PDA

View Full Version : Drinkable Water in New York

Bestbugz
06-27-2006, 14:36
Last summer our scout crew hiked the New Jersey Section of the At and this spring we completed the CT section. During our hike it was mentioned numerous times that the water in New York was either not there or was not good. We are starting the NY section on July 8th going SB. How is the water situation in New York? Or should we just have water drops made for us during the hike? Looking for input.

Footslogger
06-27-2006, 14:42
Well ...there is a body of water called "Nuclear Lake". That alone had me wondering during my thru in 2003.

'Slogger

Kevin A. Boyce
06-27-2006, 15:31
Well right now we are experiencing LOTS of rain... I am in eastern Dutchess County about 30 minutes from many NY/CT/MA parts of the AT. I know most streams/brooks/creeks are flowing very well. Will they still be running strong in two weeks, I am sure they will be fine. Most of the reliable and marked water sources should be OK. The west side of the Hudson is getting drenched even more too, but maybe someone over that way can comment on the reliability of the water sources.

That being said, remember to treat your water, that is my opinion; some don't with no problems, but my stomache can be sensitive, so I don't risk it.

I was hoping to get out in the Catskills; Devil's Path area, this weekend for a few days but the roads are getting trashed, so I am sure the trails are like rivers in some areas.

Catch you on the trail...
KevBoy

gsingjane
06-27-2006, 15:56
When we hiked the first 50 miles (going SOBO) in NY in April, the water sources were plentiful and great. Also (correct me if I'm wrong Kev!) the RPH Shelter has a pump (not tagged) and there is a spigot on the side of the brick house at Dennytown Road. We watered up and did not treat at either place... living dangerously?... but those were two nice instances of being able to get clean water in NY. Oh, and Greymoor Monastery's spigot makes 3 such sources.

Jane in CT

Dharma
06-27-2006, 15:58
I thought the stream just south of RPH had cleaner water than the pump. Look at both before you drink.

Kevin A. Boyce
06-27-2006, 16:02
Yep, the RPH Shelter has a pump that flows pretty nicely, it was re-dug and had a new pump installed a little over a year ago. The only downside to it, is that the water has a fair amount of iron in it so it is rusty colored. Still OK to drink, one of the few sources I don't treat from. If the color is off-putting, you can go about 50 yards behind the shelter and there is a decent stream you can pull water from. It runs well, even in times of little rain, it still has a good flow. That source I would treat though.

Bestbugz
06-27-2006, 16:29
Great, it sounds like the water should be fine. I was just concerned due to all the negative post within the shelter log books on both side of NY. Thanks Again