, 09:56
Moonstone Desert Rock pants on steepandcheap today. $15 - a great price. Since Moonstone went Chp 13, now is the time to buy their great stuff...:sun

BMRisko
07-02-2006, 09:50
Moonstone Desert Rock pants on steepandcheap today. $15 - a great price. Since Moonstone went Chp 13, now is the time to buy their great stuff...:sun

Sierra Trading Post had their Lucid 800-fill bags for $125. Those lasted about a day.

trlhiker
07-02-2006, 14:30
Those are some nice sites, are there any others out there?

sum41punk91
07-06-2006, 00:15
hey sorry i was just wondering what time this ran by cuz i checked it at midnight and it was the same... so is it gmt emt or what?

Frolicking Dinosaurs
07-06-2006, 00:27
The company is based in Utah so I'm betting it's PDT.

gsingjane
07-06-2006, 05:42
Does anyone know how to access the prior day's deals on S & C? Or once the 24 hour period is over, is the deal gone whether they sell out or not? I think there have been a few things where they didn't actually sell out that day, but I have never been able to go back and check once the day is over.

TIA,
Jane in CT

Roland
07-06-2006, 05:52
Does anyone know how to access the prior day's deals on S & C? Or once the 24 hour period is over, is the deal gone whether they sell out or not? I think there have been a few things where they didn't actually sell out that day, but I have never been able to go back and check once the day is over.

TIA,
Jane in CT
At the stroke of 2:00 AM (your time), the daily special changes and it's too late to order, even if it hasn't sold out.

You can, however, view previous offerings (but not purchase) by clicking on:
<Discuss>, <Back to topic list>

SAC is affiliated with www.backcountry.com (http://www.backcountry.com) . You can usually buy the same product at backcountry, but the price will be higher.

hikerjohnd
07-11-2006, 06:39
So I have been watching steepandcheap for a couple of weeks now and so far it seems all they have is sunglasses and t-shirts??? Is that all they offer or is there other gear that just has not come up yet?

gsingjane
07-11-2006, 08:27
Just bide your time. They do seem to go in streaks where they just offer one kind of thing day after day (like the sunglasses, if I see any more of those I'm going to screech!). But then all of a sudden they'll change and you'll see something really cool, then it'll be back to the watches <sigh>. The one time they had a watch I really wanted, I was running out the door leaving for a bp trip, of all things, and didn't get the chance to order it!!

But hang in there, it's only a second or two every day to look at it and you will catch a nifty deal one of these days, I promise.

Jane in CT

RITBlake
07-11-2006, 08:46
ya Janes got it right,

I think as someone mentioned a lot of this stuff is post-season. So usually around March and April you start to see a lot of ski and snowboard stuff. Just stick with it, it hasn't been a fantastic last couple weeks but pretty soon something really nice will come along. Thats the fun of steep and cheap.

orangebug
07-11-2006, 11:54
Not to hijack the thread, but there was a contest on Woot.Com this past weekend to make a map that was more similar to the location. The results were pretty funny, and many of us might enjoy the second prize winner.

http://www.woot.com/Blog/BlogEntry.aspx?BlogEntryId=1275

Best of Contest 80.

Bill...
(I would have pasted the picture if I knew how.)

Almost There
07-11-2006, 15:22
Things bought on Steep and Cheap:

Smith Sunglasses $29, Big Agnes Self Inflating Sleep Pad, $30, Kelty Light year 45 down bag $45,

Best deal I have seen: Marmot Helium Women's Down Bag(retail $369) Price on site was $169

Nixon watches are usually pretty cheap here too.

Also if you are on the east coast, they don't update until 3am, I have gone on at 6am in the past and they have already been sold out on some of the better items. However, it is a great website!

Almost There
07-11-2006, 15:36
I want that! any chance you want to sell?

Sorry, got it last year and it's my summer bag!

Tabasco
07-27-2006, 07:50
Mountain Hardwear Monkey Man jacket $ 60 bucks, grab one before there gone!!

frieden
07-27-2006, 08:38
I love steepandcheap.com! I look forward to the email every morning!

Just Jeff
07-27-2006, 11:02
Damn that was fast! And I wanted one! WAAAAHH!!

aroth87
07-27-2006, 19:09
I order a pair of TNF Cutbacks trail runners off of SAC the other day. Well, 2 pair actually, my order got a little messed up and they sent me two pairs. Anyway, they came today and they're great. Turns out the other pair fits my brother, so he bought the extras from me. Even getting two pair of shoes, shipped, they cost less less than 1 pair at retail price. Great website, I highly recommend it.

Adam