PDA

View Full Version : SnowPeak GigaPower stove fuel?

macleod7000
06-27-2006, 09:20
Question folks...

The instruction manual on the GigaPower GS-100 stove I bought recently is very specific in stating that the fuel canister to be used with this product MUST be a GigaPower Fuel Canister.

Quoting the instructions, "Reason: The valve configuration and pin length are different on fuel canisters from other manufacturers. The use of those cartidges may cause gas leaks and possible ignition of the gas, leading to fire or burns."

Is this factual, or just GigaPower's attempt to secure themselves more business? I'm wanting to avoid becoming a human fireball somewhere between here & Maine.

Thanks all.

Footslogger
06-27-2006, 09:46
It's all MARKETING ...

If the threads match (which they do) and you don't hear/smell any fuel leakage around the gasket you're good to go.

'Slogger

bulldog49
06-27-2006, 12:53
I've used the MSR canisters with my Giga and had no problems.

However, I think I get better performance from the Snowpeak canisters than the MSR, so I use Snowpeak when available.

Footslogger
06-27-2006, 12:55
Have never noticed any difference in performance among the different cannister fuel types ...but I do like those smaller snowpeak cannisters for shorter hikes.

'Slogger

Kerosene
06-27-2006, 12:58
I've successfully used the MSR, Snow Peak, and 100g JetBoil canisters with my GigaPower. The JetBoil seemed to "spurt" a bit when attaching or detaching, but I didn't experience any flame problems.

DGrav
06-27-2006, 17:28
I've used MSR, Snowpeak, and Jetboil 4 season blend. They all work fine.

The Jetboil 4 season blend seemed to boil quicker. But that may just be in my head.