PDA

View Full Version : Attn: Virginia Hikers - Tinker Mountain Question

Allyson
06-27-2006, 18:36
My husband and I are planning to spend 2-3 days of our vacation in August hiking the AT in Virginia. My mom grew up on a farm in Troutville, and part of the farm was on Tinker Mountain. My mom loves to hike but can't understand the idea of camping (i.e., sleeping on the ground.) Where could we access the trail so that my mom can hike the first day with us and hike the Tinker Mountain portion of the trail? Where should we park her car so that she could go home after that one day? My mom's in her 60s but in great shape - she would be able to do about 10-12 miles in a day. Where should my husband and I park our car, to get to at the end of day 2 or 3? (the rest of our vacation will be spent with relatives at Smith Mountain Lake - we're not sure how much of our hard-earned lazing-around time we want to convert to hiking). Would really appreciate any info! Thanks! :sun

BlackCloud
06-28-2006, 07:20
My husband and I are planning to spend 2-3 days of our vacation in August hiking the AT in Virginia. My mom grew up on a farm in Troutville, and part of the farm was on Tinker Mountain. My mom loves to hike but can't understand the idea of camping (i.e., sleeping on the ground.) Where could we access the trail so that my mom can hike the first day with us and hike the Tinker Mountain portion of the trail? Where should we park her car so that she could go home after that one day? My mom's in her 60s but in great shape - she would be able to do about 10-12 miles in a day. Where should my husband and I park our car, to get to at the end of day 2 or 3? (the rest of our vacation will be spent with relatives at Smith Mountain Lake - we're not sure how much of our hard-earned lazing-around time we want to convert to hiking). Would really appreciate any info! Thanks! :sun

I don't have my maps in front of me, but the hike from Troutdale to the road just south of McAfee's Knob is about 20 miles, and a perfect 2 day overnight. One of the best linear day hikes in VA is to start at the trailhead just south of McAfee's, hike the ridge to Tinker Cliffs, and then down an access trail to the northwest to a paved road.

I don't have my maps, so I can't tell you exact distances of road names. I'm also traveling, so I won't be able to help anytime soon.....

Some one local, pick it up from here will you........

Hikerhead
06-28-2006, 07:53
I'll try...you have a couple of options. This 20 mile section has 3 trail heads. At rt 311, a blue blaze trailhead on Rt 799 and the trail head at Rt 220. These trail heads give you access to two 10 mile sections of the AT. The trail from 799 is called the Andy Layne trail. It's about 2 1/2 miles long and comes to the AT at Scorched Earth Gap. The trailhead is a couple of miles past the cement plant heading west/south on 799. The more scenic section might be from 311 to 799 which would take you over McAfee and Tinker Cliffs but the other section from 799 to 220 is loaded with good views also.

jlb2012
06-28-2006, 08:01
One possibility would be to have mom park at the Andy Layne trail head, hike up to the gap (3 miles or so) and pick up the AT there, go SOBO maybe another 0.7 or so to Tinker Cliffs at which point she turns around and you continue on to MacAfee Knob camping either before or after the knob. Next day continue on to Dragon's Tooth possibly dropping packs at Lost Spectales Gap (sp?) coming back to the packs and going down the blue blaze to the Dragon's Tooth parking area.

Hikerhead
06-28-2006, 08:03
If you need a map or supplies go see Mark at Happy Trails. Located beside the Kroger in Daleville.

BlackCloud
06-28-2006, 09:30
I'll try...you have a couple of options. This 20 mile section has 3 trail heads. At rt 311, a blue blaze trailhead on Rt 799 and the trail head at Rt 220. These trail heads give you access to two 10 mile sections of the AT. The trail from 799 is called the Andy Layne trail. It's about 2 1/2 miles long and comes to the AT at Scorched Earth Gap. The trailhead is a couple of miles past the cement plant heading west/south on 799. The more scenic section might be from 311 to 799 which would take you over McAfee and Tinker Cliffs but the other section from 799 to 220 is loaded with good views also.

This discription is exactly what I was trying to desrcibe.

EXCELLENT hike: Rt 311 up McAfee's, over Tinker and down Andy Layne.:sun

Hikerhead
06-28-2006, 17:55
That's Outdoor Trail in Daleville. Where did Happy Trails come from?

Fat Man Walking
06-29-2006, 12:05
Hey HikerHead:

Was just wondering how yall came out in all the rain. Last we spoke, it was very dry there. Looks as if my prayer for rain worked. Maybe too well.

Heading up your way in about three weeks to start my Pearisburg to Waynesboro run.

Thanks

Hikerhead
06-29-2006, 14:05
We had some small stream flash flooding just like most everyone on the east coast. I'm sure you'll see some damage when you cross some of the small creeks. Maybe a few of the bridges will be washed out. You shouldn't have any problem at all finding water. Have a great hike.
Hey HikerHead:

Was just wondering how yall came out in all the rain. Last we spoke, it was very dry there. Looks as if my prayer for rain worked. Maybe too well.

Heading up your way in about three weeks to start my Pearisburg to Waynesboro run.

Thanks