PDA

View Full Version : Is Backpacker Magazine now sponsering WB?

The Solemates
06-27-2006, 10:16
just saw an add for them in our advertizing section.....

Ewker
06-27-2006, 10:55
just saw an add for them in our advertizing section.....

that is funny

Frolicking Dinosaurs
06-27-2006, 11:01
http://www.whiteblaze.net/index.php?page=company - they could purchase space... and it appears they have.

Ewker
06-27-2006, 11:03
good for WB but I still think it is funny since they are anything but a backpacking magazine (anymore)

papa john
06-27-2006, 11:05
Just to clarify this...it is not Backpacker Magazine that is running that ad, it is me. I sell subscriptions to the magazine and donate $5 from each subscription to WB.

TOW
06-27-2006, 11:52
well it's okay with me...........

The Solemates
06-27-2006, 18:23
Just to clarify this...it is not Backpacker Magazine that is running that ad, it is me. I sell subscriptions to the magazine and donate $5 from each subscription to WB.

ok...gotcha. it didnt look like a backpacker logo...

papa john
06-27-2006, 20:23
No problem, I just wanted everyone to be sure that they knew the facts.

Lugnut
06-27-2006, 23:18
Your efforts are appreciated, Papa John.
Do we get a pizza with that? Sorry, couldn't help myself. ;)

papa john
06-28-2006, 07:18
I could send you some coupons?

Alligator
06-28-2006, 08:12
I could send you some coupons?Does it have to be a bologne and provolone sub for WB to get the $5:confused: ?

papa john
06-28-2006, 09:35
You forgot the anchovies...

Ridge
07-07-2006, 18:21
Backpacker Magazine SUCKS.....I just got a 3 week notice they where cutting off their EMAIL Server (@Backpacker.com) for all of us faithful (and for many years) users and subscribers. It was my number one email account. Screw BM (bowel movement) magazine. I'll spend days notifying everybody and forwarding saved messages and downloads from this account to another account. I'm going to Google (@Gmail.com), at 3 Gigabytes of free memory and a legitimate company to-boot you can't go wrong. Also, I'm canceling all subscriptions, memberships, and services with Rodale. BM, take your magazine and all the high priced advertised yuppie gear in it and stick it.

papa john
07-07-2006, 18:26
Sorry to hear that but it doesn't have anything to do with this offer or WB. I am trying to help WB here and your post doesn't do anything to help.

Ridge
07-07-2006, 18:34
Sorry to hear that but it doesn't have anything to do with this offer or WB. I am trying to help WB here and your post doesn't do anything to help.

Good, because I'm all for NOT helping Backpacker Magazine or Rodale.

papa john
07-07-2006, 18:46
So, you want to hurt WB then? Why not go find another forum rather than try to thwart my fundraising efforts?

Ridge
07-07-2006, 18:53
I'm all for taking BM money. Let them buy a lifetime AD from WB, that would be great. I can't think of a better way to get their money. But they'll never get another dime of my money.

Ridge
07-07-2006, 18:58
Why not give the entire $20 to WB instead of sending it to those ***ers? You can go to www.backpacker.com (http://www.backpacker.com) and get all of them you want.

ed bell
07-07-2006, 19:18
Good, because I'm all for NOT helping Backpacker Magazine or Rodale.C'mon Ridge isn't there a dog thread somewhere for you to jump on. You got to vent about BM and your free? e-mail account getting discontinued. How about leaving Papa John and his business alone, especially since he is giving back to this website. Damn, PM the dude if you are that pissed.

Ridge
07-07-2006, 19:25
C'mon Ridge isn't there a dog thread somewhere for you to jump on. You got to vent about BM and your free? e-mail account getting discontinued. How about leaving Papa John and his business alone, especially since he is giving back to this website. Damn, PM the dude if you are that pissed.

Whats Papa John making getting out of it?

The thread title states the following "BM is now sponsering WB?" whats the ? for, either it is or it isn't. Which is it?

Sounds like the title should have been "Help me raise $15 for BM and WB will get the grand sum of $5" Do WB a favor and give them the whole $20!

papa john
07-07-2006, 19:44
If you'd take the time to READ the thread, you will see it was not started by me. BP is NOT running this promotion, I am.

And for your information, I have already made a personal donation to WB I don't see where you have.

ed bell
07-07-2006, 19:51
A) He didn't start the thread
B) He said in post #5 he donates $5 to WB for each subsciption
C) Papa John said he bought the add on WB.
Besides hating BM what is the problem here? Tell you what, how about you send WB $20 in protest of BM instead of more bitching on this thread. For the record, I haven't had a subscription to BM for 14 years.

Pacific Tortuga
07-07-2006, 19:56
I just wish every time I or 31,000 + others hit M. Sota's thread we'd donate one cent to Model T's hike for charity. I am strongly opposed to B.M. past advertising (Honda) +++ but if it helps WB's, I 'm thinking of taking Papa John up on the offer. I'm pretty sure he's not opening up an off-shore bank account on his (if any) commission.

papa john
07-07-2006, 19:59
You could always donate the subscription to a charitible organization, hospital, etc.

Ridge
07-07-2006, 20:07
This whole thing has the smell of :

1. BM paid for the AD here at WB, if so the thread tile is correct except for the explanation of the ? mark.

2. Someone here at WB is making or getting something out of the whole deal.

The ad at WB may have been paid for, however, this has nothing to do with this thread or the responses herein. If the thread had been properly titled I would have started a new thread. Too Late!

I'm still waiting on an explanation for the misleading thread title "Backpacker Magazine is now sponsoring WB?"

papa john
07-07-2006, 20:12
If you have any further questions about the ad, I would suggest that you send a PM to ATTROLL and ask him directly. He will tell you the same thing I have said over and over again.

Ridge
07-07-2006, 20:14
You could always donate the subscription to a charitible organization, hospital, etc.

I got it, Just send the $20 to WB!

Ridge
07-07-2006, 20:20
Would be better to send $15 to the Methodist Church in Damascus for the use of "The Place" for all these years by all us backpackers and then send $5 to WB. They need it a hellova lot more than BM.

papa john
07-07-2006, 20:20
That is certainly an option as well.

ed bell
07-07-2006, 20:21
I'm still waiting on an explanation for the misleading thread title "Backpacker Magazine is now sponsoring WB?"The Solemates started the thread with the question, Papa John answered in post #5. Simple.

Ridge
07-07-2006, 20:35
I do apologize for not interpreting the thread title as actually being an asked question by "The Solemates", the "is" should have been moved to the beginning of the thread. I also was not aware of the who or what concerning the add on the main page, I'm either always on line with WB or I don't wait long enough for ad's to load before clicking directly to the threads. Yes, I'm pissed at BM, not for taking down the email server because it started to cost them a little money, but because we only have 3 weeks to clean up the accounts and notify all. Incoming Mail after the 1st of August will be returned, bam, no explanations. Unfortunately, this was the first thread to pop up right after I fired off a letter to BM, and yes I showed my ASS, but I still feel places like "WhiteBlaze", "The Place" and "Ch of the Mtn at Delaware Water Gap" or even the ATC deserves the contributions more.

papa john
07-07-2006, 20:40
Fair enuff. Apology accepted.

Darwin again
07-07-2006, 20:48
Also, I'm canceling all subscriptions, memberships, and services with Rodale. BM, take your magazine and all the high priced advertised yuppie gear in it and stick it.

Ya, Rodale is as bad as the Gannett Corp. in terms of money grubbing evil empires. Let 'em twist in the wind... BP magazine is exploitative and laughable.

attroll
07-07-2006, 23:44
As Papa John said he is the one running the banner on the web site it is not Backpacker Magazine. Maybe the thread title should be changed. I did not start the thread title and did not notice it because I have been away from the computer for a couple of days and only have been on it long enough to answer PMs.

When you are running a non-profit web site that has grown a big as we have then you have to take donations when you get them because you never know when your going ot run out of money and have to pay for it out of your own pocket. So when I get a change I will take just about any donation we can get within limits of course. I have explained this many times before. When we first started the web site in 2002 it was not a big deal because it use to cost us $34 a month to run the server. Now were currently looking at something like $175 a month and with another project that I am working on that will probably double traffic to the web site it will probabky bring our cost up to $300 a month or more for a server. If we depended strictly on users donations then we would not be able to continue to keep this a non-profit site because our user donations would not cover it yearly uless someone wants to step forward and commit to donating $3,600 each year.

Sly
07-08-2006, 05:38
Wow, lots of hostility towards Backpacker Mag. You don't like it? Simple, don't order.

Regardless, it's still the best on the subject and donates a tremendous amount to Trail Days.

Lone Wolf
07-08-2006, 05:40
And just how much exactly do they donate to Trail Days? Trail Days can do fine without them.

Sly
07-08-2006, 05:42
How much money, I don't know but could maybe find out. But besides that, they give away lots of goodies/gear and gear and swept the campgrounds. I know you noticed.

Sly
07-08-2006, 05:43
Also I imagine it cost them a good deal to make up all the programs....

Ridge
07-08-2006, 06:00
The gear and goodies they give out came from manufacturers, they may have gotten paid to give them out, or at least sold them a big ad in BM.

Sly
07-08-2006, 06:07
The gear and goodies they give out came from manufacturers, they may have gotten paid to give them out, or at least sold them a big ad in BM.

When you start doing better and stop complaining, I'll listen.

dixicritter
07-08-2006, 07:54
Instead of just talking about changing the thread title, I went ahead and did it guys...LOL. You're Welcome. ;)

Toolshed
07-08-2006, 08:18
Wow Ridge,
You take the A-Hole Title (You can carry the banner as well).

Lessee....You had free e-mail use for years on a site sponsred by someone else. They decide to end it and now you're pissed at them and putting them down??
Am I missing something here?

Lone Wolf
07-08-2006, 11:12
I do apologize for not interpreting the thread title as actually being an asked question by "The Solemates", the "is" should have been moved to the beginning of the thread. I also was not aware of the who or what concerning the add on the main page, I'm either always on line with WB or I don't wait long enough for ad's to load before clicking directly to the threads. Yes, I'm pissed at BM, not for taking down the email server because it started to cost them a little money, but because we only have 3 weeks to clean up the accounts and notify all. Incoming Mail after the 1st of August will be returned, bam, no explanations. Unfortunately, this was the first thread to pop up right after I fired off a letter to BM, and yes I showed my ASS, but I still feel places like "WhiteBlaze", "The Place" and "Ch of the Mtn at Delaware Water Gap" or even the ATC deserves the contributions more.
"The Place" doesn't need donations, although over the years folks have given anonymously. What it needs is Ahole hikers to follow the very simple rules and to pay the $4 asked of them. If everybody paid thier way the church wouldn't need big donations for repairs and such that should be coming out of the donation box. I'm SOOO sick of hiker after hiker whining about being broke as they sit at Dot's drinking pitcher after pitcher of beer, smoking cigarette after cigarette and asking for work/stays. They suck!

Frolicking Dinosaurs
07-08-2006, 12:19
Well said, LWolf. I don't think any of the donation funded hostels, trail maintaining org's or other trail related groups would have any financial woes if hikers put even half the money currently going toward drinking, smoking cigarettes and smoking pot as they hike toward such groups.

The question I get most frequently from others about hiking the AT is: How do you put up with all the drinking, drugging and partying?

max patch
07-08-2006, 12:40
The question I get most frequently from others about hiking the AT is: How do you put up with all the drinking, drugging and partying?

Easy. Avoid "hiker feeds."

Sly
07-08-2006, 14:45
I agree with what LW said, some hikers don't have their priorities straight, but not all smokers, drinkers and partiers sponge off the system and pay their way, just like the righteous.

mdionne
07-08-2006, 15:46
"The Place" doesn't need donations, although over the years folks have given anonymously. What it needs is Ahole hikers to follow the very simple rules and to pay the $4 asked of them. If everybody paid thier way the church wouldn't need big donations for repairs and such that should be coming out of the donation box. I'm SOOO sick of hiker after hiker whining about being broke as they sit at Dot's drinking pitcher after pitcher of beer, smoking cigarette after cigarette and asking for work/stays. They suck!

Do the people at "The Place" use the work for stays for work? If so, then they shouldn't need donations for repairs. If not, then they should have a pay only hostel.

Ridge
07-08-2006, 20:08
When I commented about sending contributions to the church, thats what I meant. Not, intentionally earmarking the funds just for "The Place" but to send a note of thanks for their providing it to the hiker community along with a no-strings check to the church.

I agree every hiker should pay their fair share + clean up after themselves and maybe do a little extra work when staying at "The Place". If donations are needed, outside of the basic fee asked, to keep it open then I see nothing wrong with that, and I also see nothing wrong with giving to the church to help them on that end (something the majority of church members probably care more about than "The Place"), after all they've been awful generous to the hiking community over many years, whats wrong with helping them back?

Pacific Tortuga
07-08-2006, 20:49
[quote=Ridge]When I commented about sending contributions to the church, thats what I meant. , whats wrong with helping them back?[/quote

Ridge, what's wrong with helping anyone your way as long as it doesn't infringe on the rights of other's ? You nor I can look into the heart and mind's of giver's or anyone and no one way is right. "Judgeing other's", I've been taught is someone else's job .............. don't even go there L. Wolf.

The Solemates
07-10-2006, 10:25
It's hilarious to sit back, not respond, and watch people get all fussed up about nothing sometimes. I cannot believe this thread turned out like this. In my mind, all I did was ask a simple legitimate question, and people blew up for no reason. Seems like WB is getting more and more like that these days. Ridge is certainly one of them, with his reply to this thread, and his ridiculous banter about dogs on other threads as well. However, he did apologize, so let's move on. Sometimes I think people just need to sit back and relax, and perhaps not type the first thing on their mind. It will all hash out in the end. Sorry if I gave people so much stress :rolleyes:

Jack Tarlin
07-10-2006, 14:30
Max:

You seem to truly have a stick up your ass on the subject of hiker feeds. Be aware that many are NOT booze/drugfests. Many successful feeds/events are essentially free of this sort of activity.

Please stop generalizing about these events and the people who provide or attend them. Your comments on the subject come across as bitter and mean-spirited, as well as ignorant.

If YOU want to avoid such events, this is of course your privilege.

I assure you, you won't be missed.

The Solemates
07-10-2006, 17:56
Max:

You seem to truly have a stick up your ass on the subject of hiker feeds. Be aware that many are NOT booze/drugfests. Many successful feeds/events are essentially free of this sort of activity.

Please stop generalizing about these events and the people who provide or attend them. Your comments on the subject come across as bitter and mean-spirited, as well as ignorant.

If YOU want to avoid such events, this is of course your privilege.

I assure you, you won't be missed.

my point exactly.