PDA

View Full Version : Ready-To-Eat Indian Food

StarLyte
06-28-2006, 17:37
Hi everyone-

We somehow got on the subject of curry the other day, I believe Mowgli16 mentioned he couldn't get the taste out of his pot. The subject then went into Thai and Indian cuisine by myself, and here we are again. I mentioned that I'd post this information on READY-TO-EAT Indian food: available at your larger grocery stores, and I have even seen these at SuperWallyWorld.

http://www.rajafoods.com/swad/rte.asp
The first link will take you to a page where you can view all of their different dinners. Click on ready-to-eat. My favorite: Mutter Paneer- chunks of cheese in a rich tomato curry sauce with peas and other vegetables-very delicious. I pour it over jasmine rice. Today I'm having Channa Masala : chick peas in curry sauce with vegetables. They come in thick plastic, you can pour them into your titanium or grease pot and just heat it up, or take the unopened pouch and immerse in boiling water for 3-5 minutes to heat up. You can microwave this pouch but cut a vent first.

http://www.kitchensofindia.com/index_1024.htm
These dinners are packaged in thick foil with an inner plastic lining. They are also very delicious-many varieties.

I take these backpacking, obviously. They cost $2.39 to $2.89 each. They are hearty and delicous. Again, if you're a big eater, you can consume one box.

I'd like to mention that jasmine rice takes half the time to cook and you can find it in generic. I paid $1.79 for a small bag that serves 8 people.

You'll like these, even if you're not a vegetarian.

......forgot to mention it goes great with Blackstone merlot :D

Marsha
"StarLyte"

peanuts
06-28-2006, 18:48
Ok StarLyte, I love Indian food, and I have not seen them in my nexks of the wood....HELP!!!!!:eek:

MOWGLI
06-28-2006, 19:19
Looks good. Can you tell me what some of the meals weigh? Any calorie info? Just that info for a couple of meals would be helpful.

Thanks.

StarLyte
06-28-2006, 20:41
Looks good. Can you tell me what some of the meals weigh? Any calorie info? Just that info for a couple of meals would be helpful.

Thanks.

SWAD - Channa Masala dinner - (chick peas in curry sauce)
Weight exactly 1 lb. without the box
Serving per container 2-3 (really only feeds 1-2)
Amount per serving:
Total serving: 9.9 oz
Calories 148, from fat 54
Protein 6 gms
Carbs 17 gms
sodium 322 mg
fat 6 gms

KITCHENS OF INDIA - Pindi Chana dinner (Chick peas in curried tomato sauce)
Weighed 1.4 lbs. without the box
Amount per serving:
Total serving: 10 oz
Calories 210, from fat 90
Protein 8 gms
Carbs 24 grams
Sodium 830 mg
fat 10 grams

Excellent taste but remember.....curry......spicy......the rice will cut the spiciness a little :rolleyes:

StarLyte
06-28-2006, 20:45
Ok StarLyte, I love Indian food, and I have not seen them in my nexks of the wood....HELP!!!!!:eek:

I'll bring you some when I see you at the Southern Ruck again girlfriend.
Thought I forgot didn't you.

Alligator
06-28-2006, 21:26
Here's another company with ready to eat. I have never tried them.
http://www.tastybite.com/

StarLyte
06-28-2006, 21:47
Here's another company with ready to eat. I have never tried them.
http://www.tastybite.com/

I see these a lot - even at the grocery store at Zion National Park! I've never tried them. Better give it a shot.

sarbar
06-28-2006, 22:56
If you have Trader Joe's near, visit! They carry Indian meals :)

Lanthar Mandragoran
06-29-2006, 13:21
wow... nice... this definitely going in my list of 'things to try'... I really like indian food...

MOWGLI
06-29-2006, 13:40
SWAD - Channa Masala dinner - (chick peas in curry sauce)
Weight exactly 1 lb. without the box
Amount per serving:
Total serving: 9.9 oz
Calories 148, from fat 54
Protein 6 gms
Carbs 17 gms
sodium 322 mg
fat 6 gms

KITCHENS OF INDIA - Pindi Chana dinner (Chick peas in curried tomato sauce)
Weighed 1.4 lbs. without the box
Amount per serving:
Total serving: 10 oz
Calories 210, from fat 90
Protein 8 gms
Carbs 24 grams
Sodium 830 mg
fat 10 grams

Excellent taste but remember.....curry......spicy......the rice will cut the spiciness a little :rolleyes:

Thanks Marsha. These particular meals don't have enuf "bang" to justify me carrying them on an extended trip - but certainly on an overnight or weekend jaunt. Thanks for taking the time to do this.

max patch
06-29-2006, 14:09
I mentioned that I'd post this information on READY-TO-EAT Indian food: available at your larger grocery stores, and I have even seen these at SuperWallyWorld.

My copy of the Liberal Handbook states that under no circumstances should I shop at WalMart for some BS reason or another.

What should I do?

MOWGLI
06-29-2006, 14:39
My copy of the Liberal Handbook states that under no circumstances should I shop at WalMart for some BS reason or another.

What should I do?

Don't shop at WalMart - unless of course you want to drive up the Federal Trade Deficit and help send even more American manufacturers overseas. In my copy of the Conservative Handbook, you're supposed to do that at every turn. It's good for the bottom line - workers be damned (especially if they're Union workers!).

So I guess you've found yourself in a quandry Max. ;)

Newb
06-29-2006, 16:00
I packed a couple of these the last time I hiked. They were so spicy I couldn't eat them. Beware to you spice wimps (like me) out there.

Ridge
06-29-2006, 18:31
I'd be interested in the high calorie/high fat foods made from Indian recipes that I could carry on the trail, especially freeze dried. The hikers I know want all the calories they can get especially when doing several days of cross country or an extended hike. I know on my thru hike I couldn't keep up my starting weight, which was on the upper end of the BMI of about 24. We concentrated on high calorie and mass quantities of food. The mac/cheese just didn't do it. We ate a lot of sardines in oil, Vienna sausages, spam, boiled eggs. Snickers bars and ice cream at stores. While in restaurants we wanted lots of biscuits along with a river of gravy and anything fried (especially chicken). Beer(lagers) and pizza was always a good reason for going into town or to a store.

StarLyte
06-29-2006, 19:34
Yes, high-caloric foods are appropriate for the thru-hiker.

Yes, these are spicy, and yes they do weigh a little.

I am assuming a sectioner would appreciate these.

Max Patch-I only mentioned that I've seen these at Wally World. I don't support any merchant---anywhere.

Marsha
"StarLyte"

LostInSpace
06-30-2006, 01:21
Don't shop at WalMart - unless of course you want to drive up the Federal Trade Deficit and help send even more American manufacturers overseas. In my copy of the Conservative Handbook, you're supposed to do that at every turn. It's good for the bottom line - workers be damned (especially if they're Union workers!).

I second that recommendation!!! I was laid off because of my employer's Wal*Mart (cheap at any cost) mentality. Those people that shop at Wal*Mart are getting their savings at the expense of American jobs ... and I'm not talking about the jobs at Wal*Mart's competitors that are lost. Wal*Mart drives its suppliers out of business, unless they are able to relocate to China to keep cost down. BTW, China produces eighty percent of all products that Wal*Mart sells, and the percentage is increasing. :(:(

fiddlehead
06-30-2006, 04:04
It's tough to find high-fat food in Asia. (Of course, i see more and more deep fried chicken but that's not too sensible for trailfood.)
If you want high-fat food, stick to American (or Mexican)
Why do you think Asian's are mostly skinny? (no cheese, no french fries, lots of veggies, fish and rice)