PDA

View Full Version : after-hike ideas

johnny quest
06-28-2006, 15:43
im trying to think of another adventure to tag on to the end of my thru-hike. any ideas? maybe bike back home? pick up a boat and sail back down south?

Footslogger
06-28-2006, 15:48
I thought a lot about that as my hike came to an end. Problem for me was that I had run out of time. What I might have done if time had not become an issue, was to backtrack slowly southward and revisit places I passed through quickly on my hike. Actually, a bike would be a great way to do that, given the shape my legs were in at that point.

I know of a few hikers who went out to the Maine coast and toured lighthouses.

'Slogger

Lone Wolf
06-28-2006, 15:48
I'd worry about just finishing a thru-hike first. You're chances of completing one are slim.

dreamhiker
06-28-2006, 16:00
Go on to Canada on the IAT

johnny quest
06-28-2006, 16:03
I'd worry about just finishing a thru-hike first. You're chances of completing one are slim.

oh lord. give me my dreams. we are all finishers at the beginnning and it hurts not at all to plan and dream and scheme.

i know that thru-hiking completion rates are low but i believe you would agree with me that they are for personal reasons (time, money, personal problems) rather than the physical task.

Peaks
06-28-2006, 16:14
If the question is: What are you going to do for your next great adventure? Then the answers are numerous. Some go on to hike another long distance trail. Some even hike the AT again (and again) Others might do a long distance bike ride. Some do a long distance canoe.

But I think that most of us just go back to a "normal" life, but with a new perspective.

The Solemates
06-28-2006, 16:37
we took a 2 week eastern seaboard tour to get home. visited all up and down the coast of maine, went to boston for 2 days, stopped in places in NH, PA and VA, etc.

Skyline
06-28-2006, 17:00
After Katahdin, I had a hole I had to leave in mid-Maine due to illness to go finish--so I technically finished rather anti-climactically at Caribou Valley Rd.

After that, I rendezvoused with some folks I spent several weeks with in Maine, at Acadia National Park. This is a NP right on the coast, near Bar Harbor. Very pricey in town, but there are two campgrounds right in the Park that are not expensive at all. Got to line up in the AM to get a site, tho. Fortunately my friends had already done that and I simply set up within their site. :-)

Very scenic area, lots of trails in case you really want to hike some more (yep, we did--but not 'til our last day there), good food, and SEALS! Mostly, it was just a great place to kick back and relax after busting ass in Maine during 2003's monsoons.

Alligator
06-28-2006, 17:05
After Katahdin, I had a hole I had to leave in mid-Maine due to illness to go finish--so I technically finished rather anti-climactically at Caribou Valley Rd.

After that, I rendezvoused with some folks I spent several weeks with in Maine, at Acadia National Park. This is a NP right on the coast, near Bar Harbor. Very pricey in town, but there are two campgrounds right in the Park that are not expensive at all. Got to line up in the AM to get a site, tho. Fortunately my friends had already done that and I simply set up within their site. :-)

Very scenic area, lots of trails in case you really want to hike some more (yep, we did--but not 'til our last day there), good food, and SEALS! Mostly, it was just a great place to kick back and relax after busting ass in Maine during 2003's monsoons.If you decide on Bar Harbor, there are also a few private campgrounds outside the park and a shuttle service to and from town. Theses buses have bike racks on the front, with biking possible through Acadia also.

MOWGLI
06-28-2006, 17:18
Start by hiking the Knife Edge after you summit Katahdin.

The Solemates
06-28-2006, 17:25
..and in the long-range after our AT hike, we have taken up peakbagging, which complies well with our working schedule. we leave for a week in utah and idaho tomorrow.

T-Dubs
06-28-2006, 22:43
maybe bike back home?

This will get you close:

http://www.discoverytrail.org/

Tom

Time To Fly 97
06-29-2006, 10:12
As you get into the later stages of your thru-hike, you'll know yourself so much better than you do now. This is an inevitable blessing of long distance hiking. You meet your spirit side, spend a lot of time together and end up wanting to share all the joy and love you have inside with everyone around you (random acts of kindness, etc.). You'll see : )

That's the time to think about what you want to do.

Focus on your hike now. It is a blessing given to very few people. You are fortuneate and have truly great times ahead of you.

TTF

MOWGLI
06-29-2006, 10:35
I like your perspective Time to Fly.

Lone Wolf
06-29-2006, 10:50
oh lord. give me my dreams. we are all finishers at the beginnning and it hurts not at all to plan and dream and scheme.

i know that thru-hiking completion rates are low but i believe you would agree with me that they are for personal reasons (time, money, personal problems) rather than the physical task.
Have your dreams but reality is much different. And I agree the AT ain't that tough physically. Have fun.:)