PDA

View Full Version : Last minute questions

lilpuppie
06-28-2006, 18:39
Hi everyone. I'd like to thank this community first off for all of the great information I've received either directly or passively by reading other posts. I am leaving on my SOBO hike this Friday and have but a few last minute questions.

I was informed that my airline does not allow the IsoButane canisters I have for my snowpeak gs-100a stove on the plane at all, including in checked luggage. I need to know if I should overnight this fuel up to Millinocket or Medway, or if I can buy a few to get me through the first 9 days or so from an outfitter or other store in that area. Does anyone know for certain where I can buy some canisters of fuel up there? (I'm planning to sleep 1 night in Bangor, and 1 night in either Medway or Millinocket, then get into the park).

I read somewhere a while back that I can create a "tent" out of my Hennessey hammock using my trekking poles, but I've been unable to find this thread (this might be because I'm sleep deprived and generally stressed to the max with everything I have left to do). Do you know the method for this?

I know everyone recommends taking a day/fanny pack to summit Katahdin instead of their full pack (this makes sense) but I read somewhere that the ranger station close to (or in) Katahdin Stream Campground or at the base of the mountain has these for rent or just to borrow. Can anyone confirm this? I'd hate to bring a fanny pack if I don't need it, only to mail it home a week down the trail.

Thanks again for everyone's hospitality. I'm really looking forward to this trip!

-Jeremy

Skidsteer
06-28-2006, 19:18
WRT 'going to ground' in a hammock:

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=9891&highlight=ground+setup

Lone Wolf
06-28-2006, 19:21
Yes. free use of day packs at KSC ranger station.

Footslogger
06-28-2006, 19:23
[quote=lilpuppie]I was informed that my airline does not allow the IsoButane canisters I have for my snowpeak gs-100a stove on the plane at all, including in checked luggage. I need to know if I should overnight this fuel up to Millinocket or Medway, or if I can buy a few to get me through the first 9 days or so from an outfitter or other store in that area.
==================================
Don't know for sure if you can source the cannisters up in Millinocket/Medway but I do know that you can't "overnight" them. Cannister fuel has to be shipped by ground.

I know everyone recommends taking a day/fanny pack to summit Katahdin instead of their full pack (this makes sense) but I read somewhere that the ranger station close to (or in) Katahdin Stream Campground or at the base of the mountain has these for rent or just to borrow. Can anyone confirm this? I'd hate to bring a fanny pack if I don't need it, only to mail it home a week down the trail.
================================
Yes ...there are daypacks on the porch of the ranger station at Katahdin Stream campground (first come/first serve) so you don't have to bring one.

'Slogger