PDA

View Full Version : Capturing several quotes w/in same post?

Big Dawg
06-27-2006, 22:48
OK guys, I need some help. I've never been able to figure out, or find instructions on how to capture several quotes w/in my post. Say I want to respond to several posters all w/in my single post (all in the same thread, of course),,, I usually click the "quote" button on the 1st person I want to quote, then type my response, but am not sure how to capture the 2nd, 3rd, etc. quote & respond to that as well, all w/in 1 post. I've seen other posters do it,, so I know it can be done!!

Thanks!!

Skidsteer
06-27-2006, 23:08
OK guys, I need some help. I've never been able to figure out, or find instructions on how to capture several quotes w/in my post. Say I want to respond to several posters all w/in my single post (all in the same thread, of course),,, I usually click the "quote" button on the 1st person I want to quote, then type my response, but am not sure how to capture the 2nd, 3rd, etc. quote & respond to that as well, all w/in 1 post. I've seen other posters do it,, so I know it can be done!!

Thanks!!

-Click quote for the main post you wish to respond to
-Open another window for the thread you're posting to
-Copy and paste to your heart's content
-Use the 'wrap quote tags around selected text' button on your copy/paste quotes

:)

Alligator
06-27-2006, 23:28

Thanks!!

-Click quote for the main post you wish to respond to
-Open another window for the thread you're posting to
-Copy and paste to your heart's content
-Use the 'wrap quote tags around selected text' button on your copy/paste quotes

:)
-Don't forget to add =NameofPoster after the word Quote so we know who you are quoting.

P S. The 'wrap quote tags around selected text' button is next to the number sign and looks like a word balloon.

Just Jeff
06-28-2006, 01:12
I just copy and paste, then write the tags in myself. Tags look just like the tags that are automatically put in when you click quote...like this:

================

(quote=Skidsteer) Paste Skidsteer's quote here (/quote)

Then type your reply here.

(quote=Alligator) Paste Alligator's quote here (/quote)

Then type your reply to Alligator here

==================

- Except you replace the parenthesis with brackets []
- don't forget the slash-quote and the end - to close the quote box

This way you can do it all in one window. Just the way I do it - looks like all the others work also.

Big Dawg
06-28-2006, 08:56
Thanks guys!!

headchange4u
06-28-2006, 09:30
I have problem using copy and paste on this site. A right click will not give me the option to paste (I have never tried the keyboard shortcut. Maybe I should try that.) I know you have to be a donating member to edit posts. Is the ability to copy and paste a donating member function also?

Alligator
06-28-2006, 09:34
I have problem using copy and paste on this site. A right click will not give me the option to paste (I have never tried the keyboard shortcut. Maybe I should try that.) I know you have to be a donating member to edit posts. Is the ability to copy and paste a donating member function also?
Not as far as I know. While I can C & P both ways, I am a donating member, so I can't test this for you.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
06-28-2006, 09:42
This should read "without a name".

Fiddler
06-28-2006, 09:46
Use Notepad. Just copy and paste the first quote into notepad. Delete (in notepad) parts of the quote not relevant to the reply if you want, then type your reply. Then copy and paste the second quote into notepad, same process, then type the reply. Then copy the whole notepad message and paste into a Post Reply box. Do a Preview Post to be sure it looks as you want it, then Submit Reply.

Just Jeff
06-28-2006, 11:41
You can't C&P from other posts on the page? With one of the software updates, I couldn't copy from the message box (where I type) by right-clicking. I can still click CTRL-C after I highlight, though. If I have a long message, I always CTRL-C just in case I lose it after I hit "post"...it's happened a few times.

So anyway, try highlighting and hit CTRL-C and you should be able to paste. I don't think it's a donating member thing.

Rain Man
06-28-2006, 12:39
You can't C&P from other posts on the page? With one of the software updates, I couldn't copy from the message box (where I type) by right-clicking. I can still click CTRL-C after I highlight, though. ...

I agree.

HINT: Keyboard commands also work just fine on many (all?) sites that block mouse commands. Nice for us old farts who learned DOS before the first mouse was even invented!

Also, I agree with the post that said to use NotePad. I happen to use EditPad, a far superior version, but it's the same. Actually, any word processor should work. Copy and paste and type to your little heart's desire, then paste it all into a new message window. When it displays, go back and edit/clean-up any mistakes, and you look like a pro.

Rain:sunMan

Alligator
06-28-2006, 12:55
....Actually, any word processor should work.
Rain:sunMan

Sometimes MS Word leaves garbage. Sometimes when pasting in, you get an error about too many images.
fficeffice" /><O:p></O:p>
I think it has to do with multiple paragraphs or hidden characters in Word.

I received the following error when I pasted the above. There was an embarassed smilie that I removed and the post was accepted.

You have included 5 images in your message. You are limited to using 4 images so please go back and correct the problem and then continue again.

attroll
06-28-2006, 12:58
Is the ability to copy and paste a donating member function also?
No this is not a donating members function. Everyone can do it.

On a side note the new software update for the web site will allow multiple quotes from different users. But it is still in the beta stages and I will not install any beta software on the site. I have learned through experience not to mess with beta versions on the web site.

Big Dawg
06-28-2006, 17:20
OK, this is frustrating. I still can't do it??? Whether I put all quotes in notes, & then copy & paste to post response screen, or bring up another window, & go back to thread & copy,,, either way, I cannot paste info into response screen. I've never had the ability to paste while responding-(screen where I enter my post). I have Mozilla Firefox, & have been told that's the reason. I tried the CTRL-C to paste & it does nothing? I must be doing something wrong. H E L P :confused::confused::confused:

Skidsteer
06-28-2006, 18:30
OK, this is frustrating. I still can't do it??? Whether I put all quotes in notes, & then copy & paste to post response screen, or bring up another window, & go back to thread & copy,,, either way, I cannot paste info into response screen. I've never had the ability to paste while responding-(screen where I enter my post). I have Mozilla Firefox, & have been told that's the reason. I tried the CTRL-C to paste & it does nothing? I must be doing something wrong. H E L P :confused::confused::confused:

Here's a discussion:

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-173446.html

And another:

http://forum.mamboserver.com/showthread.php?t=18136

Sounds like a security settings and/or Firefox bug issue. Maybe you can suss it out from these links. :)

Big Dawg
06-28-2006, 19:46
No this is not a donating members function. Everyone can do it.

On a side note the new software update for the web site will allow multiple quotes from different users. But it is still in the beta stages and I will not install any beta software on the site. I have learned through experience not to mess with beta versions on the web site.
just practicing...

still practicing....

Use Notepad. Just copy and paste the first quote into notepad. Delete (in notepad) parts of the quote not relevant to the reply if you want, then type your reply. Then copy and paste the second quote into notepad, same process, then type the reply. Then copy the whole notepad message and paste into a Post Reply box. Do a Preview Post to be sure it looks as you want it, then Submit Reply.
I think I finally got it. I used the "edit" button at the top to paste,,, a clue from your link, Skidsteer. Thanks!!

:banana:banana:banana,,, sorry,,,, I never use these,, normally they bug the heck out of me,,, but today deserves dancing :banana

Thanks again all!!!

Just Jeff
06-28-2006, 20:32
CTRL+C is copy. I use SHIFT+INSERT to paste.

If the paste under the Edit menu works, then CTRL+V should work as well. Or SHIFT+INSERT.

Skidsteer
06-28-2006, 20:41
just practicing...

still practicing....

I think I finally got it. I used the "edit" button at the top to paste,,, a clue from your link, Skidsteer. Thanks!!

[3 damn bananas],,, sorry,,,, I never use these,, normally they bug the heck out of me,,, but today deserves dncing [1 damn banana]
Thanks again all!!!

De nada. Just promise to be sparing in your use of [damn bananas]. :D

Just Jeff
06-28-2006, 21:05
Just promise to be sparing in your use of [damn bananas].

SKIDSTEER FOR PRESIDENT!!

weary
06-28-2006, 21:23
Many thanks for the many comments that seem to promise interesting solutions to a real problem. I haven't figured it all out, as yet, but I'll work on it.

Weary

Big Dawg
06-29-2006, 00:27
De nada. Just promise to be sparing in your use of [damn bananas]. :D

No worries! :cool: