PDA

View Full Version : Vermont Long Trail

Anghiker
06-28-2006, 09:52
I have been section hiking the Long Trail. I like to hike mid week and can't seem to find anyone then to hike with me. We need two cars for the car spots.
My question, is there anyone out there who is trying to do the same and needs help with the car spots and doesn't want to hike alone?
Angie

gsingjane
06-28-2006, 12:39
My plan for the summer of 2007 is to do this one with my two middle kids. We are hoping to do it from beginning to end, though.

If you had anything special to tell us about this trail, I'd be so excited to hear it! This will be our first > 1 week hike and I'm getting fired up already!

Jane in CT

Anghiker
06-28-2006, 14:09
I think the only thing you need to know is that the first 100 miles from Mass. line to Killington is the easier section. It gets pretty rugged when you start getting into the 4000 footer areas. It's very doable though, just pace yourself.
I have taken my then 7 year old grandson up in those areas and he has done fine although he wasnt' backpacking it.
Enjoy your trip.

gsingjane
06-28-2006, 14:23
That's very good to know. It's better to start off with the easier sections, at least IMO. It will be the first time (for me, not for my son who's off to Philmont in three weeks!) to get up to any altitude at all. I just wish we could go this summer, but it will be something very special to look forward to for next year.

Jane in CT

poison_ivy
06-28-2006, 17:40
Anghiker -- I'm doing the same thing but unfortunately I can only hike on weekends. Have you got a copy of the End to Ender's Guide? There is a list of people in the back who will shuttle for sections (if you don't have it and want the numbers send me a pm and I'll send them to you.) I contacted one of the shuttlers for an upcoming trip and he said I was the first person to call all season. His price was very reasonable... though it doesn't solve the hiking alone issue. :)

gsingjane -- The LT is a great trail and I'm sure you'll have a great time! I did the southern 100 miles in 2003 and am finishing up the northern half this year. Definitely considering staying overnight at Stratton Pond and Goddard Shelters... two of my favorites along the trail so far.
- Ivy

Anghiker
06-28-2006, 19:30
Ivy,
I can sometimes do a Sunday but my Saturdays are full.
Are you backpacking or just day hiking?
Thanks for the shuttle info. I do have that book and will look at it but your correct it doesn't solve the hiking alone issue.
I have done from Mass border to Killington and from Canada border to Tilloston Camp and some spots in between. I think I still have about 120 miles to go.
Angie

poison_ivy
06-28-2006, 20:06
Are you backpacking or just day hiking?

I usually do a one-night backpacking trip since I have a somewhat long drive up to Vermont (four-plus hours one way at this point.) I am heading northbound and have from Appalachian Gap to Journey's end left to do... I am hoping to finish the trail on Labor Day weekend.

- Ivy

Casper
07-06-2006, 10:16
I'm planning an end-to-end Long Trail hike, starting 8/17 in Williamstown, Mass, finishing around 9/8. Maybe I'll see you out on the trail!