PDA

View Full Version : Shenandoah vs. Nest underquilt?

Burkeman
06-28-2006, 01:44
I've got a No Sniveller that I use as a top quilt - very nice! I was looking at getting the Shenandoah instead of the Nest for a bottom quilt - love to save the $$ and the 6 oz! Thoughts?

(Western Colorado backpacking, mostly 9-10K feet, 3 season with not a whole lot of hinge)

Burkeman

wentworth
06-28-2006, 03:28
My girlfriend has the Shenandoah, and I have the older model Nest. Personally, I'd prefer the Shenandoah. Quite a lot of loft (same as my nest) for the weight. I may even get one sometime in the future.

Just Jeff
06-28-2006, 12:10
Might be warmer with the thicker quilt on bottom and the SUB inside.

Burkeman
06-28-2006, 12:49
That's exactly what I'm wondering - is it better to have the thicker quilt on the top or bottom? Heat rises, so top is more important to retain that heat?

Burkeman

food
06-28-2006, 13:34
I am in the front range, but camp mostly above 10,000 ft. The Nest is just barely adequate for 3 season above 10,000.

Burkeman
06-28-2006, 14:31
Food: with what on the top?

food
06-28-2006, 15:28
Insulation is a combination of clothes, over/under quilts and closed cell pads. Worn is expedition weight long underwear, wool socks, light balaclava. The bag is a Nunatak Arc Alpinist with the straps removed. The under quilt is a Jacks ‘R’ Better Nest. When the temperature goes below 30 degrees I add a PolarGuard jacket. A RidgeRest 3/4 closed cell pad is the final part of the insulation. The pad is mostly used as the ground cloth under the hammock, in the camp chair kit and as a sit pad, but it gives the option of sleeping on the ground and can be pulled inside the hammock when the temperature drops below 25 degrees. With the pad inside the hammock I believe the system will go to 10 degrees, but have never verified the low range.