PDA

View Full Version : 3rd and 4th NOBOS of the season summit 6-26

dloome
06-28-2006, 16:55
Myself (BLEACH) and Woody Crow summited the big K on June 26th a couple days after Bone-Pac and Trek. I started March 8 and Woody started March 5 .

This is also my first post on whiteblaze. It took me the entire trail to pick up on the fact that this is kind of where everyone keeps in touch, so here I am.
How exciting.

Lone Wolf
06-28-2006, 16:57
Did y'all get a prize?

jlb2012
06-28-2006, 17:05
whatever happened to Bear (Jan 1 start) ?

mweinstone
06-28-2006, 18:38
you both rule and rock.

peanuts
06-28-2006, 18:54
CONGRATULATIONS!! ON YOUR HIKE!:banana

Footslogger
06-28-2006, 19:00
[quote=-BLEACH-]Myself (BLEACH) and Woody Crow summited the big K on June 26th a couple days after Bone-Pac and Trek. I started March 8 and Woody started March 5 .
================================
Congrats ...at that pace if you get a quick ride back down to Springer you could re-hike the trail and get to Katahdin about the time most of this year's hikers get there.

You guys musta been smokin' !!!

'Slogger

papa john
06-28-2006, 20:42
Congratulations, I hope the memories last you a lifetime!

TJ aka Teej
06-28-2006, 22:24
This is also my first post on whiteblaze.
:welcome
How was the weather for your summit day?

attroll
06-29-2006, 02:43
This is also my first post on whiteblaze. It took me the entire trail to pick up on the fact that this is kind of where everyone keeps in touch, so here I am.
How exciting.

It is nice to know that the word is gettting out on the Trail about this web site.

Congrats.

Askus3
06-29-2006, 06:50
Your pace was incredible! I stayed with you in Hikers Paradise in Gorham the night of June 10. You zoomed thru Maine in mostly rainy weather in 16 days - WOW!!! I know you were putting in some heavy mileage as your goal was to make it to Fulling Goose Lean-to from US 2 that night. Which involved alot of wet hiking and numerous ups and downs. But then again that probably is your impression of the state of Maine (lots of wet hiking). You must have had some difficult fords down the home stretch. By the way, I was the fellow hacking away in the small room at the end of the hall near the bathroom. I came home two days later after my section hike and was diagnosed with pneumonia. I guess that is what happens when you push yourself in wet clothes and hiking in the rain when you are not 100%. I am better now, after a week of R&R and anti-biotics when i returned home.

Trek, I met at Dunn Notch, near Andover, ME on June 6.

I only hope you can go back to Maine in some nice weather and see this trail when the sun shines and it is nice and pretty. Congratulations on completing your journey.

StarLyte
06-29-2006, 06:52
Congrats to you and Woody!!!!
Did you post any pictures here?

Kaptain Kangaroo
06-29-2006, 07:15
Well done Bleach, great to hear that you finished (although your trip is not yet over I suppose). Seems like such a long time since we hiked with you way back in Virginia (??) Pinky & I should be done around July 12. Sunshine & Lockjaw are still on the trail but a little behind us.

Cheers,

Kaptain

Lone Wolf
06-29-2006, 07:20
1st place is all that matters. Nobody remembers who was 3rd place in a race.:cool:

colbys
06-29-2006, 09:22
well how many times has anybody went northbound from springer in one year?youd have to have a great support team for that.could someone hike northbound 4 times in one calendar year?wolf are you up to support someone 4 times in 12 months.seems like these kids here could do it.only took em 90 days+ to go north,just jump on the next flight from bangor to the ATL and start again,finish in oct,then repeat...
hell could squeaky northbound thru 9 times in one year? 40 days x 9 =360 days,with 5 town days.

g8trh8tr
06-29-2006, 10:29
Congrats Bleach on your through. I met you, Coconut Monkey and Dewrag while section hiking with some old Army buddies just north of Pearisburg, Va in April. Glad to hear you made it and made it safely. Do you have any updates on Coconut Monkey and/or Dewrag.

dloome
06-29-2006, 12:32
Do-Rag was a few days behind us, I think she had some family coming out who couldn't make it until early July so I gather she was slowing down a bit.

Katahdin was a class II for us, but a good one. Just cloudy with a very occasional light sprinkle. Good views without being cooked under the sun, I thought it was perfect.

I last saw Bear (hiking with "Pan?") in New York. They seemed to be in Good Spirits. Coconut Monkey I last saw in Pennsylvania. I think he and Jolly Green Giant went to Trail Days and I hear have been hiking together since. My guess is that Do will be the next one in followed by Taco, then maybe Pa Bert and Robin's Nest? Hard to say where they are now, last saw them in Kent, CT.

Askus3, I remember meeting you at Hiker's "Paradise" in Gorham. We affectionately dubbed you "Bronchi" due to the violent noises coming from down the hall. Glad you're feeling better, and sorry for eating your cookies, juice, cereal and donuts. (But come on, they were in a plastic bin on the floor of a hiker hostel kitchen. :D) Maine was great, except for a few thunderstorms all went well. The trail wasn't absurdly muddy, most days were sunny and warm, and the bugs weren't much of an issue- perfect nap weather. :cool:

Hey Kaptain, great to hear from you! It certainly has been awhile, I think the last time I saw you was just outside of Damascus. Is Team Steve still on the trail? Good luck to you and Pinky on the rest of your hike. I'm in Portland ME, visiting some friends right now but wil be back out hiking in a week or so.

Sorcerer
06-29-2006, 12:53
I was just up in Maine hiking myself and here's who I met:

Coconut Monkey was in Andover on June 26

Robin's Nest was somewhere a little North of Rangeley on June 26 w/Batman last I heard.

Guns of Jesus and his two friends from Massachussets (can't remember their names) left South Arm Road (Andover) on June 26.

Bird Nut was headed south out of Grafton Notch on June 28.

Lefty was southbound out of Grafton Notch on June 27.

About 10 other SOBOs I passed between Gorham and Andover, but I didn't really get much information out of them......too busy hiking!

okiedoo
06-29-2006, 13:37
congrats hope it was a great time 4 the 2 of ya

TOW
06-29-2006, 14:26
right on, i'm glad you made it!!!!!

ferryman
06-29-2006, 17:55
Hey Bleach and Woody Crow, Congratulations on finishing your long hike of the Appalachian Trail. Must seem like an eternity having left Springer on March 8. Enjoy your stay in Maine at Portland's scenic Old Port section of town. Getting home to Minnesota is a fitting reward. Do-Rag crossed the Kennebec River on 6-22, Pa Bert and Taco on 6-23, Robin's Nest and Batman on 6-28. Have a great fourth of July everyone! Steve Longley

Miss Janet
06-29-2006, 19:17
[QUOTE=Sorcerer]I was just up in Maine hiking myself ....

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!

So you have done it all... now do you start all over again??

IS IT OK IF I AM VERY PROUD OF YOU??!!!!

Cheesewhiz
06-29-2006, 21:16
SO TELL ME, What the hell did you see on your trek while RUNNING past all the white blazes and who did you meet? I started on the 22 of March and I am now at Pine grove furnace.

Lone Wolf
06-29-2006, 21:38
SO TELL ME, What the hell did you see on your trek while RUNNING past all the white blazes and who did you meet? I started on the 22 of March and I am now at Pine grove furnace.
Cheesehhiz is the sht! But in defense of BLEACH and them, they HTOH. Ain't we all different?:banana

Sorcerer
06-30-2006, 09:05
I didn't finish on these trips. My first whack back in May was cut short because of 30 days of rain in NH. Jack was right about it being a bit early for being in NH. Actually, other than so much rain it would have been perfect, but I'm a semi-fair-weather hiker, so I came home. After both trips I ended up making it to ME 4 (Rangeley). I still lack 220 miles to finish. Hopefully next year I'll get to finish.

It's ok if you're proud though. You're part of the reason I've enjoyed my hiking so much. It's nice to have the trail community (and a fixture of said community) not too far away so I can stay connected.

After I finish, who knows what's in store next. Maybe doing it all again, maybe doing just the parts I really enjoyed the most again, or maybe starting on the PCT. I do believe I'll go back and do the stretch between Springer and Fontana again, now that I've trimmed the pack down and I'm in a bit better shape. I didn't enjoy that stretch so much because I was too heavily loaded and really out of shape. I think I'd like it much better now.

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!

So you have done it all... now do you start all over again??

IS IT OK IF I AM VERY PROUD OF YOU??!!!!

Jaybird
06-30-2006, 09:38
Myself (BLEACH) and Woody Crow summited the Big K on June 26th a couple days after Bone-Pac and Trek. I started March 8 and Woody started March 5 . This is also my first post on whiteblaze. It took me the entire trail to pick up on the fact that this is kind of where everyone keeps in touch, so here I am.How exciting.

CONGRATS on the summit....NOW...you're ready to head SOBO!:D

Heater
06-30-2006, 09:43
1st place is all that matters. Nobody remembers who was 3rd place in a race.:cool:

Last to K wins. :cool:

Heater
06-30-2006, 09:46

Stop in PA and get a Cheese steak... onions and whiz. You earned it.

:D

mweinstone
06-30-2006, 21:00
im really proud of this years class. cause they have class.

Cheesewhiz
07-01-2006, 12:23
I went into Philadelphia last night for a concert and a real cheesesteak!!!

Amigi'sLastStand
07-01-2006, 16:28
Did y'all get a prize?
Does Squeaky?

Amigi'sLastStand
07-01-2006, 16:30
Myself (BLEACH) and Woody Crow summited the big K on June 26th a couple days after Bone-Pac and Trek. I started March 8 and Woody started March 5 .

How exciting.
Congrats. And Welcome to WB.

Kaptain Kangaroo
07-01-2006, 17:55
Hey Bleach, it's actually Pinky here. Kaptain and I are in Stratton, ME right now, and on schedual. Team Steve is indeed still on the trail. He's somewhere in the Whites at the moment. So all of us are still on, which is really nice. Also, I hope you enjoy my wonderful home town, Portland. If you need anything, email me ([email protected]) and I'll give you my parents number. I know that sounds akward and I'm sure you won't because you have friends there, but a connection is a connection anyway. Congrats on your hike! All the best, Pinky.

Lone Wolf
07-02-2006, 10:32
Does Squeaky?
Why would he? He's in England. Duh.:rolleyes:

Amigi'sLastStand
07-03-2006, 01:12
Why would he? He's in England. Duh.:rolleyes:
Just pointing out you piss on these folks accomplishment for going so fast, yet defend Squeaky at every turn in his sub40 attempt. I'm glad you did point out they HTOH.

Spiritual Pillgrim
07-04-2006, 23:09
:confused:

Sorry, didn't know thru hiking was a race.
For me, finishing is what matters.:banana

arbor
07-08-2006, 18:10
Whats up bleach, Laurent here. Way to go on your thruhike, it was great hiking with you and woody. I have a funny pic of that huge feast we had on the side of the road that one day in Maine I'll try to put on here. Good luck on the Long Trail and your trip home to!

TinAbbey
07-09-2006, 10:58
hey bleach
this is team steve, i was looking through your posts to see what you had to say and found this thread. Right now I'm in Stratton, Maine taking a zero. I'm gonna summit on July 20th. Just straight up cruzing to the great mountain. Congratulations on your hike. and good luck on the rest of your hiking. It seems like you're doing the LT and then some or all of the IAT. I appreciate your register entries always looked for 'em. send a message or post again to update me on your hikes

emersonlittlehale
07-11-2006, 08:22

Who cares what some old, hiker trash, loser burnout has to say. Don't waste your time, effort and energy worrying about what L Wolf posts.

TOW
07-11-2006, 08:44

Who cares what some old, hiker trash, loser burnout has to say. Don't waste your time, effort and energy worrying about what L Wolf posts.excuse me pal, but i truly would like to pit lone wolf against you out there on the trail any given day just to see who would out hike who......another thing, he maybe hiker trash but he is definetly not a "loser burnout"......it is true that one should not take to heart too much, that is unless it applies, what my friend lone wolf has to say about your hike....the fact is that you did it and you should be proud of it, it is a good accomplishment......and brag all you want, but know this, not everyone that is here on whiteblaze is impressed....so if your going to post something be prepared to accept what comes out of it and alway conduct your speech here as you would in person because i will tell you that what lone wolf may say here he will say to you right up front......

Lone Wolf
07-11-2006, 08:49

Who cares what some old, hiker trash, loser burnout has to say. Don't waste your time, effort and energy worrying about what L Wolf posts.
Sticks and stones sweetie...:D

dloome
07-11-2006, 20:55
Team Steve! Glad to see you're still on the trail, looks like no one in that group has dropped out yet, all that beer and watermelon consumed on the trail must buoy the spirit. :-? I have a great shot of you loading up the pack with Miller, I'll send it to you when I get around to organizing all my photos. Yeah, I am heading out on Monday for another 3-4 weeks/ 700 miles or thereabouts. Doing the LT, then basically walking home from Thunder Bay Ontario using the border route and Superior trails. Hope you have an awesome hike, say hi to Sunshine and Lockjaw if they are around.

Hey Laurent, I sent you a private message. Send me the pic of our road side feast if you can. :D Snack attack motha f***er!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by L. Wolf

So true. I guess it's a good thing I wasn't in a race then. whew!:rolleyes:

mweinstone
07-13-2006, 16:19
yo bleach, i remember the day you left kinncorra after your trail work with bob and we were up the trail when you all scampered off with watermelon and beer and southbound daytrippers were telling us to catch you all if we wanted any. you guys really stirred up that old peice of trail that day. we were thinking alot about how you carryed it. we understood the why. more gangs of hikers should make dinners and slow down to work more often. me and jessica and jason were pretty impressed but we were too lazy to help with trail work. crutch warned me in franklin not to miss out on working with bob and now im a fool and i feel like i lost a great moment. right on bleach.

welsa
07-16-2006, 01:43
For those who may be interested, Do-Rag, Taco and Pa Bert completed our thru-hikes on July 1, climbing Mt Katahdin together. We were #5, 6 & 7 for 2006..............Pa Bert

mweinstone
07-16-2006, 06:09
youz da man! taco doo rag ,pa bert,glad i met you all .

Bone Pac
08-12-2006, 21:30
Congrats Bleach! I enjoyed hiking with you.

mweinstone
08-12-2006, 21:56
cause you an bleach are super sonic speed deamons. deamons in a good way. like,....good, nice ,....deamons. wait . lemmy put this different. you are a deamon but a good one,...no,no no. okay . the deamons witch you resemble are those good ones kids like like,... taz! yeah ,.. there ya go. tazmainian devil. their fun loving creachers.okay so your both ,... THE TAZ!